ADVERTISEMENT

OVER VIEW OF CLASS SET TO EARLY ENROLL

Canned Heat

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006
QB BEAU ALLEN: ... Rated a top 500 player in the class by 247Sports and the No. 19 pro-style quarterback... Named the Paul Hornung Award winner given to the top high school player in Kentucky ... Candidate for Kentucky’s Mr. Football award ... Completed 248 of 366 passes for 3,682 yards and 38 touchdowns and rushed for a team-high 478 yards and 12 scores ... Finished his career with 11,439 passing yards and 127 touchdowns ... Coached by Nigel Smith … Picked Kentucky over Washington State, West Virginia, Duke and others.

OLB SAM ANAELE: – Four- star recruit by 247Sports Composite...Selected to the 2020 Under Armour All-America Game ... Has been timed at 4.9 in the 40-yard dash ... Had 38 total tackles, 19 tackles for loss and seven sacks as a senior at McDougle Technical Institute Preparatory … Coached by Norman Richards ... Born in Nigeria ... Began athletic career on the basketball court and has only been playing football three years ... Picked Kentucky over Miami, South Florida, Florida, Colorado and others ... Name is pronounced Sam “ah-NEL-lee.”

WR KALIL BRANHAM: Rated a four-star recruit by 247Sports ... Rated a top 500 player in the class by 247Sports and the No. 10 player in state of Ohio ... Four-year

letterman in four sports - football, basketball, baseball and track & field ... Coached by Brian Staats ... Earned Northland’s Offensive Player of the Year award in 2019-20 ... Graduated a semester early and plans to enroll at Kentucky in January … Played quarterback out of necessity as a junior ... Set to compete in the Offense-Defense All-American Bowl in Miami on Jan. 5, 2020 ... Brother, John, plays for Eastern Michigan, a team UK will face in 2020 ... A two-time City League track champion in the 400 meters ... Picked Kentucky over Michigan, Boston College, Cincinnati and others.

OL DEONDRE BUFORD: – Four-star recruit by 247Sports...Ranked the No. 24 offensive tackle in the 2020 class and No. 7 prospect in Michigan by 247Sports ... Coached by Tyrone Spencer ... Helped Detroit King win two Division 2 state titles in his four-year career … Led Detroit King to the Detroit Public School League championship title in 2019, finishing with an 11-3 overall record … Named to the Detroit News All-State First Team and earned Offensive Lineman of the Year in 2019 by Detroit PSL … Picked Kentucky over Missouri and Pittsburgh, Purdue and Arizona and held offers from Auburn, LSU, Penn State, Tennessee and Miami.

OL JEREMY FLAX: 247Sports lists him as the top JUCO offensive tackle and the No. 16 overall JUCO prospect … Played high school football at Dearborn Heights Robichaud for head coach Jason Malloy ... Played both sides of the ball and recorded 40 tackles, 10 TFL, two sacks and a forced fumble as a defensive lineman during his senior season ... Earned a spot on The Free Press’ All-West Prep Football Team ... Signed with UK over Auburn, Texas Tech, West Virginia and Maryland ... Will have three years of eligibility remaining and plans to enroll in January.

QB JOEY GATEWOOD: Transfer from Auburn University ... Totaled 176 rushing yards on 32 carries with three touchdowns, and completed 5 of 8 passes for 54

yards and two touchdowns in eight career games for the Tigers ... Redshirted the 2018 season at Auburn after appearing in one game ... Four-year letter winner at Bartram Trail High School for head coach Darrell Sutherland ... As a senior, was an Elite 11 finalist and participated in the Under Armour All-American Game ... Was a four-star recruit by 247Sports ... Led the Bears to the Florida state Class 7A finals in 2017 while passing for 1,468 yards and 12 touchdowns and rushing for another 1,100

yards and 16 scores ... Was a sprinter on the school’s track and field team ... Will have two years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2021.

ILB D'ERYCK JACKSON: Three-star prospect by all three major recruiting services ... Rated the No. 47 inside linebacker in the country by 247Sports ... All-Region 2AAAA selection every year as a starter ... Led the team in tackles three straight seasons ... Tallied 129 total tackles, 12.0 tackles for loss, nine sacks, four quarterback hurries and an interception as a senior, earning Region 2AAAA Defensive Player of the Year by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution ... Had 96 tackles, 14 TFL and four sacks as a junior ... West Laurens Defensive Player of the Year as a junior ... Two-time Georgia Athletic Coaches Association Junior All-Star Game participant ... Ranked 20th in the state of Georgia among all classifications in total tackles ... Helped lead the Raiders to the Region 2AAAA

RB JUTAHN MCCLAIN: Four-star prospect by 247Sports ... Rated the No. 8 all-purpose back by 247Sports ... In three seasons at Fairfield, rushed for 4,406 yards and 53 touchdowns while catching 48 passes for 680 yards and seven scores ... As a senior, rushed for 1,947 yards and 21 touchdowns ... Voted 2019 Offensive Player of the Year and First-Team Offense on the Division I All-Ohio team as voted on by the Ohio Prep Writers Association ... In 2018, he totaled 1,754 yards with 25 touchdowns in addition to catching 24 passes for 415 yards and five scores and returning a kick-off 92 yards for a touchdown ... Coached by Jason Krause ... Krause said, ‘Not only does he have that high-class level of speed that you've got to have to play in the Power Five, but he gets to that top speed in two or three steps. He's a guy that can go the distance any time he touches it.’ ... Chose Kentucky over Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Cincinnati, Louisville and others ... First name pronounced “ju-TAWN.”

DT OCTAVIOUS OXENDINE: Named to the Kentucky All-State first team ... Produced 33 total tackles and 12.5 sacks during his senior season … Important piece of North Hardin’s defense, who finished the season 13-1 ... Played for head coach Brent Thompson … Picked the Wildcats over Louisville, Tennessee, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Purdue and Texas.

DB ANDRU PHILLIPS: Three-star recruit who has been rated the No. 8 overall player in South Carolina by 247Sports ... Father, Carlos, played linebacker at Kentucky under Jerry Claiborne ... Mom, LaTonya, was a standout athlete at Danville High School ... Originally from Louisville, Kentucky ... As a senior, had 38 total tackles, eight pass breakups, two interceptions and a fumble recovery under head coach Harris Cabaniss ... Earned 5A first-team All-State by the South Carolina Football Coaches Association ... Selected to the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas ... Picked Kentucky over Virginia Tech, Duke, Georgia Tech, USC and others.

6COMMENTS
DB JOEL WILLIAMS: Four-star recruit by all of the major recruiting services … Ability to play both sides of the ball, as he spent time at wide receiver in high school … Led the Chargers to a 13-2 record and an appearance in the 3A playoffs as a senior … Had 10 TD catches, 35 tackles, 13 pass break-ups and three interceptions as a junior ... Coached by Landry Williams … Picked Kentucky over Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, and Georgia.

OL JOHN YOUNG: Four-star recruit by 247Sports… Coached by Hunter Cantwell ... Bill Greene, an analyst for 247Sports said of Young, ‘He’s more of a physical, beat’em up kind of guy than he is an athletic kind of guy. But you also like the fact, when you watch his film, he finishes blocks. He really plays to the whistle, maybe a little bit past the whistle. He’s nasty, super aggressive. I like the program he plays in. He’s used to winning and expects to win, and knows how to pay the price to win.’ ... Helped lead Christian Academy to a 7-5 record in 2019 and an appearance in the Class 3-A District Four final ... Named second team All-State by the Associated Press after the 2018 season ... Was named first-team All-State by MaxPreps in 2019 ... Picked Kentucky over Florida State, Louisville, Auburn, Georgia and others.

https://247sports.com/college/kentu...-Kentucky-football-early-enrollees-140865090/

Technical question here...how do "early graduate" K) kids resolve that graduation requirement of 4 years of English? It strikes me that can only be done by taking ENG IV in the summer after your JR year in HS (i.e., ENG I, II and III in your folder).

50 years ago I took HS summer classes after my SO and JR years. Technically, ENG IV was the only thing I needed my SR year to graduate on schedule.

I'm not sure English IV was offered as a summer option back then, at least for those who had not yet taken ENG IV. That is to say, it was a make up opportunity to those that failed it as a SR and not a get ahead opportunity for others.

Peace

50 years ago I took HS summer classes

A good question, WC, but things might have changed since you or I did high school. It’s been a few years.

I remember driving to HS in my Dad’s 72 Buick, and outrunning a T-Rex at Walnut Flat!

I don't know the answer to that, but my guess it may be related to kids being able to take courses in HS for college credit. I know several kids who graduated HS, but already had enough college credits to be a Sophomore before ever stepping foot on a college campus.

GO CATS

The English course is generally the only course still needed by your senior year. The high schools offer a summer and or fall class that doubles up the time for the class to enable many students (not just athletes) to graduate early. The non athletes also get jumpstarted on college either by enrolling early or loading up on the local high school college credit and AP courses.

I had a measly 6 credit hours coming into fall for college. Students these days will have close to 24-30 credits when they arrive on campuses.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT