ADVERTISEMENT

Playcalling duties

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Is there someone else on the staff who could call plays for the offense? Hamdan is just completely over his head, evidently. Shorts? Boulware? Vince? Wolford? Could Gran?

There is no thought evident in our current play caller. So many plays are forfeited due to being transparent to the defense or unsuitable for the down, distance and/or personnel on the field. Could any of the above take over? They could NOT be worse.

Gran certainly proved his mettle several times at UK - is a special assistant allowed to call plays? I have to believe even a complete novice at the task would be better.

Is there someone else on the staff who could call plays for the offense? Hamdan is just completely over his head, evidently. Shorts? Boulware? Vince? Wolford? Could Gran?

There is no thought evident in our current play caller. So many plays are forfeited due to being transparent to the defense or unsuitable for the down, distance and/or personnel on the field. Could any of the above take over? They could NOT be worse.

Gran certainly proved his mettle several times at UK - is a special assistant allowed to call plays? I have to believe even a complete novice at the task would be better.
Shoot, random selections from the fans would be better.

Announcer: seat C13 ... please text #UKANT with your play selection within the next 10 seconds. Seat A56, you have the next play!

Listening to Hamdan talk really makes me wonder what his deal is. He is definitely hearing the talk and said something to the effect that he couldn't go what he really wanted to do, but he didn't say why.

Either
A- Stoops is interfering to the point he is handcuffed
or
B - The personnel on the offense sucks so bad that he has to run super simple stuff. The line would certainly qualify for that statement. Vanderpuff's noodle arm and lack of progressions qualify as well.

Listening to Hamdan talk really makes me wonder what his deal is. He is definitely hearing the talk and said something to the effect that he couldn't go what he really wanted to do, but he didn't say why.

Either
or
B - The personnel on the offense sucks so bad that he has to run super simple stuff. The line would certainly qualify for that statement. Vanderpuff's noodle arm and lack of progressions qualify as well.
If he doesn't have the people with the talent as where he cam from then good heavens.

Reactions: gamecockcat

Either
or
If it's 'A', then Stoops should be fired. He's the head coach and a defensive coach from pedigree. Except on rare occasions (4th down plays, for instance), Stoops should never tell the OC what to call. That's why he hired him.

If it's 'B', then Hamdan's at fault. He has to design the offense to take advantage of the talents that he has. If Brock can't roll left and throw, NEVER call a play that may result in him doing so. If the left side of the OL is better at inside zone, don't call outside zone running plays but once in a blue moon to the left side (have to give the D something to think about at least once in a while). I'm guessing the full playbook has 200+ plays (some with multiple options) - for every opponent he HAS to pick the plays that his players have the best chance of executing vs what the opponent does on defense. If that's not what he 'wants' to call, too friggin' bad. It's his job to craft the game plan to fit our skills vs the defense and make sure our guys can execute. He can't install a shallow drag to combat a fierce pass rush in a week's time? There are no pass patterns where the TE chips and releases about 5 yards? Screen passes to a RB? Slants to WRs? I mean, WTF does he mean by he 'can't call what he really wants to'? I'd like to call Tom Brady to Randy Moss about 6 times a game, but, shoot, I can't call what I really want to.

Head scratcher. He needs to design the offensive game plan every week to fit the players and the opponent. If it's only 20 plays - so be it. At least we can execute those 20 plays well (presumably) rather than the 80 plays in the game plan only 10 of which we have a prayer of executing. Especially in the passing game, almost every play has a read or two for both the QB and the receivers, so, theoretically, the same play may be run a half dozen different ways and 3 different receivers may catch the ball. If there's a blitz, then that same play may completely change. Let's concentrate on a small subset of plays that we can really execute well and we know all the reads and the hot receivers, etc. If we can execute those, then add a handful at a time more. At some point, it's blocking and tackling. If we block better than they tackle, we move the ball. The opposite is also true as we saw the final 53 minutes of the Auburn game.

If you watch the game it looks like we only run about 15 different plays per game. The only thing that is consistent is the O Line sucks unless we run up the middle.

Reactions: gamecockcat
I'll tell you what annoys me about our playcalling, the fact that we put a ton of window dressing on QB/HB draws. It leads to dumb penalties because the guys just can't execute what is bein asked of them.

Couple that with ridiculous predictability (Wimsatt only runs one play but gets multiple attempts per drive) or wild calls (Wimsatt comes in for a drive and does nothing but bombs deep balls).

If the line can't block, we should be running more screens (especially to TE"s and specifically to Rodriguez, IMO). Yet we never do. Sweeps, draws and intermediate passing routes that don't matter because Brock just locks on Key and throws it to him regardless of whether he is open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT