• Yes

Votes: 49 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 63 56.3%

• Total voters

FanofUK

Blue Chip Prospect
Feb 7, 2006
I may regret saying it, but we need energy not safe. We need a killer, I would rather take a shot on a younger guy like Florida did,
give me Pitino for a few years or Pearl with the hunger to win his first.
If Scott Drew comes in and wins a Championship I will take my crow however you want to serve it but I just cannot see it happening.

Hiring him will keep the fanbase divided and not unite them and that is absolutely what we do not need atm.

Drew isn't my first choice but he is a damn good coach and one that would succeed here. The rebuild he did at Baylor is nothing short of remarkable. Don't forget he took over a team that was in big trouble because one teammate murdered another and the coach tried to cover it up. Secondly, he is a great recruiter. I believe he has the 3rd or 4th ranked class this year. His teams are constantly in the top 10 and he has won a title. At the very least, he will do what Cal has done in the NCAA tournament but he will also care about the regular season results and the SEC tournament so we will at least get to enjoy those more.

I just cannot see this vote being a close to being a yes, even then it will be split.

Last edited:
Who's the alternative? All the pipe dream coaches (and then some) are seemingly saying no. Who would you realistically prefer as things stand right now? Key word being realistic.

Reactions: TM2013
He isn't who I would call first. If 4-5 others say no, then he is a great hire at that point. There are 5 active coaches with an NCAA Title and he is one of them.

Reactions: KFuqua
I may regret saying it, but we need energy not safe. We need a killer, I would rather take a shot on a younger guy like Florida did,
give me Pitino for a few years or Pearl with the hunger to win his first.
If Scott Drew comes in and wins a Championship I will take my crow however you want to serve it but I just cannot see it happening.

Hiring him will keep the fanbase divided and not unite them and that is absolutely what we do not need atm.
Good post. I would also rather have Pitino if it comes down to a guy like Drew. I would take Golden over Drew also but for different reasons.

Rick would unite the fanbase and bring back thia us against the world mentality and Golden is young and hungry to prove himself.

I just see Scott Drew as the blandest of hires and he reminds me so much of Barnhart when I see him talk. I don't think he is the guy but I would be ok overall knowing we have someone who puts program first, unlike Cal.

Ps. I also wouldn't mind goung the Bruce Pearl route over Drew

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and dl51344
"Scott Drew-20 years at Baylor 64% winning percentage.
Cal 77% in 15 years at UK.
Last 3 years since Drew’s NC 71.8 winning percentage
Last 3 years since Cal’s 9-16 year 71.0 winning percentage
This is the big improvement at HC?"

• Love
Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
I think he would be a very good hire. Are there better people ahead of him ... of course. He is probably 5th on my list, but still a solid hire. It's just the 4 above him are top tier.

He's not my first choice and he's not a flashy hire, but he is a really good coach and we would be in a great spot with him.

He took over a program with no prestige or history that almost got the death penalty and won a title in less than 20 years and is a perennial contender. He did it all at Baylor, imagine what he could do with a Blue Blood like UK behind him

Every one has their favorites and who they want, but anyone thinking Drew is a bad hire doesn't know basketball

Ok genius. Who else are you going to get? Also why don’t you Google the history of Baylor basketball so you can learn about what a rebuild is?

I'd be overjoyed with Drew. What he did at Baylor was remarkable. Who wants to go to Baylor for basketball? They are constantly good now AND won a NC at a non basketball school in a non basketball state! Who says he would come? People on here think everyone is lined up and ready, but look at all of the NO's. I was pretty surprised to hear that from Oats. Some don't know what reality is.

Drew would not be a bad hire. Not your first choice mind you, but still. He has won a NC.

Reactions: KFuqua
It would be a better judge to look at the last 4 or 5 years. Drew had a massive rebuild that took multiple years that was going on when Cal got here and had his first 5 years success. At the very least, compare the results for the 15 years Cal has as here. Cal is being judged for his past 5 years. Let’s judge Drew on his.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Think about if someone took over Vanderbilt ( private school) and started getting top 10 to 15 recruiting classes, going to the NCAA every year and winning one title. That’s what Drew did at Baylor, or has done. Also, think if one Vanderbilt player had murdered another one and the program was at an all time low when that coach started . All that is what Drew has done at Baylor, so you can pretty much ignore the winning percentages and things of that nature, you have to look at the big picture.
And Baylor had had maybe one or two ncaa tourney appearances prior to Drew …ever.

The fan base has become addicted to their two minutes of hate.

big-brother-nineteen-eighty-four-2302c109-9d28-4cb7-95b1-e03f8d09b97-resize-750.jpeg

Scott Drew would not unify the fan base.
He will if he wins. As others have said, not my first choice (prefer we try for Hurley and Oats first), but I think he'll be a good hire if we don't get the others. Won a recent title at Baylor, recruits well, coaches well. May have well won another title if not for the COVID shutdown and had another team de-railed by injuries. I think he'll do well here.

Reactions: Farsight and KFuqua
I know this poll is a small sample size but it legit shows how it will keep the fanbase divided. At least get someone with 60-70 percent approval rating.

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
I know this poll is a small sample size but it legit shows how it will keep the fanbase divided. At least get someone with 60-70 percent approval rating.
If he has the success I think he will have, he will ultimately unite the fanbase. If he is the hire, let's give him our full support to see what he can do at UK.

Drew is my first choice, I am done with one and done. I am done with starting players because they are too fragile to come off the bench. I am done with treating fans like second class. Regardless of whether Drew comes here or stays in Baylor, he is a not good but great basketball coach.

Maybe Swaggy Cal is available. I'd seriously hire him back if he brought Wall and Cousins and Bledsoe out of retirement.

Ok genius. Who else are you going to get? Also why don’t you Google the history of Baylor basketball so you can learn about what a rebuild is?
I believe this ^^^^^^^^^^^ is something many are not taking into account. Also, what would he do with a school where he could get better recruits?

This is so stupid. You can't judge all coaches as equals. You judge a coach by what he does with what he has. That's why Cal ultimately failed.

Drew inherited arguably the worst power 5 program in history. A program that hadn't won a tournament game since 1948. A program where one player had just murdered another. That was on probation his first 7 years. Was banned from playing a non conference schedule one year.

He's turned that dumpster fire into one of the elite programs in the best conference in the country. Done so with a fraction of the resources UK has. With none of the pull UK has.

It's asinine to assume Drew can't get consistently better results with a lot more money and a lot more talent.

It's like saying "why didn't Hurley make deeper tournament runs at Rhode Island? He will do the same at UConn." Rhode Island isn't UConn and Baylor isn't Kentucky.

Reactions: warrior-cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT