ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Pope - Action Plan

jlock7614

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 26, 2012
Louisville
I like many was shocked to hear that Mark Pope is going to be named the next basketball coach of Kentucky. Would have been way down the line of coaches for me but here we are. If you're in the group of fans that are mad at Mark Pope and are trashing him online.....leave, I have zero time or patience for that. This hire falls on Mitch Barnhart and this wil define his legacy. This is a business and even though there are personal issues with Oats, Pearl, Beard, & Wade at this point in their careers I would trust them with this job over Mark Pope but here we are. I was 12 years old in 1996 and I idolized the 96' team. I want nothing more than for Mark Pope to kill it here but I worry this is too big of a jump but I'm going to support him and UK until the wheels fall off. Here's what I think needs to happen in the next month for him to be successful:

1.) Kill the press conference...........and he will.
2.) Get Reed back on board. I think it happens given the connections and the style of play they'll run, Reed will be a joy to watch in this offense.
3.) Attack the portal and do not leave a dime in the war chest for this coming season
4.) Re-recruit the current roster and see if you can get recruits back in the boat (Boogie, JQ)
5.) Hire the best coaching staff money can buy.
6.) Bring back as many former players as possible to the program. Embrace all the "Pitino Guys", "Tubby Guys", Cal Guys", etc.

I think there's a chance, although a slim one that this thing works and works really well but man did Mitch fumble this badly. He put the program and Mark Pope in a really tough spot but if he's willing to bet his legacy on this hire than that says a lot. Again, if you're crapping on Mark Pope and dumping on the Kentucky Basketball program you're not helping in any way, shape, or form. Direct your energy toward Mitch Barnhart. Otherwise, let's enjoy the season ahead and see where this thing takes us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News