ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA should permanently grant players a 5th year of playing eligibility.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Presently, coaches cannot make their players practice more than 20 hours per week. But when one factors in travel time and actual game time, it's easy to see that most players are investing somewhere between 40 to 60 hours a week in their respective sport.

The NCAA should allow athletes to receive an additional year of competition. Presently, they have the additional year, but only because of Covid. It would benefit the sport to make this an indefinite rule where players have five years of competition, and an optional 6th year for a redshirt.

1. With a 5 year plan (with a 6th for optional redshirt), it would increase the quality of play by allowing non-professional level athletes to compete longer in college, and perhaps even create less roster turnover. For example if this rule applied in 1998, perhaps guys like Edwards, Mills, and Sheppard return for a 5th season. If it applied in 1994, maybe guys like Ford return, especially if there was an NIL in place.

2. With the NIL and this potential indefinite 5th year of competition, more players could remain in college and start (or finish) their master's degree while also earning compensation from NIL.

3. Players would have a longer period of time to finish their course work by taking less classes per semester (if needed). This would undoubtedly benefit some players who have learning disabilities or other impairments.

All in all, if the Covid year warranted an extra year of competition, why can't the NCAA just make an accommodation for the realities of the player's competitive work/academic week? Allow the extra year for those players who are serious about their education. It would benefit the programs, the fans, and the players themselves. Academically, it would also benefit the universities because more players would be able to actually graduate.

It's a win-win for everyone involved.

Presently, coaches cannot make their players practice more than 20 hours per week. But when one factors in travel time and actual game time, it's easy to see that most players are investing somewhere between 40 to 60 hours a week in their respective sport.

The NCAA should allow athletes to receive an additional year of competition. Presently, they have the additional year, but only because of Covid. It would benefit the sport to make this an indefinite rule where players have five years of competition, and an optional 6th year for a redshirt.

1. With a 5 year plan (with a 6th for optional redshirt), it would increase the quality of play by allowing non-professional level athletes to compete longer in college, and perhaps even create less roster turnover. For example if this rule applied in 1998, perhaps guys like Edwards, Mills, and Sheppard return for a 5th season. If it applied in 1994, maybe guys like Ford return, especially if there was an NIL in place.

2. With the NIL and this potential indefinite 5th year of competition, more players could remain in college and start (or finish) their master's degree while also earning compensation from NIL.

3. Players would have a longer period of time to finish their course work by taking less classes per semester (if needed). This would undoubtedly benefit some players who have learning disabilities or other impairments.

All in all, if the Covid year warranted an extra year of competition, why can't the NCAA just make an accommodation for the realities of the player's competitive work/academic week? Allow the extra year for those players who are serious about their education. It would benefit the programs, the fans, and the players themselves. Academically, it would also benefit the universities because more players would be able to actually graduate.

It's a win-win for everyone involved.
No. I disagree

Reactions: straykat
Would only benefit the mid major or create more transfers.
Im not in favor of using low to mid major programs as juco's for the power five.
Only benefits the smaller schools IF they retain their players.

Reactions: BlueThunderstruck
I’ve been saying the same thing. I’m all for it! It has not hurt the game at all the year, and I’d argue it’s done quite the opposite.

Reactions: AGEE11
I’m all for it but it would hurt UK. We have very few players that stay 4 years, much less 5. It would benefit teams that rely on 4 year type players. It might help us with a few transfers, but very few recruits.

I’m all for it but it would hurt UK. We have very few players that stay 4 years, much less 5. It would benefit teams that rely on 4 year type players. It might help us with a few transfers, but very few recruits.
But it will eventually help us when Cal retires or leaves and we become a mid major like Indiana.
I’ve learned this from the people on this board who are true fans and don’t have miserable lives. 😂

I do not see how that would benefit UK, regardless of who the coach is. Our best players are never going to stay 4 years, much less 5 years. The guys we get for 5 years are not going to help us win a national title most likely...although perhaps with NIL it would help flesh out the bench with more experience.

I just see this benefitting teams like UNC, KU & Nova more than UK.

Reactions: BlueThunderstruck
I do not see how that would benefit UK, regardless of who the coach is. Our best players are never going to stay 4 years, much less 5 years. The guys we get for 5 years are not going to help us win a national title most likely...although perhaps with NIL it would help flesh out the bench with more experience.

I just see this benefitting teams like UNC, KU & Nova more than UK.
What if the next coach is more like the coaches of the programs you mentioned? What about guys like Grady and Mintz? I hope they play a big part in helping us win a title.

Last edited:
6 to play 5. Easy-peasy. One free transfer. After that, have to sit one year or transfer down to a lower level.

And oh, coaches can adapt.

I like it.

I also think UK would benefit big time.

With NIL, we will not see fringe draft picks (Teague, Harrisons) or players who want/need money and go overseas (Liggins) leave early.

Also many of the 5th/6th year guys will develop and want to transfer to a contender and we have been doing really well in the transfer market.

Also is good for the athletes for all the reasons the OP stated. And since they are who really bring in the billions for the NCAA, why not help them and the game

Reactions: ck-2
Giving players five years of playing eligibility is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. It’s the dumbest thing they’ve done even during Covid!

I like it. Sure, the guys who go to the league will still come and go for 1 or 2 years. But guys like Derek Willis or Ramon Harris or even a Perry Stevenson would benefit greatly with a head start on a master's and an extra year of NIL $. We still get the best pre-nba players and those who take an extra year to develop (WCS, PJWash, the list goes on) will still be with us. But as a fan, who wouldn't want a 5th year Jared Prickett or Andre Roddick as an option off the bench?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT