ADVERTISEMENT

Murder in Memphis

@Gromcat

What would you recommend to a woman who asked you for advice on jogging at The University of Memphis @ 4:00 AM?
I'm all for freedom but with that comes wisdom. I'd be real reluctant to let wife, girlfriend, daughter run at that time and place. My son is on his own. You can train at other times and places. Take mace, gun, taser or a pitt bull named Demon.

Reactions: blubo and UKUGA
Christ on a stick, y'all sound like a bunch of caterwauling pansies. Memphis is a lovely, charming, and historic place. Been that way for a few thousand years.

Memphis-the-first-capital-of-Egypt.jpg

@Gromcat

What would you recommend to a woman who asked you for advice on jogging at The University of Memphis @ 4:00 AM?

Man that’s pretty damn dangerous. I’d tell her to find a treadmill and take it home.

The UM campus isn’t that safe at all. Its gotten better but when I was in school there my girlfriend wouldn’t even walk to her car alone during the day if it wasn’t close to where she was in class.

Man that’s pretty damn dangerous. I’d tell her to find a treadmill and take it home.

The UM campus isn’t that safe at all. Its gotten better but when I was in school there my girlfriend wouldn’t even walk to her car alone during the day if it wasn’t close to where she was in class.

It’s hard to imaginewhat this woman was thinking.

Wealthy. Kids at home. Etc.

I’m not victim-blaming. But as the earlier poster noted, common-sense is important

Reactions: blubo and Gromcat
Wow, bunch of aholes in this thread. I have 4 small kids and work nights. It’s not uncommon at all to find me out running at 2 or 3 am before work because that’s the ONLY time I have. A treadmill is too damn loud in the middle of the night.

You don’t know this woman or her circumstances. RIP

Wow, bunch of aholes in this thread. I have 4 small kids and work nights. It’s not uncommon at all to find me out running at 2 or 3 am before work because that’s the ONLY time I have. A treadmill is too damn loud in the middle of the night.

Are you in Memphis?

Jog around your yard. Join a 24 hr gym. About a million things better than running around Memphis at 4 in the morning as a female who probably weighs about 110 lbs.

A woman jogging in most any city at 4:00AM is not a good idea. It’s just not. But I hope they hang the asshole that did it.

Way too many animals out there that could not care less about humanity. Protect yourself at all times or at least be aware of your surroundings. And don’t put yourself in unnecessarily dangerous situations. Lots of angry out there.

It’s hard to imaginewhat this woman was thinking.

Wealthy. Kids at home. Etc.

I’m not victim-blaming. But as the earlier poster noted, common-sense is important

Yea I know about this. She was abducted in midtown. The problem with Midtown is you’ve got people convinced it’s safe. Lots of middle class people that love the city and Don’t want to admit it’s as dangerous as it is.

This woman was really stupid for that and her husband was stupid for allowing her to run around in skimpy clothes that early in the morning. I hate this happened to her but there’s no denying it didn’t have to happen. I know people just like them. Laugh at people they deem “paranoid” and say “I feel totally safe just “live your life” and you’ll be fine”. And I have no doubts they were those types. They’re the only ones dumb enough to be out in midtown that early or late by themselves.

Memphis has regulated areas for people to be that is safe. It’s not a city you can just wander around like Cincinnati. Yet here we are, another victim who refuses to believe it.

Last edited:
There is zero chance my wife is running anywhere by herself at 4am in the morning. Know several women runners who are members of morning groups for this reason alone and that is in much safer cities. Just too many crazy people out there these days.

Places go for running, according to local expert Project Pat:

North Memphis
South Memphis
Westwood
Orange Mound

(Project Pat in this MF laying smack down)

Disclaimer: This is not real advice. Please do not run in any of these places

Reactions: Gromcat
Yea I know about this. She was abducted in midtown. The problem with Midtown is you’ve got people convinced it’s safe. Lots of middle class people that love the city and Don’t want to admit it’s as dangerous as it is.

This woman was really stupid for that and her husband was stupid for allowing her to run around in skimpy clothes that early in the morning. I hate this happened to her but there’s no denying it didn’t have to happen. I know people just like them. Laugh at people they deem “paranoid” and say “I feel totally safe just “live your life” and you’ll be fine”. And I have no doubts they were those types. They’re the only ones dumb enough to be out in midtown that early or late by themselves.

Memphis has regulated areas for people to be that is safe. It’s not a city you can just wander around like Cincinnati. Yet here we are, another victim who refuses to believe it.

So weird for me to see Cincinnati used as an example. Grew up there in the 80s and you didn’t go to certain parts of town anytime of day, much less at night. Still can’t get over the fact Over the Rhine is a hot spot for college kids.

Reactions: chroix and blubo
So weird for me to see Cincinnati used as an example. Grew up there in the 80s and you didn’t go to certain parts of town anytime of day, much less at night. Still can’t get over the fact Over the Rhine is a hot spot for college kids.
Same here. Drove through the Rhine on accident back in the 2000's and thought it was possible I was getting shot that night.

Reactions: chroix and blubo
Been following it closely as she’s the friend of a friend. Truly horrific and senseless.

While I wouldn’t run in Memphis alone, at any time, and I’d have serious concerns about my wife doing it… call me crazy, but I think the blame should lie with the POS who kidnapped and killed her. She was in a well lit place covered in cameras (hence why the whole attack was captured on video apparently) on a college campus. The criminal is a monumental idiot (and likely not fully cognizant of technological advances since he’d been in jail so long) so I’m guessing she had a false sense of security since nobody could reasonably get away with such a crime. Unfortunately that doesn’t matter if the criminal is that dumb and brazen. Feel truly awful for her husband and young sons.

I go out at 4 AM in a much safer area. I have an Austrian pal.

Even there I have encountered creeps. The earliest I have seen women jog is 5.

Reactions: birdforbogey
No idea what this woman believed. But a large part of our society refuses to accept certain realities. The ultimate and most dangerous form of virtue signaling.

We all know violent crime is skyrocketing. But she didn’t?

I don't know how feasible it is a for a 90 pound woman but if someone rolled up in a van like that and tried to force me in it you better just murder me in the street cause there is no gd way I'm letting you get me in that van.

Reactions: rudd1
No idea what this woman believed. But a large part of our society refuses to accept certain realities. The ultimate and most dangerous form of virtue signaling.

We all know violent crime is skyrocketing. But she didn’t?

I know people like this all over Memphis. Especially in the midtown area. Look at the poster above. “There was cameras”. “It was well lit”.

I know so many people who think everyone is paranoid, and “you’ll be fine live your life”.

I have no doubts her and her husband fit into this category. Nobody else would run in that area at that time of morning if not. It’s not a mistake, if you take the crime in Memphis seriously you wouldn’t be doing that. They did not take it seriously and now her kids will be scarred for life.

People stop playing games with your lives. Social media isn’t reality and voting for certain people won’t save your life in the heat of the act.

Good grief her husband is a fool. I know he’s going through a lot and will have to live with it but my wife would never be in that position.

Just got back from Cincinnati and couldn’t believe how nice it was. I’m from an area where we don’t have cities that clean and nice. In Cincinnati there are kids running around, and a city pool? Are you kidding? I’m 36 and the cities I go to (STL and Mem) could never have something like that lol.

You guys have no idea how bad some of these cities are. Whatever people are doing in Cincinnati (the way they vote for one I assume they vote opposite of Memphis and STL) keep doing it or you’ll see what real ruin looks like.

People in Memphis and STL are now pretty much regulated to a few areas at certain times of they day and they don’t stray off. Large groups at all times and no exceptions.

Women in Memphis run in groups. No exceptions unless it’s certain areas of midtown at a very specific time. Then you still have to worry.

A lot of people in Memphis are having a hard time accepting the new reality. I know a bunch of them, especially middle class or rich midtown people who grew up there. 4am running in that area I don’t care what someone thinks this woman was going to be a victim in some way one way or the other. Bound to happen but this week was the week. Can’t believe how stupid her husband was. Of course the criminal is to blame but he is also part of that story and I just get sick thinking what he was allowing her to do. He knew at least partially this was stupid. Nobody from Memphis doesn’t know. Period.

Last edited:
Reactions: parrott
Just got back from Cincinnati and couldn’t believe how nice it was. I’m from an area where we don’t have cities that clean and nice. In Cincinnati there are kids running around, and a city pool? Are you kidding? I’m 36 and the cities I go to (STL and Mem) could never have something like that lol.

You guys have no idea how bad some of these cities are. Whatever people are doing in Cincinnati (the way they vote for one I assume they vote opposite of Memphis and STL) keep doing it or you’ll see what real ruin looks like.

People in Memphis and STL are now pretty much regulated to a few areas at certain times of they day and they don’t stray off. Large groups at all times and no exceptions.

Women in Memphis run in groups. No exceptions unless it’s certain areas of midtown at a very specific time. Then you still have to worry.

A lot of people in Memphis are having a hard time accepting the new reality. I know a bunch of them, especially middle class or rich midtown people who grew up there. 4am running in that area I don’t care what someone thinks this woman was going to be a victim in some way one way or the other. Bound to happen but this week was the week. Can’t believe how stupid her husband was. Of course the criminal is to blame but he is also part of that story and I just get sick thinking what he was allowing her to do. He knew at least partially this was stupid. Nobody from Memphis doesn’t know. Period.

I’ve spent extensive time in Memphis, STL, Baltimore, NYC, LA, SF, etc. Ironically the city I haven’t spent any time in during the last 10 years is Cincinnati.

Reactions: Gromcat
I was going to a show at Bogarts in Cincinnati about 19 years ago and got to witness a brawl break out right behind my car. Was just sitting at a red light and someone ran up to the car behind mine and smashed a chair into the windshield. Big group descended onto the car and the car emptied and they all started fighting. I was just watching it in my rear view mirror until my friends started yelling at me to get the hell out there.

So for the record I live in Memphis. I don’t know this lady personally but I know people who both worked with her, and went to church with her. She actually most mornings ran with a group. That area is not unsafe, but this particular individual was a sociopathic predator. It can happen in any city anywhere at any time. I actually think we would be amazed if we knew what went on some of the smallest towns anywhere.

So for the record I live in Memphis. I don’t know this lady personally but I know people who both worked with her, and went to church with her. She actually most mornings ran with a group. That area is not unsafe, but this particular individual was a sociopathic predator. It can happen in any city anywhere at any time. I actually think we would be amazed if we knew what went on some of the smallest towns anywhere.

I don’t disagree. A woman was murdered jogging in a relatively safe area of Plano, TX about a year ago.

That said - women are targets. Most of these sickos attack women for two obvious reasons. (I think we know what those are).

The account that she usually ran in a group makes sense. Sadly, when her group was not available, she ran alone and was easy prey.

This woman was really stupid for that and her husband was stupid for allowing her to run around in skimpy clothes that early in the morning. I hate this happened to her but there’s no denying it didn’t have to happen. I know people just like them. Laugh at people they deem “paranoid” and say “I feel totally safe just “live your life” and you’ll be fine”. And I have no doubts they were those types. They’re the only ones dumb enough to be out in midtown that early or late by
The reason I thought this was near the University was because the first article I read after she went missing referenced runners from the Memphis Women’s running team being harassed.

My mistake.

The reason I thought this was near the University was because the first article I read after she went missing referenced runners from the Memphis Women’s running team being harassed.

My mistake.

I haven’t looked much but I believe she was abducted in midtown which is close to the university district. Both are just east of downtown.

Reactions: UKUGA

IF you are a husband and its ok for you wife/gf to jog at 4am, you are a dumbass.

Reactions: birdforbogey
IF you are a husband and its ok for you wife/gf to jog at 4am, you are a dumbass.

You simply don’t know all the details of the circumstances that led to this. Hope no one is talking about what a dumbass you are as you’re going under…

Reactions: UKMKG
You simply don’t know all the details of the circumstances that led to this. Hope no one is talking about what a dumbass you are as you’re going under…

I like to say the actions were stupid not the person, however, it is UNTHINKABLE and would not happen in my life. My wife would never be anywhere in the city of Memphis at that time by herself on streets. There’s no excuse he could give for letting this happen. If you live or have lived or have a lot of experience in Memphis you know there’s no excuse in this.

When I go to STL I won’t even run in daylight by myself on the streets anymore and me and my father used to do it all the time in the 90’s. These areas are too dangerous now. Too many criminals looking for an easy target.

I realize this was a sociopath or a psychopath and not really crime related, but that doesn’t matter. She was bound to be a victim eventually with that mindset.

This husband let his guard down and she was murdered because of it. I don’t know how it goes in other fanilies, but in mine protection comes down to dad. I might not be able to keep everyone alive but they won’t die that way.

Where are the feminist activists? Where is the outrage in corporate media? Oh…this is just par for the course in urban America? My mistake…

Reactions: UK till Death
It’s actually not that bad. If you stay out of a few areas it’s no different than anywhere else. Most issues are drug and gang related.
Per capita Memphis is the most violent metro in the country, and if you look at only metros over 1 million it is the most violent by a pretty significant margin. If only looking at city limits there are a few in the ballpark (Detroit, St Louis, and Baltimore) but overall Memphis is indeed different than most other places.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT