ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Salaries and this FVF contract

HagginHall1999

All-American
Oct 19, 2018
Fred Van Fleet a modern day, what Joe Dumars (generous)....just signed a 3yr $130M contract...lol. $43M a year....hahaha

Damn, these salaries are f'ing insane. Dumars at 28 yo made a shade over $1M...

FWIW

Dumars @ 28...

23.5ppg, 2reb, 4ast, 47%, 38%

FVF @ 28....same splits
19, 4, 7, 39%, 34%

A nearly 30 yo guard who is small and a 1 time all star gets this money. It is just insanity.

Fred Van Vleet? $43 million a year? What???

Man I remember when ARod signed that $25 million dollar a year contract and it was the most insane thing I’d seen.

Yeah I typically wouldn't post about this but it is so ridiculous I just had to. It is jaw dropping.

And we think Cal is overpaid! He makes nearly 5x Cal for 19ppg.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Dude was undrafted, barely scrapes 6 feet tall, can't jump, aint that quick, poor defender, 30 years old ...yet has an annual salary of $43 million per year. Crazy.

But, hey, the NBA is drowning in money nowadays (thanks to its overseas popularity). I guess they gotta spend it on something.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
There's a minimum salary cap, you Houston haters!

I don't love it. FVV is not worth that money. But we can't have a team of only 21 year Olds on nothing contracts. I also don't know what this means for Amen Thompson. We just gonna treat him like an MLB prospect?

Plus we can dump him once these other players contracts kick in. I'm fine with it I guess.

LaMelo Ball is going to sign a rookie extension contract that will pay him an average of 52 million dollars a year... at the age of 21.

I Tell you this.....not $1 of that money the NBA makes comes from me. I'm not responsible for this bullshit. I dont feed the beast.

Advertising is a powerful thing or NBA would be out of business just on ticket sales and concessions.

There is one thing im certain of: there is a sports financial crash coming some day. This im certain of. The curret setup has a tipping point.

They (NBA) have a massive revenue stream.

It's ecomonics... they have enough money to pay those guys these salaries.

The owners are getting richer as well.

Capitalism at work.

Personally, I think they should pay retired teachers more... but I can't get the media companies that pay the broadcast rights interested!

Fred Van Fleet a modern day, what Joe Dumars (generous)....just signed a 3yr $130M contract...lol. $43M a year....hahaha

FWIW

Dumars @ 28...

FVF @ 28....same splits
19, 4, 7, 39%, 34%

A nearly 30 yo guard who is small and a 1 time all star gets this money. It is just insanity.
Plus Dumars played in an age when you could hand check and literally guide someone's body to where you wanted them to be on the court. If he played in the modern age, he would have averaed 26 to 28 ppg at the age of 28.

I Tell you this.....not $1 of that money the NBA makes comes from me. I'm not responsible for this bullshit. I dont feed the beast.

Advertising is a powerful thing or NBA would be out of business just on ticket sales and concessions.

There is one thing im certain of: there is a sports financial crash coming some day. This im certain of. The curret setup has a tipping point.
Would it make you happy if the NBA went out of business? Your life would be better?

They (NBA) have a massive revenue stream.

It's ecomonics... they have enough money to pay those guys these salaries.

The owners are getting richer as well.

Capitalism at work.

Personally, I think they should pay retired teachers more... but I can't get the media companies that pay the broadcast rights interested!

Sure is. It is just insane to me.

The guy is a career 40% shooter and just got $130M.

Sure is. It is just insane to me.

The guy is a career 40% shooter and just got $130M.
It is insane... but the market has spoken.

EVERYBODY gonna get insane money now.

Old Man Speaking here: I can remember when a utility infielder for the Yankees signed for $100K per year in the early 1970's. I was outraged then.

Fred Van Vleet? $43 million a year? What???

Man I remember when ARod signed that $25 million dollar a year contract and it was the most insane thing I’d seen.
I think and it’s gonna sound nuts but where’s FVV? In Houston? I think Instead of paying these modern day run of the mill nba player so much a percentage there need to be some reparations to the guys who built these franchises. Royalties in a sense. And how the hell did fvv make it in the nba but ulis couldn’t? That’s a head scratcher

Salary "cap" is $136M and tax level $165M this coming year. And teams have to spend 90% of cap. You're gonna see some eye popping contracts.

Reactions: K_TIME
That salary is nice and all, don't get me wrong. But look at Jamal Murray's (this was from a Tweet from @Maxisnicee):

$31.65M: Salary
-
$11.71M: Federal Tax
$695k: Colorado Tax
$950k: Agent Fee
$943k: Jock Tax
$3.17M: NBA Escrow
$742k: FICA/Medicare
=
$13.43M: Net Income

There's a minimum salary cap, you Houston haters!

I don't love it. FVV is not worth that money. But we can't have a team of only 21 year Olds on nothing contracts. I also don't know what this means for Amen Thompson. We just gonna treat him like an MLB prospect?

Plus we can dump him once these other players contracts kick in. I'm fine with it I guess.
The smart thing to do would be to take on a bunch of bad contracts for picks.

Then look at Jordan’s contract compared to some of these ridiculous contracts. He’s considered the best player ever to play the game.

The best thing about Jordan though is he makes 200 million a year off of Nike today so I guess it equals out….

Last edited:
If Dumars played today he would get a max contact.

But he doesn’t.

If FVF played in Dumars era he would ride the bench.

But he doesn’t.

• Haha
Reactions: Stan the caddy
That salary is nice and all, don't get me wrong. But look at Jamal Murray's (this was from a Tweet from @Maxisnicee):

-
=
I bet it sucks to only bring home 13 million for playing a kids game.

FWIW

Dumars @ 28...

FVF @ 28....same splits
19, 4, 7, 39%, 34%

I legit had no idea the guy from Wichita state even played in the NBA, good lord

-
=
THat is eye opening if accurate.

But to be fair...sounds like 3.17 M of the NBA escrow is basically a 401K that would go to the player for retirement? But the point is fair, that is insane that we tax high earners this way.

Reactions: kyrx and Ron Mehico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT