ADVERTISEMENT

New MLB proposal?

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
I've read in a couple different places the past week about MLB wanting to REQUIRE teams to keep their SP in the game 6 innings, unless they have already gone over 100 pitches or given up 4 ER (or I assume get injured). And I do think that could reduce injuries. Why? Because starting pitchers, knowing they aren't going to be in there for long are going 100% like RPs but throwing twice as many pitches as an RP. Whereas when guys would throw complete games, maybe they were only going at 90-95% wanting to finish what they started. I also think another reason is all of the new pitches, cutters, etc... being thrown putting more pressure on the elbow.

However, rather than creating a requirement of teams to keep their SP in for 6 innings, what do you think of this solution?
- Both leagues now have the DH. The DH is a surrogate at the plate for the pitcher, a stunt double. But he is often one of the better (say top 5-6) hitters on the team. Why not instead make that when you substitute out your SP, you are also substituting out his lineup surrogate (the DH). So, it would be more of an incentive to keep your SP in longer, than a requirement to do so.
- I would limit it to when you replace your SP, because if you do it after every pitching change, you might run out of players to DH (without having pitchers start DH'ing).

The proposal is long overdue, and the mythical max of 100 pitches is still a joke, and way overplayed by the media and announcers. The golden era of great arms laughs at this so called magic #.

Anyway, the so called "bullpen" games need to go away immediately. Teams that use this are essentially unprepared and overmanaged....see David Bell, who is a complete joke and the worst mgr I have ever witnessed. If it is going to be 6 IP/100 pitches as a couple of parameters, then I believe 3 ER should be the limit. 5 IP should actually be the min, not 6, as that is what is required for the SP to get the win.

You also need to increase the pitch clock to at least 20 seconds. It is taking a toll this late in the season w/ pitchers losing control and more walks during a game.

Oh (cole854), don't get me started on the 100 max pitch theory. I was throwing 100+ pitches every start by age 12, 40+ years ago. Well I know I was at age 15, when I tracked all my stats and averaged 130 pitches in 7 inning games. And 3 years earlier had less control, so was probably 100+ in 6 inning games. And not just talking about tossing them in there, at 12 was throwing mid 60's, and at 15 low 80's. There won't ever be another Nolan Ryan, but they have taken it to the other extreme.

Reactions: cole854
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT