ADVERTISEMENT

More Pope Offense

Nice breakdown.

Seems like the exact same sets that Cal and Co could never seem to adapt to and defend. I’m gonna try to not dwell on the past, but I would pretty thoroughly enjoy if we ran a similar P&R set to death against Arky this year and crushed them.

Either way—nice to have an actual coach and not just a recruiter.

Thanks wccat. Imagine not only sets but counters to those sets when your opponent takes first and second options away.

Counters. What an interesting concept. Isn’t that what they pay coaches the big bucks for?

Haven’t been this excited for Kentucky basketball since Pitino.
That’s hard for me to believe, you weren’t as excited before the 2009, 2012 and 2015 seasons. We were talking about 40-0 with 2015 before the season and we made it to 38-0. I’m excited for this coming season. Just as I was with some of Cals teams, and some of Tubbys teams. But what do I know? I went to BCG press conference at memorial and was excited about that team 🤷🏻

Has anyone watched the game between BYU and NC State last year. Shows what a good coach and his system can do. Make sure to watch the full game because it looked bad for BYU most of the game.

Reactions: wccat2969
Has anyone watched the game between BYU and NC State last year. Shows what a good coach and his system can do. Make sure to watch the full game because it looked bad for BYU most of the game.
Loved how his team played so hard and how well Jaxson played. The guy hit a ton of FTs. Pope switching up the defenses. So excited to see them play next season.

It’s no coincidence that cal was exposed in 2015. The high pick and roll exposed his defense and his lack of adjustments hindered his offense.

The game passed cal by but he was too stubborn to realize it. Arkansas will be a sad few years before he’s back in the northeast.

Every post turns into a Cal thread.
Sad Eric Cartman GIF by South Park

Are we not allowed to point out the differences between Pope and Cal? he was here 15 years, of course we're going to point out things , as the season goes on we'll notice more and more of the things Cal should have been doing but chose not to.
People are obsessed with not mentioning Cal for some reason. Guy was our catch for 15 years and is now coaching a team in our conference who we will play 1-2 times every year. He's going to be talked about and people should get used to it.

Last edited:
Did they do a break down on Cal's offensive scheme? Just wondering.
Something like Ugonna standing under the basket in a stance like he's on the front line of the Bengals, begging for the ball and his eyes like saucers. And 2 guys running back and forth around the perimeter, while 2 other guys hang out near the mid court stripe waiting for the inevitable trap.

Are we not allowed to point out the differences between Pope and Cal? he was here 15 years, of course we're going to point out things , as the season goes on we'll notice more and more of the things Cal should have been doing but chose not to.
I respect your opinion.
I moved on the day Cal left.
But I don't expect everyone to be like me.

• Haha
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
With the roster we have, I think we see a good bit of (three man) pistol action. With both Williams and Garrison available, it will be more of 4 out offense than having the big float up top.

What is interesting is that Pope really runs more modern pro offensive sets than Cal ever did. A lot of NBA teams use pistol sets in a three man game to get quick scores.

Pope will be doing more to prepare guys for the league than Cal in terms of offense. And hell, Cal didn't coach defense much the past few years either.

Yet you wanna call out anyone who correctly points out our short comings during Cal’s tenure. Noted. Glad you moved on tho bro. Very progressive of you.
If you read the post I said I respect the other persons opinion.
I gave mine, but not once did I call him out

If you read the post I said I respect the other persons opinion.
I gave mine, but not once did I call him out
I saw you call out other posts in this thread aside from that one response— I won’t take the time to go back thru and quote them. But it’s all good brother I’m just passing thru—have a nice afternoon.

It will be nice to run actual offense for a change. And when we need a bucket, there will be an attempt to run something to make that happen. Not throw the ball in, pass it around, someone try to take a defender off the dribble and hope.

Reactions: gbl97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT