ADVERTISEMENT

"Noodle arm" description

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Certainly, several posters labeled Beau Allen as a 'noodle arm' and I've seen a few label Sheron the same way. While both may, in fact, have less than average arm strength, I have a different take on things.

1. Levis has an extraordinarily strong arm. If anyone thinks he's 'average' or even 'above average' in arm strength they are completely wrong. He has a cannon. As good as Tim Couch was, he did not possess the arm strength that Levis has.
2. There are NFL QBs in the HOF who did not at any time in their career possess a big arm: Montana, Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton, Peyton Manning, Len Dawson, Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler, to name a few. You do NOT have to have a cannon to be a good QB. There are many QBs who did have great throwing arms that weren't worth a crap, too.
3. If the offensive system we run requires arm strength like Levis' to be effective, we are running the wrong system and we will only once in a blue moon find the 'right' guy to run the offense if that's the case.
4. Mainly because it was never allowed to show itself on Saturday, I didn't see enough of Sheron's arm strength to make any sort of value judgment on its relative strength. By all accounts, Hogan has a big arm and he's, what, 4th string? Even if Sheron's arm is below average, we should be able to scheme around it. Manziel didn't have a big arm and he did fine in college. Bernie Kosar. Dusty Bonner set all kinds of records and he definitely didn't have a big arm. You don't have to be able to throw a ball through a brick wall to be a solid QB in college (or the NFL, for that matter). Of course, there is a minimum requirement but I find it hard to believe that UK would offer a scholarship to a QB if he didn't possess even some minimum level of arm strength. I mean, that is a huge part of the job requirement - to be able to throw the ball effectively.

Sheron may never be a starter for UK. Or Hogan, for that matter. But, if we believe that we can duplicate Levis' arm in the portal, I think we'll be badly disappointed. I thought on a handful of throws, Sheron showed more than adequate arm strength to get the job done - TD to Dingle, out pattern to Brown that was dropped, a couple of rollout throws that he put into a fairly tight window, etc. The problem Saturday night was more about Sheron's inexperience, poor technique at times trying to avoid the rush, extremely conservative playcalling, not having 8-10 short pass plays that he's run 1000 times so that they're automatic, etc. His arm strength was not the cause of the poor play of the offense Saturday, imo.

So, 'noodle arm', deserved or not, is irrelevant, imo. Can we devise a scheme to maximize every QB's strengths or not? That is the question.

Sheron looked fine to me. When he knew where he wanted to go he got it there. Just green.

Focusing the portal just shows where we are as as a program and offense. In previous years, those guys are surefire starters.

When Beau played I thought he threw a nice ball. He had great touch on his passes to our tight ends.

Reactions: 23jumpboy
I've seen at least a handful of posters complain about his lack of arm strength, hence the OP. Maybe not as widespread as the complaints about BA's arm but I've seen more than just one or two.

Not sure any of us saw enough of BA to know what his arm capability was. Less than Levis'? Well, of course. Less than adequate to run at least some of our scheme? I don't think anyone really knows other than the staff.

Certainly, several posters labeled Beau Allen as a 'noodle arm' and I've seen a few label Sheron the same way. While both may, in fact, have less than average arm strength, I have a different take on things.

1. Levis has an extraordinarily strong arm. If anyone thinks he's 'average' or even 'above average' in arm strength they are completely wrong. He has a cannon. As good as Tim Couch was, he did not possess the arm strength that Levis has.
2. There are NFL QBs in the HOF who did not at any time in their career possess a big arm: Montana, Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton, Peyton Manning, Len Dawson, Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler, to name a few. You do NOT have to have a cannon to be a good QB. There are many QBs who did have great throwing arms that weren't worth a crap, too.
3. If the offensive system we run requires arm strength like Levis' to be effective, we are running the wrong system and we will only once in a blue moon find the 'right' guy to run the offense if that's the case.
4. Mainly because it was never allowed to show itself on Saturday, I didn't see enough of Sheron's arm strength to make any sort of value judgment on its relative strength. By all accounts, Hogan has a big arm and he's, what, 4th string? Even if Sheron's arm is below average, we should be able to scheme around it. Manziel didn't have a big arm and he did fine in college. Bernie Kosar. Dusty Bonner set all kinds of records and he definitely didn't have a big arm. You don't have to be able to throw a ball through a brick wall to be a solid QB in college (or the NFL, for that matter). Of course, there is a minimum requirement but I find it hard to believe that UK would offer a scholarship to a QB if he didn't possess even some minimum level of arm strength. I mean, that is a huge part of the job requirement - to be able to throw the ball effectively.

Sheron may never be a starter for UK. Or Hogan, for that matter. But, if we believe that we can duplicate Levis' arm in the portal, I think we'll be badly disappointed. I thought on a handful of throws, Sheron showed more than adequate arm strength to get the job done - TD to Dingle, out pattern to Brown that was dropped, a couple of rollout throws that he put into a fairly tight window, etc. The problem Saturday night was more about Sheron's inexperience, poor technique at times trying to avoid the rush, extremely conservative playcalling, not having 8-10 short pass plays that he's run 1000 times so that they're automatic, etc. His arm strength was not the cause of the poor play of the offense Saturday, imo.

So, 'noodle arm', deserved or not, is irrelevant, imo. Can we devise a scheme to maximize every QB's strengths or not? That is the question.
Some people will say this kid we face Saturday has a “noodle arm “ . Guess what , he’ll be the best quarterback we’ve faced this season. That quarterback at Florida though , he has a cannon .

I counted 4 catchable balls that were dropped. Big plays that may have changed the game too, 1st downs, etc

The tough part about playing true freshman. Additionally, catching from a different QB can be tough as well. I thought the 2nd string WRs did better catching from Sheron, who they probably get more reps with.

Reactions: BurgLife
I'm admittedly no expert on this, but in addition to arm strength, I believe an SEC quarterback should have the build to withstand the hits he's going to take at that position. I know that the weight room presents a risk throwing off a QB's touch or mechanics, but if I were on a college coaching staff, I'd think hard about my QBs' nutrition, weight, strength, etc.

Reactions: vol_scott
I've always taken Noodle arm to mean one of two things. either their arm is damaged from an injury and they have no arm strength left to be adequate at their position. the other is the opposite. like their arm is a noodle capable of throwing 40+ passes game in and game out without it getting fatigued. A few MLB pitchers had noodle arms. Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, A lot of old school pitchers who could go out there and throw nine innings of 100+ pitches game in and game out and never get tired or never get injured. That to me was a description of a noodle arm.

Reactions: rupp876

Good take.

Reactions: gamecockcat
When Beau played I thought he threw a nice ball. He had great touch on his passes to our tight ends.
There are friends of mine who have seen Beau in practice and they said he regularly threw an excellent ball. He could zip it, when required, but was more of a placement guy. Fwiw …

There are friends of mine who have seen Beau in practice and they said he regularly threw an excellent ball. He could zip it, when required, but was more of a placement guy. Fwiw …
He was money on his passes to TEs. He kinda took some shots on his passes.Not sure if he could survive this year. I think Sharon threw a decent bad.

Kenny Stabler says “Hello”

Reactions: Bluesbrother
I've always taken Noodle arm to mean one of two things. either their arm is damaged from an injury and they have no arm strength left to be adequate at their position. the other is the opposite. like their arm is a noodle capable of throwing 40+ passes game in and game out without it getting fatigued. A few MLB pitchers had noodle arms. Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, A lot of old school pitchers who could go out there and throw nine innings of 100+ pitches game in and game out and never get tired or never get injured. That to me was a description of a noodle arm.
In football I’ve always seen it describing a weak arm. I’ve seen “rubber arm” in baseball to describe those who can pitch many innings, like Tim Wakefield

Reactions: yoshukai

Sheron's and Hogan's arm strength are above average. They are long, athletic, strapping guys. Neither of them runs or throws as well as Levis, but most QBs don't. Sheron is on the slow side for an SEC QB and has a slow release. Like many young QBs, he does not make quick enough decisions and does not do a very good job with presnap recognition. It is too soon to say whether Sheron or Hogan will ever be a starting QB. QBs have to be developed and have to learn under pressure. But I don't see how Stoops can assume anything. He has to bring in another QB, probably through the portal. That might not be easy this time.

Nice post and spot on ... IMO. Sheron, I believe, showed a pocket presence and demeanor of a cool-headed QB. I would take a QB with an average arm strength and accuracy all day long. Arm strength with accuracy is rare. Sheron needed protection across the line and didn't have it. A few times he should have left a bit more air under the ball to clear the outstretched arms of the pass defenders, but that comes with experience. I really can't say I saw anything negative about the young man, at all. He should be getting encouragement from all quarter's b/c he, IMO, deserves it.

• Love
Reactions: deep3 and BurgLife
Allen’s stats so far in Texas sure doesn’t look noodle arm esq 🍺
I doubt if MSU's QB has a very strong arm but he sure passes for a lot of yards. OfCourse that is his system and we did cover it pretty well this year.

Sheron's and Hogan's arm strength are above average. They are long, athletic, strapping guys. Neither of them runs or throws as well as Levis, but most QBs don't. Sheron is on the slow side for an SEC QB and has a slow release. Like many young QBs, he does not make quick enough decisions and does not do a very good job with presnap recognition. It is too soon to say whether Sheron or Hogan will ever be a starting QB. QBs have to be developed and have to learn under pressure. But I don't see how Stoops can assume anything. He has to bring in another QB, probably through the portal. That might not be easy this time.
There will probably be a lot of competition dollar wise for the really elite transfers. We might have to get lucky, we sure did the last time.

Great post ... agree 100%

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT