ADVERTISEMENT

Post-Game Commentary: Cats vs. Vandy

rbs

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
* I don’t have anything good to say about that mess … yet another SEC loss at home for the Cats … 6 consecutive SEC losses at home … and again to Vanderbilt. That was essentially a repeat of the South Carolina game performance. It was a bad and sloppy performance by the Cats. As of right now, it’s looking like the anomaly of our season is our win over Ole Miss.

* Arguably, because of our inability to score, this game was lost in the last half of the 2nd Q when the Cats played awful in all facets … Vandy took advantage and scored, and it set the stage for Vandy to take control of the game with the opening drive in the 2nd half to expand the lead to two scores … and then we failed to score with 2nd and foot to go on the goal line … you play that stretch that bad you lose.

* Seems to me that our offense still doesn’t know what or who it is … Cats scored 13 pts … not going to win games with this inept of an offense … said this 3-4 weeks ago, the preseason hype to play a faster tempo … we are apparently just not committed to that approach.

* A boatload of bad penalties by the Cats … drive killing penalties … very undisciplined play … inexcusable.

* Too many missed tackles by our defense. … and they got too many short gains to the right side… I don’t know how many times we gave up a 1st down by missing a tackle and/or giving up YAC when Vandy went to the right. Defense wasn’t its best tonight, but probably good enough to win at home with a competent offense.

* Our previously reliable FG/XP game was a disaster tonight with two muffed holds. Ridiculous.

* Have no idea why Stoops didn’t call a timeout before Vandy’s last punt … allowed a minute of time to go off the clock after the sack of the Vandy QB … massive coaching error there.

* Up Next: Cats travel to Florida for a night game in the Swamp against an improving Gator team. …

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.