ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Greatest Military Leader/Tactician of all time.

Who was the GOAT at doing more with less?

• Alexander the Great

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Napoleon Bonaparte

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Julius Caesar

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Hannibal Barca

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 24.0%

• Total voters
Lee and Grant were impressive for sure. Grant at Vicksburg.
Grant was superior everywhere he went - from Paducah to Appomattox - & sent people - The Rock of Chickamauga at Chattanooga & Sherman to the Sea - ex the Petersburg crater explosion. Best horse riding general ever to boot.

I heard a quote on Dan Carlin’s Wrath of the Khans Hardcore History podcast series that something like 1 in 50 males in China proper today are direct descendants of Ghenghis Khan.

That’s a lot of bangin.
Not just china- It's more like 1 in 200 of the entire global population that share his DNA

zod-kneel-before-zod.gif

admiral-ackbar-first-order.gif

Great Britain, and Russia are REALLY fvcking hard to conquer. That is my main takeaway from studying military history.

Definitely not worth the effort. The weather sucks, the food sucks, and the challenges are quite different.

Occupying Russia is impossible. Those fvckers have unlimited land to retreat into. It's like trying to plant a flag in oatmeal. They'll just keep running away, and then, at some point, you know, WINTER, and that's the old ballgame. You're done. Meanwhile, all of the sh*t you HAD occupied, before you went on the Russian campaign has gone to hell.

Great Britain - well, they're just stubborn as hell, and when you finally get there to have a look, ummmm, enthusiasm wanes.

I voted for other because Genghis Khan is the answer you seek. In fact many of the Khans were a force to be reckoned with. Attila and Sulla among them.

All of the others died before they reached their goal too. Genghis managed to finish what he set out to do.

Reactions: thabigbluenation
Hugh Dowding, the head of the RAF Fighter Command, wasn't a conqueror, but he developed the brilliant and innovative integrated defensive system that saved England from Germany during the Battle of Britain.

Dowding was fortunate the Luftwaffe stopped pulverizing RAF airfields. They were on the verge of neutralizing the RAF until that happened.

Also - no drop tanks for 109s meant German fighters had very little loiter time over England.

Reactions: JumperJack
A solid case can be made for any of 'em.

However -- there's clearly but one indisputable answer as to what the greatest version of RISK is:

7fa44f60-cdf0-4026-9b11-0e30c169f8ac.jpeg

I'd like to watch Hannibal just try to march those elephants through my fortified Ocean of Storms, I'd show him what "Barca" really is.
RISK is the only game I play on my phone 😂

Reactions: J_Dee
A bunch of rag tag colonists defeat an empire and Washington isn’t an option at least???
GW was most definitely a bad mutherfvcker.

Military historians mostly agree that he was great, if Plan A worked out, but not great at thinking on the fly. Fortunately, he was pretty damn good at formulating Plan A (good scouting pre-game planner) And that his biggest asset was as a big picture guy (winning the war), and inspiring unshakeable devotion from his troops, who worshiped him (probably because he was right up there on the front lines.

Reactions: entropy13
I'm shocked that Napoleon isn't doing better in this poll. His record is peerless. Not to mention his contributions to transforming that country. Changes that had enormous positive effects on France.

I'm shocked that Napoleon isn't doing better in this poll. His record is peerless. Not to mention his contributions to transforming that country. Changes that had enormous positive effects on France.
And his developments are still helping modern society. We can thank him for canned food.

He offered a prize to develop a food source for his armies. It took awhile for someone to figure it out but some confectioner figured out how to can food in glass jars. First gen MREs.

That development alone offered a massive tactical advantage.

Feel like Norman Schwarzkopf should at least get a mention. Not greatest of all time or even close to it. But what the guy did against the 4th largest millitary in the world at the time was pretty remarkable. Dude won a war in 2 days.

I think it's funny people put Sherman in here. The guy was one of the worst tactical generals during the civil war on either side. And was a mentally ill drunk. His most famous campaign he went to war against women and children and old men. Truly a tactial genuis.
I was wondering why you are so triggered by the mention of Sherman in this thread, but then I saw your signature , and all the CSA soldiers in it, and that cleared it up right quick.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Way too many Americans mentioned so far. Let's be real, we have like one great war we can really point to (WWII) where we didn't do all the heavy lifting and the rest is meh. The Civil War was a bunch of dumbasses yee-hawing before running towards fortifications and getting mowed down like grass. Wash, rinse, repeat for five years until enough dum-dums were kilt (sorry ancestors).

Give me Hannibal in terms of just military tactics and leadership. His army was basically like a coalition of paid mercenaries and to lead those dudes through the Alps and then just clown Rome like he did? The dude was basically just hanging out in Italy with Rome too scared to challenge him for years and years until he ran out of political support.

Caesar had tactics (and just as importantly) logistics locked down. Scipio Africanus is just as if not arguably more impressive.

The answer is Alexander though. He basically conquered everything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT