ADVERTISEMENT

NBA rookie tears achilles in first summer league game

Apr 13, 2024
DaRon Holmes, a first-round draft pick and former teammate of Koby Brea at Dayton, tore his achilles in his first summer league game for the Denver Nuggets. He could have commanded about $2m in NIL if he had returned to play college ball, but he's guaranteed $6.3m if he never plays the same again and two years of contracted NBA service time with his rookie deal (3 years are needed for pension and lifelong medical coverage). Even if that NIL sets you up nicely for the rest of your life, nothing replaces that extra NBA service year toward your next contract, pension, medical, etc.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40551555/nuggets-daron-holmes-tears-achilles-summer-debut

DaRon Holmes, a first-round draft pick and former teammate of Koby Brea at Dayton, tore his achilles in his first summer league game for the Denver Nuggets. He could have commanded about $2m in NIL if he had returned to play college ball, but he's guaranteed $6.3m if he never plays the same again and two years of contracted NBA service time with his rookie deal (3 years are needed for pension and lifelong medical coverage). Even if that NIL sets you up nicely for the rest of your life, nothing replaces that extra NBA service year toward your next contract, pension, medical, etc.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40551555/nuggets-daron-holmes-tears-achilles-summer-debut
I don’t care if he is set up for life or not.

• Love
Reactions: NociHTTP
It's awful.. but it's also extremely insane and unprobable timing. First of all, probably 99.5% of NBA players never tear their Achilles, which is maybe THE worst injury and NBA player can have.. but the chances to do it as a rookie, in the summer league no less?!

I know hindsight is 20/20 and it sure is good that he chose the NBA over college/NIL.. but this type of injury and the timing is such an outlier.

Also, brutal for Denver, who kind of had a steal with getting DaRon.. and were really in need of finding that 3rd piece to get back to competing. I'll make a very hot take: this injury probably ends this era of Denver with Jokic. They will be too good to ever draft in the top10, but won't be good enough to really compete with just Jokic and Murray. They will need to retool in the FA market.

Last edited:
But why are pushing the NBA agenda on a college basketball board? There's nothing wrong with it, but I am curious why you and others keep bringing it here.

Because it very much ties in with the college game. Some of these guys played against us.. some even, and you might want to find a seat for what I'm going to say next.. some even played for UK.

We're not talking about professional bass fishing. Talking about the NBA isn't some outlandish topic on a college forum. There's also the aspect that you can completely ignore it.

I don't understand why so many people get into such a tiff when this places takes just a LITTLE bit of time to talk about the NBA.

Because it very much ties in with the college game. Some of these guys played against us.. some even, and you might want to find a seat for what I'm going to say next.. some even played for UK.

We're not talking about professional bass fishing. Talking about the NBA isn't some outlandish topic on a college forum. There's also the aspect that you can completely ignore it.

I don't understand why so many people get into such a tiff when this places takes just a LITTLE bit of time to talk about the NBA.
Was the obsession with the NBA as big on here before Cal came along? Not only do most of us not care about the NBA or even what the players are up to after they leave UK, but Cal's NBA first approach to everything was highly damaging to the success and reputation of the program.

Reactions: bigbluedon
But why are pushing the NBA agenda on a college basketball board? There's nothing wrong with it, but I am curious why you and others keep bringing it here.
It's one of the strongest counter considerations to those who think that Reed (and others) should have stayed for NIL money only. You can't bank the lifelong NBA benefits if you don't meet the 3-year NBA service threshold by playing extra years in college, even if they are paid through NIL.

Was the obsession with the NBA as big on here before Cal came along? Not only do most of us not care about the NBA or even what the players are up to after they leave UK, but Cal's NBA first approach to everything was highly damaging to the success and reputation of the program.

Well for starters the forums back then were much different. Yes this place existed during BCG and Tubby era (I don't know how much more before that as I wasn't around pre-2003).. but it was much smaller capacity and on much less functional forums back then.

But I wouldn't make this a "Cal" thing. We simply have more NBA players from UK NOW, than we did back in 2009. What is the net gain since then, like 40 NBA players? So yes, it does make more UK fans tune in to see what these guys are doing, maybe they became fans of some NBA teams because of it, etc.

And I would really caution this whole attitude of "we don't care about our guys once they go to the NBA!".. that's a horrible look for our program, and any top150 recruits dream is to play in the NBA.. NOT to play for UK. So if would be in our best interest to follow the NBA and support these guys.. or at the very least if you really can't stomach the NBA, just keep it to yourself.

Reactions: NociHTTP

Several here love the NBA. Talk about arrogance. Oh, and seek CDS therapy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JASUN74

Then why do people like you expect the players to care about UK when here? And the players wr have this year are here for the NIL money mostly and the coach. College sports as you fantasize about are dead.

Talk about hypocrisy. You dont care about UK players so what are they to you? These are human beings. We can want them to earn their money here and win but still talk about them post UK

And people most certainly did talk about and care about Hayes, Rondo, Bogan, princes, walkers, mashburns, Delks, etc careers post UK. This is not new on this forum or forums that preceding it.

They are entertainment to this dude pretending to be a woman, not human beings. That’s he says they’re dead to him when they leave.
That’s a huge theme on this board. Seeing these players as entertainment and not actual people and thinking the players actually owe the fans some sort of gratitude or something for getting the chance to play at UK.

Then why do people like you expect the players to care about UK when here? And the players wr have this year are here for the NIL money mostly and the coach. College sports as you fantasize about are dead.

Talk about hypocrisy. You dont care about UK players so what are they to you? These are human beings. We can want them to earn their money here and win but still talk about them post UK

And people most certainly did talk about and care about Hayes, Rondo, Bogan, princes, walkers, mashburns, Delks, etc careers post UK. This is not new on this forum or forums that preceding it.
I never said I wished them ill will. That would be dehumanizing them. Once they're gone from UK it's next. I'm a college hoops fan, soley.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Sounds like classic jealousy. The lack of money does that to some.
And inversely a lack of perspective or inexperience with true hardship makes you naive to what should truly be heartbreaking. I don’t have much sympathy for a dude making millions of dollars to play game because he got hurt. Now a situation like Terrence Clark? Absolutely! That is actually heartbreaking.

But if a dude lost out $6.3 million to only make $2 million all to just put a ball through a hoop then it’s probably not jealously that motivates people. There are children starving, children being abducted and sold into slavery, animals on the verge of extinction, and plenty more but what breaks your heart is a millionaire losing out on millions? Like I said, get some perspective. Go out and get a job and support a family.

Does it suck for that someone lost millions in their profession? Absolutely. No question. But I’m not going to sleep over a basketball player making 2 million instead 6.3 million while playing a game.

I don’t really relate to the other comment where they don’t care about them at all. I have a general empathy for my fellow humans and I do empathize with losing money. But some of you use the most over top language to describe the hardships of professional athletes when their hardships are but grains of sand when compared to the mountain that is human suffering.

Reactions: rob_47 and BC_Wader
Imagine you get your dream job, life is good and then BAM! Career limiting injury.

Sure, he's not dead. But let's not pretend it doesn't suck and isn't worthy of empathy.
Unfortunate but something he will recover from. Injuries happen, part of sports!!!

And inversely a lack of perspective or inexperience with true hardship makes you naive to what should truly be heartbreaking. I don’t have much sympathy for a dude making millions of dollars to play game because he got hurt. Now a situation like Terrence Clark? Absolutely! That is actually heartbreaking.

But if a dude lost out $6.3 million to only make $2 million all to just put a ball through a hoop then it’s probably not jealously that motivates people. There are children starving, children being abducted and sold into slavery, animals on the verge of extinction, and plenty more but what breaks your heart is a millionaire losing out on millions? Like I said, get some perspective. Go out and get a job and support a family.

Does it suck for that someone lost millions in their profession? Absolutely. No question. But I’m not going to sleep over a basketball player making 2 million instead 6.3 million while playing a game.

I don’t really relate to the other comment where they don’t care about them at all. I have a general empathy for my fellow humans and I do empathize with losing money. But some of you use the most over top language to describe the hardships of professional athletes when their hardships are but grains of sand when compared to the mountain that is human suffering.

Buddy, it's a college basketball forum..

Reactions: Zissou87
Oooh hate that for him
Regardless of him being set for life, or if he could do something else..I’m sure he loves to play
We tend to talk about NBA players as automatons who are only in it for the money
I’d hazard to say that most love the game and love playing it. It’s a blow to not be able to
Sure he has the money and benefits…and thank goodness he does because he’ll get the best care. But you can’t tell me that he’s not scared he’ll never play again, or worse, develop other problems from it

So my hope and prayer are that he heals quickly and well and is able to live out his NBA dream

Reactions: Zissou87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT