ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Coliseum

clevenger32

Junior
Mar 22, 2009
I saw the videos of the tour of the "new" Memorial Coliseum. Unlike Mitch Barnhart, the "new" facility does nothing but make me sad. I think of Allen Fieldhouse and Cameron Indoor both older than Memorial Coliseum and mourn that UK ever moved out of there. I realize that building Rupp Arena was a key anchor of the revitalization of a a nearly dead downtown Lexington in the early 70s. I realize that Rupp doubled the capacity of the men's basketball venue, and on and on. But, what infuriated me was UK Athletics allowed Memorial Coliseum to deteriorate so badly. So badly, that the younger generations of UK fans never realized what a great venue it was for men's basketball, the BEST college basketball venue ever. When a younger generation is told that, they look at someone like me and wonder what I am smoking? For those of you old enough to have been blessed to witness a game in its 11,500 configuration prior to 1977, you know what I am talking about. Rupp Arena was not needed to ensure Kentucky basketball remained great...Allen and Cameron prove that. For me and I am sure many of you, no matter how nice the "new" Memorial Coliseum will be, it won't hold a candle to the pre 1977 version of the greatest basketball venue ever. Very sad.

It would have been nice but our ADs allowed the deterioration so badly that it would been sad to me to hold such an event in a building that became nothing of the palace that it once was.
Not if they had started playing a game or tourney there in the 70s and directed the proceeds to MC upkeep.
Also could have put the UK bball museum in there.
Even if the tourney had been instate teams it would sell out and had a tv deal.

I loved going to Memorial for men's basketball games. That place rocked and was so exciting and intimidating. Times do change and I'm OK with my seats in Rupp but join the crowd that would like one game per season back in Memorial though it doesn't seat nearly as many as it used to. Probably will never happen just for that reason. They would give the seats to all those big KFund folks anyway.

People laughed at Rupp when Memorial was built, said it would be a "white elephant" and that UK would never fill it. Well. guess what............
People romanticize the ambience at Memorial. It was good a lot but indifferent more than remembered. And it went unfilled more often than not At least in the early to mid 70s. I would often not plan on going to a game until I got off-shift. If I had time to shower and if I were walking by before game time I might duck in to see the game. Usually the empty seats were in the crow's nest over the far goal, but sometimes they were in the last rows of the student section. Even for the UT game with Ernie and Bernie. 3 of us got off work around 7 and headed over. 2 of us had indulged in what the young have indulged with for years. One of us had never been to a game. Now that game was what people imagine all UK games of the era were like. Frightening in its loudness. But if you went to an Auburn game, you could hear the players talking, the tennis shoes squeaking, and Joe B yelling out. "This is my belt." [my sister told a joke about the things Hall and Crum were yelling to the players. Crum: This is my tie! Joe B: This is my belt!]

Anyway, Rupp succeeded far more than anyone believed based on the evidence. It turned out there was more appetite for tickets than anyone imagined and the 78 championship gave them a product to validate their wants.

People romanticize the ambience at Memorial. It was good a lot but indifferent more than remembered. And it went unfilled more often than not At least in the early to mid 70s. I would often not plan on going to a game until I got off-shift. If I had time to shower and if I were walking by before game time I might duck in to see the game. Usually the empty seats were in the crow's nest over the far goal, but sometimes they were in the last rows of the student section. Even for the UT game with Ernie and Bernie. 3 of us got off work around 7 and headed over. 2 of us had indulged in what the young have indulged with for years. One of us had never been to a game. Now that game was what people imagine all UK games of the era were like. Frightening in its loudness. But if you went to an Auburn game, you could hear the players talking, the tennis shoes squeaking, and Joe B yelling out. "This is my belt." [my sister told a joke about the things Hall and Crum were yelling to the players. Crum: This is my tie! Joe B: This is my belt!]

Anyway, Rupp succeeded far more than anyone believed based on the evidence. It turned out there was more appetite for tickets than anyone imagined and the 78 championship gave them a product to validate their wants.
Went to many games there especially in the Casey Issel Pratt era then when I was in school 72-75. The 13-13 season of 74 there were some not seats but other than that it was only standing room. There was no place like it

Went to many games there especially in the Casey Issel Pratt era then when I was in school 72-75. The 13-13 season of 74 there were some not seats but other than that it was only standing room. There was no place like it
75 was the last season I went to a game in Memorial so I can't speak after that. Casey/Issel/Pratt were before my time in Lexington. They were much better than the 1st Joe B teams and probably inspired more interest.

But as I said, Rupp Arena and the championship awakened the market.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Im not sure it deteriorated, I always came away impressed by it at blue/white games. Back in the early tubby days you could pretty much just walk in and explore whenever. Some of my fondest memories as a young wildcat are walking the old halls with Mr. Wildcat at basketball camp and it was more or less pristine for its age. IMO the lack of AC was made up for by the giant fans and the history of the place.

Reactions: KFuqua and Fox2monk
I wasn't introduced to sports until the late '70s, and college basketball until '87 or so. Does anyone remember if downtown was still bustling at that point?

I wasn't introduced to sports until the late '70s, and college basketball until '87 or so. Does anyone remember if downtown was still bustling at that point?
Was not. Wasteland.

One of the major reasons Lex needed UK playing in Rupp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT