ADVERTISEMENT

No stupid questions

drew_ukfan

All-American
Aug 6, 2008
Why doesn’t classical music have lyrics? Did no one consider singing songs outside of opera till the 1900s?

Lyric poetry was sung in ancient Greece accompanied with a lyre.

images

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
Interesting question. Although when I listen to music, I am not listening to the words (the message), to my ears the words are just another beat, like an additional musical instrument. The beat I hear is each syllable.

Reactions: sligocat92
Interesting question. Although when I listen to music, I am not listening to the words (the message), to my ears the words are just another beat, like an additional musical instrument. The beat I hear is each syllable.
I take that approach when the wife talks

One of the most popular sing-along songs of all modern history was written in 1818, Silent Night. Maybe we should ask why it is rare for modern popular music to almost require lyrics. Jazz seems the exception.

How many top 40 songs have not had lyrics? Frankenstein by Edgar Winter (No. 1 in ‘73)? Fire on High (not top 40, but made popular by CBS Sports)? Tubular Bells? Kenny G songs may be the exception.

Choral music has been around for a long time and in my mind is classical music with singing.

Andrea Bocelli at the YUM Center the other night with the Louisville Orchestra was classical with singing and it was awesome.

Also, whrlen were microphones invented? Probably hard to be heard over an Orchestra without one.

Reactions: chroix
I’m just assuming it’s because they couldn’t record voice well - but I will say that’s actually a pretty good question. Like did people in the 1800s just walk around humming orchestra tunes? What a bunch of weirdos

• Haha
Reactions: chroix
Why do people still vacation in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge? It's expensive, it's crowded and if you aren't into go carts, hiking or overpriced dinner shows there isn't a lot to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT