ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Mark Pope finally has a BYU team that can challenge Gonzaga

I'm happy for the guy and his early success. However, the BIG 12 ain't the WCC. I hope he's able to survive.
Hr had a decent team by their standard like 2 yrs ago I think. But no coaches survive anymore. It's just a jump on, jump off kind of job. Hang on as long as you can but it's coming soon for every coach. Ppl are so impatient and it's a microwave world we live in. Calipari and Self are the last of the double digit year coaches for the most part. Every once in awhile it may happen you will see a good guy make it 10 yrs but by that point he probably already resents everything about that town , school, and job so much that he'll be ready to move on unless he just does something extra ordinary, every year.

The sad part is alot of times its an AD letting public pressure get to him and instead of sticking it out with a guy they go out and get the next guy and then repeat every 3 yrs. Alot of decent proven coaches get fired over a single down yr instead of being given one more yr to see what it could be or if they could bounce back.

I hope Pope does well and is successful though and proves me wrong. And hope he last for 30 yrs there or wherever he wants to be. He a genuinely good guy.

Pope has had a few rough years coaching (mainly at Utah Valley). But he's done well making BYU somewhat competitive. The last couple of seasons have been a little bumpy (NIT and then no postseason).

Mark Pope has a lot more to worry about than Gonzaga.
Hell yes indeed! He gotta watch out for the guys who are Pepsi drinkers and Steak eaters and keep em from ruining their lives over a can of Coke. Stuff like that could divide the team. Or a life could be taken in an instant by getting behind the wheel under the influence of Dr Thunder.

Hell yes indeed! He gotta watch out for the guys who are Pepsi drinkers and Steak eaters and keep em from ruining their lives over a can of Coke. Stuff like that could divide the team. Or a life could be taken in an instant by getting behind the wheel under the influence of Dr Thunder.
You'd be surprised how much the Honor Code is broken at BYU. Not everyone there is Mormon. BYU is a prestigious academic school, so some choose to attend on that alone. But yeah, do some reading and internet browsing on how much the Code is broken. LGBTQ is accepted in admissions (surprisngly) but the Code forbids open displays of it. Interesting reads out there to be sure.

Had no idea BYU moved to the B12. I can't keep up. I'm waiting for University of Vermont to join the Big West and have a home and home with Long Beach St.

Call it the "Surfers vs Skiers" rivalry game.
I’d forgotten about that. I was looking at him being able to knock off Gonzaga for the West Coast conference title.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Bet they go .500 in league, minimum. They’re legit.
Better than that, I bet they contend at least for a bit. They won’t win but I could see them with a top 4 finish. I know the Big 12 is rough but all teams will beat each other up except Kansas. They will lose about 3 games due to that FT disparity they get.

Hr had a decent team by their standard like 2 yrs ago I think. But no coaches survive anymore. It's just a jump on, jump off kind of job. Hang on as long as you can but it's coming soon for every coach. Ppl are so impatient and it's a microwave world we live in. Calipari and Self are the last of the double digit year coaches for the most part. Every once in awhile it may happen you will see a good guy make it 10 yrs but by that point he probably already resents everything about that town , school, and job so much that he'll be ready to move on unless he just does something extra ordinary, every year.

The sad part is alot of times its an AD letting public pressure get to him and instead of sticking it out with a guy they go out and get the next guy and then repeat every 3 yrs. Alot of decent proven coaches get fired over a single down yr instead of being given one more yr to see what it could be or if they could bounce back.

I hope Pope does well and is successful though and proves me wrong. And hope he last for 30 yrs there or wherever he wants to be. He a genuinely good guy.
Yes he is… knew him and hung out with him while at UK. Still the only dude I ever saw where flip flops on bare feet in the snow… more than once. Dude was happy all the time and very engaging. Keep up with him and miss the guy!

Reactions: BlueWhite21
Still the only dude I ever saw where flip flops on bare feet in the snow
Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

Better than that, I bet they contend at least for a bit. They won’t win but I could see them with a top 4 finish. I know the Big 12 is rough but all teams will beat each other up except Kansas. They will lose about 3 games due to that FT disparity they get.
I'm curious how both BYU and UC do now. Both would probably be getting bids if they hadn't moved. BYU is better than they were placed in the pre-season poll imo.

Image-11-27-23-at-10-26-AM.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
Wow BYU being picked 13th in that league is kinda crazy.

Kenpom has them top 10 overall and finishing just 2 games behind Houston and 1 game behind KU.

That's a massive discrepency lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT