ADVERTISEMENT

Liam McNeely

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023

I’m not saying this kid would even pick Kentucky but for the love of God can we please stop trying to fill roster spots with freshmen? At what point does Cal go after these top rated transfers instead of guys like this?

We would’ve had 0 transfers this season if it wasn’t for Huggins becoming an alcoholic.

I think Calipari still wants to prove that he can win a NCAAT with an all freshman team. I think he would lie about have an older team. JMO He is never going to change.

If we sign another Freshman in this class, Cal is insane.

An article was just released today or yesterday about what the Sweet-16 teams were composed of. 3 teams started 1 Freshman. The rest were upperclassmen. You're not winning anything with nothing but Freshman in the portal era. It's not happening. Stop wasting everyone's time with the nonsense.

I’m not saying this kid would even pick Kentucky but for the love of God can we please stop trying to fill roster spots with freshmen? At what point does Cal go after these top rated transfers instead of guys like this?

We would’ve had 0 transfers this season if it wasn’t for Huggins becoming an alcoholic.

"becoming" an alchoholic ???

Seinfeld Laughter GIF - Seinfeld Laughter Kramer GIFs

Will UConn, Kansas, Houston, and Michigan please stop trying to fill their roster with freshmen!

Will UConn, Kansas, Houston, and Michigan please stop trying to fill their roster with freshmen!

UConn has 2
Kansas has 3
Houston has 2
Michigan has 2
Kentucky already has 6 for next season

Kentucky and Duke are the only teams with 6 freshmen coming in next season. Just go look for yourself at how many teams have.

What’s your point?

I put this elsewhere without seeing this thread.

I think it’s very fair to question whether Cal has run our boosters so far away from basketball that he can’t buy the top transfers. The NBA and “real NIL” pitch works much better to high schoolers than transfers IMO.

It looks silly on our part as a program. Also don’t forget about the real possibility of a Jasper Johnson/Darryn Peterson reclass.

An article was just released today or yesterday about what the Sweet-16 teams were composed of. 3 teams started 1 Freshman. The rest were upperclassmen. You're not winning anything with nothing but Freshman in the portal era. It's not happening. Stop wasting everyone's time with the nonsense.
How many of those teams would start Reed Shepard? Rob Dillingham? They would both start for 14 of those schools. You need experience but you need coachable talent first and foremost

Reactions: Mike-D
UConn has 2
Kansas has 3
Houston has 2
Michigan has 2
Kentucky already has 6 for next season

Kentucky and Duke are the only teams with 6 freshmen coming in next season. Just go look for yourself at how many teams have.

What’s your point?
My point is, if he can play then he can play. If those teams want him then I’d say they extra confirmation that he can play and I hope we get him. We will get our older kids in the portal. I’m Sure there’s room for another shooter even if he was born later than we may prefer.

My point is, if he can play then he can play. If those teams want him then I’d say they extra confirmation that he can play and I hope we get him. We will get our older kids in the portal. I’m Sure there’s room for another shooter even if he was born later than we may prefer.
How many older kids will we actually get? Because this season we only had 1 and that was by the grace of God….

He doesn't believe in analytics. The last two teams prove that. We're just dumb Bennies.

Reactions: chroix and Mike-D

Becoming!? Dude has drank 13 olympic sized swimming pools of beer since joining WV. He was even worse at UC.

• Haha
Reactions: CROCAT
To your point though, we might be losing everyone this year so adding this guy plus 5 transfers might be just as good of an option.

This is a guy we should take. Freshman are fine if they are talented and I would think if he was to commit we would lose a current freshman and replace them with a transfer. Fine with me.
Agree he's a guy I'd be willing to take over someone who is committed (Knox-who ironically was his AAU teammate) and yet if I were advising him, I'd tell him to go to UConn.

Agree he's a guy I'd be willing to take over someone who is committed (Knox-who ironically was his AAU teammate) and yet if I were advising him, I'd tell him to go to UConn.

What's your thoughts on Billy Richmond? He's the one that worries me the most. Sounds like the typical Cal recruit... athletic but not particularly skilled and lacking offensively.

I read that Knox and Richmond haven't signed yet so there's no guarantee they end up here. I think an Edwards return could possibly push one out, and if the Camden Connection transfer/go pro then Richmond might back out too. I'd rather fill the roster through the portal, unless we lose virtually the entire team. Which could be possible.

What's your thoughts on Billy Richmond? He's the one that worries me the most. Sounds like the typical Cal recruit... athletic but not particularly skilled and lacking offensively.

I read that Knox and Richmond haven't signed yet so there's no guarantee they end up here. I think an Edwards return could possibly push one out, and if the Camden Connection transfer/go pro then Richmond might back out too. I'd rather fill the roster through the portal, unless we lose virtually the entire team. Which could be possible.
I like Richmond more than Knox and more than most like him. I think he's the type of mentally tough guy that this program has been lacking and he can impact a game in several ways. He's a good defensive player. Good passer/rebounds and improved his jumper a great deal this season. He'd be one I'd try to keep.

Knox is the recruitment that raised eyebrows as UK was done with this and not invested and then Cal went rogue and took the commitment. I don't think Karter is a bad player but I think the way he/his camp see him and way he'll need to be best utilized aren't on same page.

Reactions: The_Catfather
^ I hear what you're saying. I'd forgotten all about Knox then was surprised when he committed. He certainly LOOKS the part. I'm just worried about loading up on "stud" freshmen, then missing on key portal guys because they realize Cal's affinity for highly-rated freshmen. But if we're gonna be losing everyone I guess the staff has to take what they can now then hit the portal later.

^ I hear what you're saying. I'd forgotten all about Knox then was surprised when he committed. He certainly LOOKS the part. I'm just worried about loading up on "stud" freshmen, then missing on key portal guys because they realize Cal's affinity for highly-rated freshmen. But if we're gonna be losing everyone I guess the staff has to take what they can now then hit the portal later.
Thing is--the "Stud Freshman" aren't studs this year. There are some talented guys--like Jayden Quaintance who is an elite talent in terms of size/skill and way he can move on the court. I'm a big Boogie Fland guy--think he's been underrated but he too--Jayden is 16 yrs old--turns 17 this Summer and Boogie is young for his class-he is 17 going to be 18 next year--is so young.

Richmond is type of guy I like to bring in with idea of being a Program guy-but that's where everyone is sick of Cal. He pushes guys like this out-they are talented and can be developed but he's not a 1 and done type.

They need some experienced guys and mix of that can be returning players and Portal-nobody is saying just have it be Portal--but it can't be good but not elite Freshmen unless you plan on keeping them and having them be program players which we know isn't the case.

Reactions: 1war
^I agree they're not. I meant "stud" in the sense they're highly rated and could pose a threat to portal guys that we need. At this point everyone realizes Cal is going to stick with a struggling highly-rated freshman come hell or high water.

But I like Fland too. He looks like a keeper.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT