ADVERTISEMENT

October hoops on TV TODAY: UT-MSU, KU-ILL

GG24

Gold Member
Mar 25, 2007
I know it's easy to overlook during football season, but anyone looking to take a break from football today, there are two exhibition games with legit teams for those with Big Ten Network access. Tennessee vs Michigan State starts at 330, followed by Kansas vs Illinois at 6pm. Just a friendly heads-up for anyone fiending for some hoops - if you can stand seeing that ugly puke-pumpkin orange, at least!

I do think UT will be good, but MSU is making them look a lot better than they probably really are at this point. MSU looks way overrated.
Tennessee has guys hitting 3 that won’t hit him during the season but they will be really good. Izzo is weird, when they have high expectations they aren’t very good and when they come in underrated and nobody expects a lot from them they make a final 4

You can't tell anything (as a fan) about a team from an exhibition game. Good coaches experiment with combinations, including kids that will never see anything but mop-up minutes soon. If a coach is coaching only to 'win'... he's not a very good coach. This games tells us nothing about MSU or UT.
That said, it is nice to be at the precipice of college basketball again!

You can't tell anything (as a fan) about a team from an exhibition game. Good coaches experiment with combinations, including kids that will never see anything but mop-up minutes soon. If a coach is coaching only to 'win'... he's not a very good coach. This games tells us nothing about MSU or UT.
That said, it is nice to be at the precipice of college basketball again!
Exactly

UT has looked pretty good today without Zakai Zeigler (knee) and Santiago Vescovi (personal).

I know it's easy to overlook during football season, but anyone looking to take a break from football today, there are two exhibition games with legit teams for those with Big Ten Network access. Tennessee vs Michigan State starts at 330, followed by Kansas vs Illinois at 6pm. Just a friendly heads-up for anyone fiending for some hoops - if you can stand seeing that ugly puke-pumpkin orange, at least!
Watching...both these teams would run UK. Got some gam while UK looks like little boys.

Watching the game knecht is gonna be a problem all year and is somebody I really wanted Kentucky to get
Knecht is the guy I was openly pinning for on this message board. I thought he had a chance to be 1st team All-SEC at the SF spot. UK was mentioned with him during his recruitment, but I don't know how sincerely or aggressively UK pursued him. Nevertheless, I thought and still think he will likely be a better college SF this season than any freshman recruit - regardless of recruiting rankings, projected draft position, or how good the freshman ends of being in the NBA in a few years after he matures and develops his skills to get more out of his "talent." I would have liked seeing Edwards & Theiro playing the PF spot beside him and backing him up at SF.

I fully expect KU to win this one, but they certainly don’t look like a #1 team. Hunter should be able to score a good amount against us, but we should be able to abuse him defensively.

Knecht is the guy I was openly pinning for on this message board. I thought he had a chance to be 1st team All-SEC at the SF spot. UK was mentioned with him during his recruitment, but I don't know how sincerely or aggressively UK pursued him. Nevertheless, I thought and still think he will likely be a better college SF this season than any freshman recruit - regardless of recruiting rankings, projected draft position, or how good the freshman ends of being in the NBA in a few years after he matures and develops his skills to get more out of his "talent." I would have liked seeing Edwards & Theiro playing the PF spot beside him and backing him up at SF.
Agree, Knecht seems like he can do it all...hit the 3, drive and draw fouls, rebound and get assists. Wanted uk to land him, but, ccc chose to ignore him. Much better forward than uk has.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I fully expect KU to win this one, but they certainly don’t look like a #1 team. Hunter should be able to score a good amount against us, but we should be able to abuse him defensively.
If we had a big to help against HD I would feel pretty good about the Kansas game, but without one I'm a little worried.

If we had a big to help against HD I would feel pretty good about the Kansas game, but without one I'm a little worried.
No doubt, but all of our bigs would likely struggle against him anyway. Going small allows us to spread them out and make them defend us all over the floor. It looks like Hunter and KU are struggling a lot with that. Our speed could cause them some issues. Their size is going to cause us some issues. Hopefully we exploit them worse than they exploit us.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Agree, Knecht seems like he can do it all...hit the 3, drive and draw fouls, rebound and get assists. Wanted uk to land him, but, ccc chose to ignore him. Much better forward than uk has.
Mitchell and him are comparable in terms of roles and expected production, I like Mitchell, wish Kentucky would have gone after rknecht and gone extreme small ball and just completely spread the floor out and become impossible to guard

Reactions: F. Gallagher
Mitchell and him are comparable in terms of roles and expected production, I like Mitchell, wish Kentucky would have gone after rknecht and gone extreme small ball and just completely spread the floor out and become impossible to guard
Problem with Knecht is his defense. Even Barnes was ragging on him about his D. He did look pretty good today, though. I bet at some point, his lack of D will end up being costly.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT