ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino hire blasted by ESPN radio host

What I took from that article is that when it comes to knowing what they are talking about they are operating in the gray by not getting the dates right. Hell it was 2013 that they win it all. These ppl say 2014. I know it's a minor mistake but shit that's when I stop reading and taking it seriously.

This guy says Pitino embarrassed, virtually, every place he’s been to. Where else did he shame himself, or, anyone else, outside of UL? Didn’t work out in Boston, but, it wasn’t embarrassingly bad. He won at Boston U & took them to the NCAAT before the Knicks hired him as an assistant coach. No embarrassments at BU.

He then took over at Providence & led them to the FF in his 2nd season before being hired by the Knicks as HC. Before Pitino, Providence had ONE winning season (15-14) from 1978-1985. Then, he completely turned around the Knicks & had them in the playoffs by year 2. No embarrassments at Providence, OR, the NYKs.

Then we hire him away from NY & he orchestrated one of the greatest rebuilding jobs I’ve ever seen, in any sport, at any level. We were the most dominant program in the country for the last 5 years he was at UK. No problems, or, shame, here, aside from worrying when the NBA would steal him away.

Then came the shenanigans at UL, where he DID embarrass himself & the university. But, he still won there. He quickly turned them around after inheriting a mess from Denny Crum & they were a top 10 program for the majority of his run. He’s been great at Iona, with again, no embarrassments.

So, where are all the embarrassments that this writer is talking about?! No denying the UL debacle & not trying to justify anything. But, it’s total bs to say he’s embarrassed, virtually, every place he’s been. And, I seriously doubt you’ll hear any complaining from the St John’s fans/administration after he has them competing for Big East championships. And, he will. The man wins everywhere he goes. And, the “embarrassment” claims are utter nonsense. Having problems at 1/6 places does not mean “virtually everywhere”.

This guy says Pitino embarrassed, virtually, every place he’s been to. Where else did he shame himself, or, anyone else, outside of UL? Didn’t work out in Boston, but, it wasn’t embarrassingly bad. He won at Boston U & took them to the NCAAT before the Knicks hired him as an assistant coach. No embarrassments at BU.

He then took over at Providence & led them to the FF in his 2nd season before being hired by the Knicks as HC. Before Pitino, Providence had ONE winning season (15-14) from 1978-1985. Then, he completely turned around the Knicks & had them in the playoffs by year 2. No embarrassments at Providence, OR, the NYKs.

Then we hire him away from NY & he orchestrated one of the greatest rebuilding jobs I’ve ever seen, in any sport, at any level. We were the most dominant program in the country for the last 5 years he was at UK. No problems, or, shame, here, aside from worrying when the NBA would steal him away.

Then came the shenanigans at UL, where he DID embarrass himself & the university. But, he still won there. He quickly turned them around after inheriting a mess from Denny Crum & they were a top 10 program for the majority of his run. He’s been great at Iona, with again, no embarrassments.

So, where are all the embarrassments that this writer is talking about?! No denying the UL debacle & not trying to justify anything. But, it’s total bs to say he’s embarrassed, virtually, every place he’s been. And, I seriously doubt you’ll hear any complaining from the St John’s fans/administration after he has them competing for Big East championships. And, he will. The man wins everywhere he goes. And, the “embarrassment” claims are utter nonsense. Having problems at 1/6 places does not mean “virtually everywhere”.
All anyone can say, "you'd think a Catholic College would care about abortion, infidelity, prostitutes, and paying players". Maybe, St.John's is forgiving and hoping he doesn't embrass them. I sure wouldn't bet on that, but you can be assured they'll be heard from big time the next few year with Pitino in charge, whether positive or negative. He's always had the Northeastern media in his back pocket.

Reactions: rdgtr and NC Weasel
All anyone can say, "you'd think a Catholic College would care about abortion, infidelity, prostitutes, and paying players". Maybe, St.John's is forgiving and hoping he doesn't embrass them. I sure wouldn't bet on that, but you can be assured they'll be heard from big time the next few year with Pitino in charge, whether positive or negative. He's always had the Northeastern media in his back pocket.
Maybe he WILL embarrass them, somehow. But, my point is that he’s really only had one embarrassing situation & it’s disingenuous bs to say that he’s embarrassed virtually every place he’s been. The writer has an obvious axe to grind & is lying to try to justify his feelings. Personally, I think he’ll win there & the fans won’t have a problem with him, at all.

I was thinking the same thing whole time I read that but they mention the 2014 championship that was vacated lol when the actual year was 2013. If you can't get dates right to begin with then it's hard to take any of it serious. As much as everyone talk about him being a bust in NBA he did fine with Knicks and he won more games with Celtics when he came on board even if they were tanking the year before he got there so from that standpoint he left it better than he found it even if he left it in a mess. But only embarrassing thing was all the UL stuff. You're right they had axe to grind.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Two things can be true: (1) Pitino has been a great college basketball coach in regard to winning basketball games; and (2) Pitino was a sorry human being while AT KENTUCKY and while at UL. It's perfectly ok to believe both things to be true and still like Pitino as a coach.

I never understood the psychological need it seems like many have to canonize people in sports (usually someone they don't even know) and even get fighting mad in defense of that person just because they won games for a team you were a fan of. For example, I loved Pete Rose as a player, but by the time I was a teenager I knew he was a narcist (even if I didn't know the word - we just called it "a guy who'll lie and say anything to make himself look good").

• Love
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
Two things can be true: (1) Pitino has been a great college basketball coach in regard to winning basketball games; and (2) Pitino was a sorry human being while AT KENTUCKY and while at UL. It's perfectly ok to believe both things to be true and still like Pitino as a coach.

I never understood the psychological need it seems like many have to canonize people in sports (usually someone they don't even know) and even get fighting mad in defense of that person just because they won games for a team you were a fan of. For example, I loved Pete Rose as a player, but by the time I was a teenager I knew he was a narcist (even if I didn't know the word - we just called it "a guy who'll lie and say anything to make himself look good").
2) Pitino was a sorry human being while AT KENTUCKY

What? He never had any problems while at UK.

Reactions: YouKay

@jameslee32 , why are you laughing at this post? Care to share your views on why you think it's funny?

The same writer doesn’t know the difference between “one” and “won” and apparently thinks they’re interchangeable. Seriously, with the off base comments like those you called out, and improper use of the English language, you have to wonder how they ever got a job at ESPN.

Pitino is passed his prime. And has been long before he was doke at uofl...some of you can't accept this. He was mediocre at uofl until he had to start cheating to win, and he had to bc of what was happening 80 miles east.

He's one of the best to ever do it, but as always he only cares about himself, that was the whole reason he went to turdville to begin with. He thought we would all follow him.

There is no doubt he is one of the best coaches ever.

He did get in trouble at Syracuse as an assistant I believe.

At UK, I believe a certain blonde cheerleader would say his poor behavior off the floor had already started. But frankly, that stuff is between the man, his wife, and his God. If true, RP failed all three here. But he is hardly the first, or the last, to cross that line.

And of Boston, he just flat out failed.

Cracks me up how much this board now defends Pitino. He is the coach I grew up with at UK and I loved him as our HC...that said, some of you all would sell your sole to the devil to get him back.

Not to mention, Pitino's time here was full of a lot of success but also some gaffes and upsets too.

Would have been slaughtered by this board for:
1. Not guarding inbounds vs Duke
2. Losing to Michigan in FF
3. 2nd round loss to Marquette
4. Choke job shooting vs UNC
5. Not playing Anderson vs Arizona
6. Lying and then bolting for Boston

Pretty much every season but '96 he would have been drilled by this board.

I know time heals all wounds but guys, don't forget who this man is. Great coach, but far from perfect, just like Cal...he just wasn't here as long.

Cracks me up how much this board now defends Pitino. He is the coach I grew up with at UK and I loved him as our HC...that said, some of you all would sell your sole to the devil to get him back.

Not to mention, Pitino's time here was full of a lot of success but also some gaffes and upsets too.

I know time heals all wounds but guys, don't forget who this man is. Great coach, but far from perfect, just like Cal...he just wasn't here as long.
Did he ever choke in the tournament to Saint Peters? Reckon he could get over the hump against Kansas State?

This radio guy acts like he knows NOTHING of what is going on in college basketball around the country if he thinks that Pitino is the worse choice in the world. I wonder what he thinks of Coach K, Roy Williams, Bill Self, Miller, etc. Pitino got punished at UL. Those other coaches cheated massively and still aren't demonized for it.

Did he ever choke in the tournament to Saint Peters? Reckon he could get over the hump against Kansas State?

Again, this isn't an either or scenario. This isn't a defend Calipari post. I stated facts about Pitino's time here. If you think he wouldn't have been ripped on this board for the stuff I posted you are dead wrong.

To answer your questions, no he didn't lose to a 15 seed He also didn't miss the tourney. He did get whipped by a 6 seed Marquette in '94. He also made questionable decisions in tournament games and had teams struggle from field and FT line too.

Last edited:
2) Pitino was a sorry human being while AT KENTUCKY

What? He never had any problems while at UK.
What I was talking about was being able to separate winning games from having good character, right? About the mentality of hero-worship and feeling the need to attribute good character traits to people based on something as meaningless as being a good player/coach. Pitino was the same guy character wise while at UK as he was at UL. Now, while at UK did Pitino try (pathetic attempt, but an attempt nevertheless) to have sex on a restaurant table or anything similar to the stuff that came to light after he left UK? I don’t know, but it was the same person. And that isn’t even the biggest character issue I had with Pitino. He was also an arrogant and uninformed bigot while at UK.

Are you a Kentuckian? If not, do you think Kentuckians are beneath you simply because of where they are from? If you are a Kentuckian, do you appreciate you, your family and friends being stereotyped as ignorant country bumpkins. Pitino wanted the stage that Kentucky basketball provides in CBB (and Louisville provided to a lesser degree). But he never wanted to be here. And he certainly never wanted to be around UK fans – because he had no respect for us. He wanted adulation, but the adulation he wanted was from national media. He had mockery and disdain for the people here.

There are all kinds of stories out there about how poorly Pitino treated fans, including kids, when there were no media around (and he didn’t have too much less disdain when there were cameras around). That’s just not a guy I have any respect for, and I never did even while he was at UK (I was at UK during an overlapping period). But I enjoyed the basketball. It was a run and a style that was fun as all get out. But why isn’t it enough to say Pitino was/is a great basketball coach in regard to winning basketball games? Why do certain people have the need to insist, and get bent out of shape if you say you don’t agree, that Pitino is a person of great moral character – or even a decent person really? It’s strange. But it's also pretty common. We’ve all likely seen it (e.g., at the high school level or with people in areas other than sports). So again, my point is two things can be true at the same time: Pitino can be a great basketball coach and a sorry human being at the same time. And that is, and has always been, exactly what I thought he was. You, of course, are free to believe whatever makes you happy.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
What I was talking about was being able to separate winning games from having good character, right? About the mentality of hero-worship and feeling the need to attribute good character traits to people based on something as meaningless as being a good player/coach. Pitino was the same guy character wise while at UK as he was at UL. Now, while at UK did Pitino try (pathetic attempt, but an attempt nevertheless) to have sex on a restaurant table or anything similar to the stuff that came to light after he left UK? I don’t know, but it was the same person. And that isn’t even the biggest character issue I had with Pitino. He was also an arrogant and uninformed bigot while at UK.

Are you a Kentuckian? If not, do you think Kentuckians are beneath you simply because of where they are from? If you are a Kentuckian, do you appreciate you, your family and friends being stereotyped as ignorant country bumpkins. Pitino wanted the stage that Kentucky basketball provides in CBB (and Louisville provided to a lesser degree). But he never wanted to be here. And he certainly never wanted to be around UK fans – because he had no respect for us. He wanted adulation, but the adulation he wanted was from national media. He had mockery and disdain for the people here.

There are all kinds of stories out there about how poorly Pitino treated fans, including kids, when there were no media around (and he didn’t have too much less disdain when there were cameras around). That’s just not a guy I have any respect for, and I never did even while he was at UK (I was at UK during an overlapping period). But I enjoyed the basketball. It was a run and a style that was fun as all get out. But why isn’t it enough to say Pitino was/is a great basketball coach in regard to winning basketball games? Why do certain people have the need to insist, and get bent out of shape if you say you don’t agree, that Pitino is a person of great moral character – or even a decent person really? It’s strange. But it's also pretty common. We’ve all likely seen it (e.g., at the high school level or with people in areas other than sports). So again, my point is two things can be true at the same time: Pitino can be a great basketball coach and a sorry human being at the same time. And that is, and has always been, exactly what I thought he was. You, of course, are free to believe whatever makes you happy.

Fans worshipped Pitino to the point they were a-holes about it.

Why hell I don't want him to come back here to coach now. I don't even think it's realistic to wish for that. I still will say though he is good at his job. Better than the rest of just as good IMO. I know he not very concerned about morals but most of these coaches don't care about morals either. Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is looking and I don't believe many of these coaches truly care about morals or integrity other than just talk about it because it sounds nice.

I'd say Pitino would've heard some backlash about some of the things you mentioned. I don't think they'd killed him out though until 1994 in that Marquette loss. I still hate that loss.

The 92 game we wasn't supposed to be there yet and I think ppl would lose their shit over Laettner not getting ejected and then you'd have some who'd still give RP hell for not guarding Hill on the pass. Ignoring that we took them took them to OT and Mash fouling out... Pitino deserves a a little backlash for that one lol. 1993 he was still going forward and got to a FF out of that. Mash again Fouls out and D. Brown gets injured but again we go to OT and lose by 3 if I recall correctly. Now, in 1994,95 you are correct. They'd been rough on him but it wouldn't lasted that long just because where we was 3 yrs earlier. In 1997 you got a case for the Boston thing but that was gonna happen sooner or later.

I just don't think ppl would start piling on him too bad unless he would've started showing records with double digit losses and regularly getting bounced early from the tourney. He won all the SEC tournaments except one. He brought UK back. Made it fun and didn't stay long enough to get ppl pissed off at his performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT