ADVERTISEMENT

New strikeout cheer

CockyCat3

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2021
Some parents of players and fans got together this weekend and said we were tired of going to other SEC schools and them having their "thing" and we dont have very many "things" (i.e. A&M and their ball 5, ball 5, ball 6, ball 6 chant, etc) Soooo... We started something this weekend that turned out to be pretty cool. I'm not going to make it many home games, so y'all are gonna have to keep it up.

When our pitchers get to 2 strikes: when then pitcher steps on the rubber, we all started to go "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" until strike 3 happened and we all went "K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" If it's a ball or foul or whatever, we just stopped the Uuuuuuu and started back up when the pitcher got back on the rubber.

It kept the fans engaged and you could tell the players liked it. Hopefully it does something to distract the hitter too!

Let's keep it going and make it even louder at KPP!

Who was at the game today? What did you think of the strikeout cheer? They've even made a graphic for the scoreboard now too! I heard it on the broadcast a few times today and it sounded good. We've gotta get the whole park doing it though!

Good to know. We didn't notice it but were out on the berm area so the kids could play in the grass. We did wonder what was up with the single U on the scoreboard though. Good to have context now!

Yep... single U on the scoreboard and then when the strikeout pitch comes, the K comes in! It will be better if everyone around the park joins in!

Reactions: H-D cat
I like the idea, and I am really curious to see if it'll take off and become a regular thing. One concern on whether or not it takes off as being our new thing is just how often it might be used. We compared it to the A&M 5 ball, 6 ball, etc. thing and that might only happen a time or two a game, if even. It's pretty rare a pitcher throws 4+ straight balls, so when it does happen everyone is really excited to do the chant and the whole stadium pitches in. However, holding a prolonged UUUUUU every time there is 2 strikes on a hitter would happen pretty frequently, and fans might have to hold that UUUUU for numerous pitches in a single at bat with balls and foul offs. That might be tiresome to some fans and make them less apt to join in.

Yep you are right, but if enough fans join in you aren't really holding the Uuuu for that long, because you can start it, take a breath and keep going and it will still be constant noise. It's something we talked about when we came up with it, but I mentioned that at football games, people hold a yell consistently on 3rd downs to make noise and try to make it tough on the other team to hear. Same premise. We did it on Saturday and I feel like Bosma had 2 strikes on just about everyone. It was a lot of fun really and after a few times lots of people were joining in. It was loud and I've got to imagine it was decently disruptive for the hitter and pumped up the pitcher. And that was just with the few people who were at Elon. With the whole park at KPP doing it, it will be awesome.

A&M has a lot of "things" they do other than just the ball five chant, so it's not as big if a deal if it only happens once a game or so, they have other things they do during the game. Do you know how many times during the game the train goes by and they count every single car on the train?! A ton of times. But, I will say their student section is the one who takes ownership of a lot of it and their student section is full without anywhere to sit about an hour and a half before game time for every game there I've ever been to. They get there so early they are heckling the other teams players during infield practice!

Yep you are right, but if enough fans join in you aren't really holding the Uuuu for that long, because you can start it, take a breath and keep going and it will still be constant noise. It's something we talked about when we came up with it, but I mentioned that at football games, people hold a yell consistently on 3rd downs to make noise and try to make it tough on the other team to hear. Same premise. We did it on Saturday and I feel like Bosma had 2 strikes on just about everyone. It was a lot of fun really and after a few times lots of people were joining in. It was loud and I've got to imagine it was decently disruptive for the hitter and pumped up the pitcher. And that was just with the few people who were at Elon. With the whole park at KPP doing it, it will be awesome.

A&M has a lot of "things" they do other than just the ball five chant, so it's not as big if a deal if it only happens once a game or so, they have other things they do during the game. Do you know how many times during the game the train goes by and they count every single car on the train?! A ton of times. But, I will say their student section is the one who takes ownership of a lot of it and their student section is full without anywhere to sit about an hour and a half before game time for every game there I've ever been to. They get there so early they are heckling the other teams players during infield practice!

Don't get me wrong, I like it and think it is a unique and cool idea that really only we could do given that no one else has the K to work with as we do. So, I would love to see it work and be something done all the time. Just kind of thinking out loud about it and whether it'll stick. Hope it does, it's a great idea.

Yep... we are definitely fonda have to build up stamina! The first few times I was like, "Whew, I'm a little light headed after all that!" Haha! After we did it a little while we realized the key is starting at slightly different times so we could take a breath and keep going :)

• Haha
Reactions: Comebakatz3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT