ADVERTISEMENT

Lunardi…

J-Ryan

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 18, 2020
Saw an article that said even after what he saw in the global jam plus the addition of the new big man, he still doesn’t think it moves the needle at all. Still has us a 6 seed. I know none of that means anything but it’s hard for me to believe that he doesn’t see us being any better than that

Saw an article that said even after what he saw in the global jam plus the addition of the new big man, he still doesn’t think it moves the needle at all. Still has us a 6 seed. I know none of that means anything but it’s hard for me to believe that he doesn’t see us being any better than that
Prolly just being cautious after putting us as an early 1 so much and getting burnt at the end of the year.

He made his point and it worked. You read his article, brought it here named dropped so others will clickbait, and created hits for him while keeping his name important. Lunardi is good at picking 64 when it’s obvious, occasionally gets a shocker right. Fact is no one knows what a team will do till they play.

What has he ever known? He changes every week. Anyone on here can do that.

Be honest, what seed did you have UK at after the Bahamas last year? Be honest now.

Where did you have the 20/21 (Boston/Clarke/Askew) team at after those summer reports?

Every year the media and fans dive head first into the hype because we have all these shiny new toys, but then we get spanked in the champions classic and lose to almost every other ranked team we face.

So you really can't blame Lunardi for making Calipari show him something different.

Excuse Me What GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Haha
Reactions: HerrosHeroes
Be honest, what seed did you have UK at after the Bahamas last year? Be honest now.

Where did you have the 20/21 (Boston/Clarke/Askew) team at after those summer reports?

Every year the media and fans dive head first into the hype because we have all these shiny new toys, but then we get spanked in the champions classic and lose to almost every other ranked team we face.

So you really can't blame Lunardi for making Calipari show him something different.
I think Cal knows this too,if it doesn't work out this year then Im not sure what Cal tries next

A 6 with the roster Ky has is laughable. Especially when he has unc as a 4 with their roster.
We had a roster with a ton of talent in 14 as well and got an 8 seed. Yes we made the final 4 but could have lost in any round along the way. Lunardi is a blow hard regardless. He’s had us as a 1 or 2 seed early in many years we failed to deliver. Who really cares where he has us befure football season has even started.

Heck for now have them out of the tourney. I mean Cal has done nothing recently to move a needle. Let them earn it. Preseason means nota.

Reactions: KFuqua
This team looks like a typical Cal contender level team circa 2010-17.

Problem is, times have changed and Freshmen heavy teams haven’t really made a splash since the era of the portal and NIL began.

This is the best collection of talent Cal has had since 2017, at least on paper, but whether they can contend in this new era remains to be seen.

I think a 6 seed is pretty fair for this team given the circumstances.

Problem is, times have changed and Freshmen heavy teams haven’t really made a splash since the era of the portal and NIL began.

This is the best collection of talent Cal has had since 2017, at least on paper, but whether they can contend in this new era remains to be seen.

Nobody has really gathered a true Freshman dominated squad the past couple years. Maybe Duke by rankings, but not at the level of the Zion team. It will be interesting for sure, but I love the makeup of this team now. I am super happy we have a proven Veteran wing that shoots the lights out, and a veteran big we can count on night in and out now.

We had a roster with a ton of talent in 14 as well and got an 8 seed. Yes we made the final 4 but could have lost in any round along the way. Lunardi is a blow hard regardless. He’s had us as a 1 or 2 seed early in many years we failed to deliver. Who really cares where he has us befure football season has even started.
I never worried about the 2014 team, we lost so many close games. I just felt they needed to put it all together and they did at the end of the year.

I can see a 3 seed pretty easy. If Bradshaw gets healthy+ is as good as projected, UGO gets healthy, and Ivisic is as good as he looks on tape we could be a legit contender and 1 seed.
I think 3-4 is the peak for seeding but that’s just off intial feel, I could be wrong

Reactions: Fox2monk
Prolly just being cautious after putting us as an early 1 so much and getting burnt at the end of the year.
That’s how I see it too. The media has lost trust in Cal. We use to have a new crop of freshman ad were a top 10 team of faith we’d be there at the end.

We are 3 seasons into massively underperforming, combined w the audible pressure on Cal in the media this past season and rumors, and you have ppl take a “show me it’s real” mentality

There’s a reason most fans, regardless of schools, refer to him as Lutardi…

Reactions: SosaUK1987
I prefer for everyone to keep their expectations low. It can only motivate our guys. Besides, these polls and projections are ridiculous at this point. The fact that he does brackets all year long is just too dumb for words. Props to him for the grift though. If he can make money doing it, more power to him.
ESPN has to justify his salary somehow lol. It’s amazing they laid off all these other people who work daily and he stays on. They could hire him a month out of the year honestly.

Lol. My 8 year grandson can do his job. Seed every team according to their ranking. Nothing more than click bait.

Nah I think that is our average unless Cal royally screws this up or we don’t get healthy. I think our ceiling is a 1 and the Floor is a 6 with this group.
Could be, but with this schedule this year we gotta be realistic with what Kentucky will do as well

I'm not putting much stock into those predictions. If we do we are supposed to do, we could have a 1 seed as well.

I'm not worried about bracketology right now or any of the prognosticators. They're just trying to get hits right now and the best way to get hits from UK fans is saying something negative about the team. I don't mind the team being lower down the totem pole right now. They need to earn their way after the last couple years.

Having said this, just to be logical we would have to say one of 3 things:
1. His original prediction was too high.
2. He didn't actually watch the games in Canada.
3. His current prediction is too low.

There was just too much unknown before the games of Canada. I don't think even the most diehard UK fan (ok, there are some who will say they knew it, but I'm not so sure) would have predicted a 4-0 trip and to see the kind of offense, defense, and teamwork we saw. There is no way you could watch that and not come away with an improved evaluation of the team. I'm not saying they should be ranked top 10 at this point or maybe even top 15 until we see them in the regular season, but if you had them in the 20-25 range (aka a 6-seed), you'd have to move them up if you're paying attention and aren't brain dead. It's obvious.

But as I say, he's probably trying to stir the pot and get UK fans angry and commenting, and I'm sure it's working. :D

I think we will know pretty quickly how good we are. If we come out and take care of business in *some* of the early games it will indicate to me we are cooking with grease.

Doesn't mean we cannot be good if we don't but if a team of mostly young guys handles a team like Kansas, Miami, Gonzaga, etc...I think it will be VERY telling of what our ceiling is.

A team of young guys will naturally get better whereas a team of vets generally don't....by the time you are a JR/SR you sort of are what you are. JMHO.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I'm not worried about bracketology right now or any of the prognosticators. They're just trying to get hits right now and the best way to get hits from UK fans is saying something negative about the team. I don't mind the team being lower down the totem pole right now. They need to earn their way after the last couple years.

Having said this, just to be logical we would have to say one of 3 things:
1. His original prediction was too high.
2. He didn't actually watch the games in Canada.
3. His current prediction is too low.

There was just too much unknown before the games of Canada. I don't think even the most diehard UK fan (ok, there are some who will say they knew it, but I'm not so sure) would have predicted a 4-0 trip and to see the kind of offense, defense, and teamwork we saw. There is no way you could watch that and not come away with an improved evaluation of the team. I'm not saying they should be ranked top 10 at this point or maybe even top 15 until we see them in the regular season, but if you had them in the 20-25 range (aka a 6-seed), you'd have to move them up if you're paying attention and aren't brain dead. It's obvious.

But as I say, he's probably trying to stir the pot and get UK fans angry and commenting, and I'm sure it's working. :D
What I think is funny is even the Nerlens team was preseason Number #2 I wanna say, this freshman group is way better and deeper than that team, but Cal hasn't had a great team in three years so he doesn't get benefit of the doubt like he did for years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT