ADVERTISEMENT

Mechanic Help!!!!!

bigblue7609

Senior
Sep 25, 2009
I need some help guys. I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder, about 3 weeks ago it began to die in the middle of the road. And when it died I would sometime have to crank it a few times before it would start, or I would have to sit there before it would start again. I can't figure out what the problem is. One day the car will run fine. no problems or anything and the next day it will die 6 times before we make it a mile. I was driving it today and it backfired and blew a hole in the side of my muffler. I've put on a new CPS and that wasn't the problem, also the catalytic converter was cut off before so that isn't the problem, we just today put on a new IAC valve. Not the issue. I thought it was the fuel pump but everyone has told me that if it was the fuel pump it wouldn't run at all. I'm at a lost and don't have the money to send it to a mechanic right now. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Could be several different things. Take it to Autozone or similar and have them hook up to your OBDII port. Might get lucky and find the culprit there.

Probably just a sensor sending a bogus reading to your PCM.

Already did this. They found 2 codes which one was for the converter and the other was for a faulty gas hand

I'm not saying its the fuel pump, but I've heard of fuel pumps that start acting up when they get warm.

Originally posted by LordEgg:
Check O2 sensor. If not that I always fall back on it being the snarfblatt
This is what I was going to say. O2 sensors can cut in and out when they go bad. The computer changes the fuel based on what the sensor is reading.

If it was the snarfblatt it would just shut off. Duh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT