ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting No matter what, don't overreact

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
As a follow up to yesterday's earlier take on Mark Stoops' opportunity to change Kentucky football -- the latest example being this high-profile Florida game that everyone's buzzing out -- I also gave my take from the devil's advocate position. Yes, this game matters. If you win it and take the win the right way, it matters a lot. But resist the temptation to make this one game out to be more than it is -- win or lose. College football leads us to overreact, and for a fan base and especially a young team, overreaction is almost never a good thing.

I'm thinking back to writing this and I'm kind of kicking myself for not mentioning Chris Westry as a perfect example. Just like the LSU 49-0 loss seemed awful and the LSU 43-37 win seemed glorious for Kentucky fans, actually it was the former that started the best of times and the latter that signaled the start of the slow retreat. And just as Mudiay picking SMU (okay guys, it's Kentucky. I'm going to use basketball analogies) seemed awful, it really turned out to be great. Westry's a perfect example. Dinson's decommitment seemed terrible at the time. But if it hadn't happened, they might not get Westry. Furthermore, another example -- what if Kobe Smith, Ja'Quize Cross and/or Kordell Looney turn out to be program-changers? Then losing Davon Hamilton or Javon Provitt (temporarily?) takes on a different significance.

I guess what I'm saying here is we should expect to be surprised and acknowledge that no matter how real and visceral reactions to wins and losses are, they do not give us perspective. That's not meant to suck excitement out of game week, but it's meant as a reminder that the grind doesn't stop and today only determines today, not tomorrow.

No matter what, don't overreact

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News