ADVERTISEMENT

Man Gets Hit By Roller Coaster at King's Island

lakercat

Senior
Jul 17, 2003
Arntanaro Nelson, a 38 year-old man was struck by the Banshee Roller Coaster at King's Island. He was attempting to retrieve his keys when he jumped multiple fences (after arguing with ride operators). He suffered a major TBI. Apparently, he had two kids with him and they were trying to stop him from jumping the fence. It was believe that he was hit near the Pretzel knot element of the ride. I was just on that ride three weeks ago, and it's very easy to lose things. They do not have a place to store your belongings like Beast, Delirium, etc. When I was there, they moved things very quickly ("get in your seat, quickly"). I love that, but there is a gap in the seat where your pockets would be. My phone came out of my pocket on the chain lift hill, and I was able to grab it before it fell. But I had to hold on to my phone during the ride (I put my arm between my chest and the restraint, and I was able to hang on to my phone. But never in a million years would I jump multiple fences. So dumb.

Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes

That was insanely stupid. I hope he makes it but if he does he's probably looking at some criminal charges.

I visited Kings Island very soon after this happened:

Today in history: Deadly day at Kings Island with 3 deaths, 1 hospitalization

The day was Sunday, June 9, 1991. Three people were killed and a fourth person was hospitalized in a bizarre sequence that involved two separate incidents a little more than an hour apart.

About 8:30 p.m., Timothy Binning, 22, of Mariemont, was crossing a wooden walkway near Bier Garten Lake when he reached over to splash some water and was jolted by a shock and fell in. His friend, William “Eddie” Haithcoat Jr., 21, of Oakley, and park security guard Darrell Robertson, 20, of Hamilton, both jumped into the water to save him, and both were fatally electrocuted. Only Binning survived, hospitalized with burns on his arm and neck.

Investigations by electrical experts and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) determined that the men had been shocked by a surge in an aerator pump that did not have a functioning ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI). OSHA fined Kings Island $23,500 for seven safety violations.

That same night, about 9:45 p.m., Candy Taylor, 32, from Toledo, dropped out of a gondola on the Flight Commander ride and fell 60 feet to her death.

The ride, which opened in 1990, had 20 two-person pods that circled a central tower. Riders could use a joystick to make the capsules go up or down or roll 360 degrees. Taylor, who had a blood alcohol content of 0.30%, according to the coroner’s report, had slipped through the ride’s restraints into the empty seat, which did not have restraints in place. When the pod was upside down, she fell out. Officials blamed a design flaw.

Kings Island modified the restraints and seat dividers, and Flight Commander resumed operation a year later until the ride was closed in 1995 and dismantled.

Other deaths at Kings Island:

• July 24, 1976: John “Jack” McCann, 20, a ranger at Kings Island’s Lion Country Safari, had gotten out of his vehicle and was mauled to death by lions.
  • May 13, 1983: John Harter, 17, of Delaware, Ohio, fell to his death while attempting to climb a section of the park’s Eiffel Tower replica and landed on top of the elevator.
  • Aug. 2, 1986: Mark Beckman, 26, of Youngstown, died after breaking his neck by diving from a 13-foot-high platform into the 2-foot-deep International Street fountain on July 26.
  • Aug. 5, 1989: Kings Island tuba player Thomas Cahall, 39, of Covington, died after he was struck by lightning while walking through the employee parking lot.

Last edited:
I rode ‘flight commander’ once when I was a kid and I refused to turn it upside down because it seemed to dangerous. And that was the age where we’d set up a ramp at the bottom of a hill and ride our bikes down it as fast as possible with no helmet on 😵‍💫

Do stupid things, stupid things happen. All this idiot had to do was wait for the cycle to come to a stop then one of the workers would have gladly fetched it for him. Now, because this dumbass didn’t have any patience, he’s gonna have 15 ambulance chasers wanting to take his case and sue the park.

Now, because this dumbass didn’t have any patience, he’s gonna have 15 ambulance chasers wanting to take his case and sue the park.

I doubt he even remotely has a case. He was told not to do it and still scaled two security fences.

7051dc99db378ab1321c23c1be10eaf9.gif

You think that will stop an attorney? They’ll find fault somewhere.

Maybe. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

His name's been revealed (I think WLWT broke the story):

https://www.wlwt.com/article/kings-island-roller-coaster-arntanaro-nelson/61213169

The man was identified by police as 38-year-old Arntanaro Nelson, from Wilmington, Ohio. He was taken to the University of Cincinnati West Chester and then flown to UC Medical Center. Police said the man suffered critical injuries.

And apparently this is the guy:

images
images

Some sources are saying that he passed away, but I don't think there's been any official word, so take it with a grain of salt.

it was being reported saturday night that the man died from massive head injury.

• Sad
Reactions: J_Dee
Arntanaro Nelson, a 38 year-old man was struck by the Banshee Roller Coaster at King's Island. He was attempting to retrieve his keys when he jumped multiple fences (after arguing with ride operators). He suffered a major TBI. Apparently, he had two kids with him and they were trying to stop him from jumping the fence. It was believe that he was hit near the Pretzel knot element of the ride. I was just on that ride three weeks ago, and it's very easy to lose things. They do not have a place to store your belongings like Beast, Delirium, etc. When I was there, they moved things very quickly ("get in your seat, quickly"). I love that, but there is a gap in the seat where your pockets would be. My phone came out of my pocket on the chain lift hill, and I was able to grab it before it fell. But I had to hold on to my phone during the ride (I put my arm between my chest and the restraint, and I was able to hang on to my phone. But never in a million years would I jump multiple fences. So dumb.

Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes
Darwin award winner after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: WTF Cat and J_Dee
That's why I always bring a fanny pack if I go to theme or rollercoaster parks. I may look ridiculous, but I ain't losing shit lol
We just need to make fanny packs cool again is all. I've been working on this for years. Welcome aboard!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT