ADVERTISEMENT

Longest tenured coaches in football

*Bleedingblue*

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 6, 2009
Was reading an article talking about how the fans at iowa want Ferentz gone. How he has let the game pass him by, and he has had his day and time to hang it up.
It had me wondering about coaches across college football and if coaches reach a pinnacle and then slowly start losing their mojo. I hear it and read it not only from iowa fans but also Clemson, Bama, and now Kentucky. All have long tenured coaches.

I've heard for years that it's usually a 10-year period. Not to mention, coaches like to bounce around while their name is a hot commodity. Is it a good thing for a coach to refresh himself bouncing around?
Paterno, Fulmer, Bowden, Beamer, etc. were all great coaches in their day stayed too long.
You have schools like ND that have had some success, but their coaches were not there for 20 years or more. I think Brian Kelly was one of the longest tenured coaches they have had.
Makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better if the program had a refresher. I like Stoops but don't like half his staff. Lot of em are lazy recruiters and don't do a good job of coaching either.

Here is a list of the longest tenured coaches

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News