ADVERTISEMENT

Out of 351 D1 basketball schools...

A

anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y

UK ranks 345 in average player experience. And, some of our fans are jumping off bridges because we don't win every game by 25 points. Relax.

Originally posted by N.I.N.E.:
UK ranks 345 in average player experience. And, some of our fans are jumping off bridges because we don't win every game by 25 points. Relax.
Totally agree nine, great post.

2 straight OT games and 2 totally different teams won the game for us.

Experience for the young kids that practice can't give them.

Check off talking point that the so called experts can't say going into the tourney. Who will step up in a close game? This team wasn't tested. No close games. How will they respond?

Obviously I don't know for sure, but I can almost guarantee you we're learning more from games like this (even though it is against lesser opponents) than the 25 point blow outs. Fans need to chill and understand Cal has took us to 3 Final Fours, and he will most likely get us there again this year. When Cal leaves I really think it will be because of the fans. Some of us over analyze every freaking play and player. It's actually annoying. I can see why opposing fan bases look at us and shake their heads.

Good post N.I.N.E!

I brought this up yesterday. This happened last year and the three previous years and will continue,as long as we have Cal. So fans need to get used to it,stop bitching or get new team until Cal.Leaves. Every effing year we are going to be young and gain our experience in play, we will have close games, maybe even lose some. As long as we are contending for championships,be happy

Originally posted by Blueaz:
I brought this up yesterday. This happened last year and the three previous years and will continue,as long as we have Cal. So fans need to get used to it,stop bitching or get new team until Cal.Leaves. Every effing year we are going to be young and gain our experience in play, we will have close games, maybe even lose some. As long as we are contending for championships,be happy
bkt9fb4imaawv8j.jpg

Don't care about that stat, our players are more skilled, they are taller and deeper than any other team in the country and several of our guys have national title game experience.
Also, this team has flat out dismantled much, much better teams than Ole Miss and A&M.
In my opinion we just need to coach this team on how to beat a zone, this has gone on too long now, most of the time we don't even try to penetrate the top part of the zone, we just feed Aaron for an open 3 that, most of the time, misses badly. Our zone offense is the problem and given our size and backcourt talent we shouldn't be struggling on offense like this.

Originally posted by kyjeff1:
Don't care about that stat, our players are more skilled, they are taller and deeper than any other team in the country and several of our guys have national title game experience.
Also, this team has flat out dismantled much, much better teams than Ole Miss and A&M.
In my opinion we just need to coach this team on how to beat a zone, this has gone on too long now, most of the time we don't even try to penetrate the top part of the zone, we just feed Aaron for an open 3 that, most of the time, misses badly. Our zone offense is the problem and given our size and backcourt talent we shouldn't be struggling on offense like this.
Uh, that is not a stat. It is a simple fact

you are in the group of people who just blurt out crap hoping in accuracy.

While you are correct that we need to improve our zone offense, i hardly believe it was as bad as you make it sound.

Blueaz, it's not a stat??? Uh, yes it is. Out of 351 D1 teams we rank 345th. I don't care how you spin it that is a stat.

Wildmoon, how can you say I'm blurting out crap then tell me what I said was true???
I feel like the team really underachieved the last 2 games but it wasn't a lack of effort, they looked lost. Solve the zone offense problem and you fix the root of the problem.
That is my opinion, you don't have to like it but don't call it crap just because you… sort of disagree.

What was,our three point percentage against AandM?
Wildmoon, how can you say I'm blurting out crap then tell me what I said was true???
I feel like the team really underachieved the last 2 games but it wasn't a lack of effort, they looked lost. Solve the zone offense problem and you fix the root of the problem.
That is my opinion, you don't have to like it but don't call it crap just because you… sort of disagree.

True, and it is something we should remember. Still, that's been the case for all of Cal's team's. When you embrace the OaD model it goes to reason your going to have a team without a lot of player experience. I do think though it's one of the things we lost when Alex went down for the season. He had by far the most minutes of any player because he played a lot more his freshmen year than Willie did.

Cal has shown he can win with a very young team so now's he's built expectations he can get it done despite having a team ranked 345th in player experience. Simple as that.

Newsflash, it's called CONFERENCE play. How many other top teams have struggled with "lesser talented" opponents once conference play has started? Duke squeaked out a win against Wake Forest. Louisville barely beat the same Wake Forest team and also had a hard time putting Clemson away at home. Conference teams are fighting for their NCAA tournament lives. A win over a team like Kentucky, Duke or Louisville is a major addition to their RPI and SOS. Couple that with playing against an inexperienced team, it's a recipe for tight games.

And, the only reason people like you are complaining about our zone offense is because our shots aren't falling. Case in point, you commented on how we have blown out better teams than Ole Miss and A&M. One of those teams was UCLA. We attacked their zone the exact same way only our shots were falling but for you, it creates a narrative to hop on your soap box. A win is a win. Especially a road conference away game. Learn how to evaluate the opponent before you turn into Siskel & Ebert.

This post was edited on 1/11 11:08 AM by N.I.N.E.

Blueaz, I don't care what our 3 point shooting percentage was, that's not what this is about. We can sit there and shoot threes all game long if you want but that's not going to win you titles. A&M kicked our butts on points in the paint and that's a problem. That stat needs to be reversed.
You would have a point if this team had 4 losses and struggled up to this point but prior to the Ole Miss game this team was cracking skulls, now they're struggling against teams that aren't as good as teams UK beat by 15+ already.

I don't think so. I suspect they are doing in large part what Cal is telling them, and wants them to do. So they both had an off day shooting it. It happens. I'm sure they both have a number of great games left in them this season. And when they don't we have 6-7 other guys who can get it done. I am in the crowd though that thinks if we need to set up a play to get someone an open look in the last 20 seconds of a close game Booker would not be a bad choice as well. That's good. The other team can really just focus on one guy in that situation.

Blueaz, I don't care what our 3 point shooting percentage was, that's not what this is about. We can sit there and shoot threes all game long if you want but that's not going to win you titles. A&M kicked our butts on points in the paint and that's a problem. That stat needs to be reversed.
You would have a point if this team had 4 losses and struggled up to this point but prior to the Ole Miss game this team was cracking skulls, now they're struggling against teams that aren't as good as teams UK beat by 15+ already.
Hmmmm, I always thought that most common way to beat a 2-3 zone was with the outside shot. Maybe your right. I guess it is easier to score down low. Better get on the phone and call most of the basketball coaches in the known world and let them know to break a 2-3 zone.

While I see what you're saying about skill, I agree with the OP in that being a young team has played a role in these last two games. Conference play is much different than the OOC schedule and its another scenario these young kids need to experience first hand. Losing Alex will hurt more now than before, IMHO. His leadership, experience, and physicality could neutralize some of the effects we've seen in our first two conference games.

This team will continue to learn and grow as the season progresses. They will learn they kind of energy they will need to sustain throughout these games to get wins. In terms of attacking the zone, this is a point that comes up every year as well and I don't disagree that currently we don't do a very good job of that. I'd like to see the guards be a little more patient before jacking up a three. That shot will be there any time during the possession, so why not go inside first?

Personally, I think these challenges are good and I like the way our freshmen are stepping up during clutch situations. Overcoming adversity during the conference schedule will pay dividends in the post season. I also think this team may lose a game or two before they totally put it all together, but I'm okay with that because I think they will still ultimately be a #1 seed.

Blueaz, do you really think it's smart to just fall in love with shooting threes? You're being sarcastic but you're also wrong. Live by the 3 and die by the 3. Why do you think duke* continues to lose early in the tournament to teams like Mercer? You can't just shoot 3's to beat a zone. Ask our 2010 team about that. You better get the ball to the free throw line at the very least, from there you have options, especially when you have two 7 footers on the baseline.
I thought you were smarter than that.

Blueaz, do you really think it's smart to just fall in love with shooting threes? You're being sarcastic but you're also wrong. Live by the 3 and die by the 3. Why do you think duke* continues to lose early in the tournament to teams like Mercer? You can't just shoot 3's to beat a zone. Ask our 2010 team about that. You better get the ball to the free throw line at the very least, from there you have options, especially when you have two 7 footers on the baseline.
Alex is not walking through that door, and our freshman Lyles, isn't ready to fill that role. As some announcers have said our best offense is a missed shot and put back.
Now we agree, our bigs do need to be smarter going for rebounds, move those feet. Again, more experience will hopefully bring this.

Originally posted by Blueaz:

Alex is not walking through that door, and our freshman Lyles, isn't ready to fill that role. As some announcers have said our best offense is a missed shot and put back.
Now we agree, our bigs do need to be smarter going for rebounds, move those feet. Again, more experience will hopefully bring this.
We've been saying that since West Virginia knocked us out of the tourny back in 2010.

There's no reason a team with our size, skill, and athleticism, can't beat a zone. Booker alone is a zone breaker. Yet we continue to watch the Harrison's jack up bad 3 point shots or drive 1 against 3 with the shot clock expiring.

Cal's teams have always been bad with zone offense. Maybe that stems from the fact that he refuses to play zone defense. If our players went up against the zone in practice everyday, maybe they wouldn't get the deer in the headlights look on their face every time an opposing team used a zone against us.

Our guys aren't experienced enough to receive the ball within the structure of a zone defense and shoot it??? Why is that? I didn't realize you had to be a greybeard to beat a zone. But Lyles is experienced enough to rebound in traffic and hit 18 footers at will.
When are we going to be done using the "our guys are you" excuse? Yeah, they are young but they're also more skilled and groomed through AAU than nearly everyone else in the country, that's why UK has been to 3 final fours in 4 years.
I thought this was common sense really, if a team is zoning you they are hoping you will just jack threes.

Our guys aren't experienced enough to receive the ball within the structure of a zone defense and shoot it??? Why is that? I didn't realize you had to be a greybeard to beat a zone. But Lyles is experienced enough to rebound in traffic and hit 18 footers at will.
When are we going to be done using the "our guys are you" excuse? Yeah, they are young but they're also more skilled and groomed through AAU than nearly everyone else in the country, that's why UK has been to 3 final fours in 4 years.
I thought this was common sense really, if a team is zoning you they are hoping you will just jack threes.
Seriously. Did you just watch Duke get beat by a lesser talented team at their home arena? You know nothing about basketball if you're unable to factor in the inexperience of our team. CONFERENCE PLAY!!!!

I feel like I'm talking to a wall.
Yeah, we have some guys that lack experience but when you're more talented than everyone else and your lead guards played in the national title game last year you should not struggle against the 2 teams we just struggled against. Our guys had no clue how to beat the zone. Also, aTm was without their best player. How do you explain that? Plus, this team just beat the #5 team in the country on their home court, they blew KU out by 32 and they beat every other team they faced handily but this team still has trouble beating a zone, that is not just from lack of experience, that is from a lack of knowledge. Get the ball to the free throw line and use your options. aTm owned the paint, that's a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT