ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Woodworking Project

KyCatFan

All-American
May 7, 2002
I'm a novice with building things still and have limited tools to do it. So i don't claim to be the best at it. Some may remember the simple bench made of 2x4's I did in the summer. Well I just finished my latest creation.

EriK8B4.jpg

9U6R2t4.jpg

I've been wanting to make one of these flag gun concealment cases after seeing a bunch of them on YouTube.

It has a few minor issues but it turned out pretty good. I burned the wood with a torch. It was a bit windy so it wasn't very evenly done but I kinda like how it turned out. Some of the boards had a little bit of warping and I couldn't quite get them all straight.

I carved out all those stars and let me tell you that was a pain. I added European style hinges, struts, and an rfid lock. Only thing left to do is hang it up and decide what kind of weapon mounts to put in it.

Altogether it probably ran me about $140 for everything and that included some tools I had to buy (forstner bit, some clamps, and a cheap $10 rotary tool), an extra set of struts, and a bunch of stain leftover for future projects. So it was probably closer to $100 in just the project parts.

I am fairly pleased with how it turned out with what little experience I have and the lack of quality tools. Anyone else have a project they have done recently or are in the process of doing?

I'm a novice with building things still and have limited tools to do it. So i don't claim to be the best at it. Some may remember the simple bench made of 2x4's I did in the summer. Well I just finished my latest creation.

EriK8B4.jpg

9U6R2t4.jpg

I've been wanting to make one of these flag gun concealment cases after seeing a bunch of them on YouTube.

It has a few minor issues but it turned out pretty good. I burned the wood with a torch. It was a bit windy so it wasn't very evenly done but I kinda like how it turned out. Some of the boards had a little bit of warping and I couldn't quite get them all straight.

I carved out all those stars and let me tell you that was a pain. I added European style hinges, struts, and an rfid lock. Only thing left to do is hang it up and decide what kind of weapon mounts to put in it.

Altogether it probably ran me about $140 for everything and that included some tools I had to buy (forstner bit, some clamps, and a cheap $10 rotary tool), an extra set of struts, and a bunch of stain leftover for future projects. So it was probably closer to $100 in just the project parts.

I am fairly pleased with how it turned out with what little experience I have and the lack of quality tools. Anyone else have a project they have done recently or are in the process of doing?
Looks good! What kind of wood is that? Sorry if I missed the answer in your post but I just scanned it.

I’ve been meaning to do my own project. Want to build a custom set of free standing shelves since I can’t really find anything prebuilt that fits what I’m looking for. It’s been put on hold for a while because of finances and the whole lumber prices being thru the roof thing.

Reactions: KyCatFan
I believe the stripes and the sides of the box are just pine. The local Menards has it in different qualities. These were the 2nd best out of like 3 or 4. The canton (star area) and the back of the box were just sanded plywood. One was a 2x4 sheet and the other was a 2x2 sheet.

I believe altogether I spent in the mid $50's on the lumber (I do get 11% back from a mail in rebate though). I slightly altered the flag dimensions so I could get the biggest bang for the buck (less than an inch). Was able to get 2 long stripes and a short one out of 1 piece of 1x2 at 8'.

Last edited:
Reactions: augustaky1
Nice.

This is something small, but I’ve been trying to teach our son woodworking. Do you remember those old penny basketball games from the 80s? I’ve been teaching him his to make them. It’s something kinda easy, but hoping he enjoys it, working with tools, etc. He seems to.

I’ve been itching to start back up in woodworking.
I’ve got some plans for a toy box that also has a hidden spot for a rifle.
A toy box with a hidden rifle? Seems like opposite ends of the spectrum. lol I do enjoy hidden compartments built into random things. I've seen some nice tables with things like hidden guns, liquor, and games in them.

Reactions: SosaUK87
I built my fence and gate myself last summer. Also built frames for some canvas mounting for art in my house. Need to find a new project this summer
It's so much more satisfying seeing a project that you built with your own hands (at least if it turns out like you want). I'm hoping I find me another little project or two over the summer. Especially if they don't hurry up and end a lot of the Covid restrictions.

Full disclosure, I am not a woodworker at all. However, I do enjoy tinkering with projects.
In the late nineties, I picked up the penmaking "craze" of the time. It was simple, reasonably inexpensive, and gratifying.

I dropped the hobby and moved on to something else around 2000, but I kept my tools and supplies. A couple of winters ago, I bought some new kits and cleaned everything up.

The pens are ok to do, but I enjoyed making Christmas ornaments and the like out of the scraps and old parts.

Your imagination is the only thing that limits you, and you can move up in complexity as you progress. Maybe I will get back at it again this year.

A couple of Saturday afternoon projects in different stages of competition:

Reminds me of my computer table. Built around 2012 and commandeered by my daughter a few years back.

Working with pipe for projects like this seems convenient as long as you don't have to do any cutting and threading. I have a smaller project I want to do using pipe. I want to make a small lamp out of the pipe and use an Edison bulb with it. Give it an industrial/steam punk kind of look.

Something like this.
s-l400.jpg

You can make a piece of art out of it with the various pipe accessories you can find. I've seen some really elaborate ones that people have made that look like they could go in some kind of museum.

I love woodworking, and for several years I tried to do a couple of projects each year so I could improve my skills. Unfortunately, I had a cancer scare a little over 2 years ago and I couldn't do much while going through treatment and surgery. I'm feeling much better now and so far I am cancer free, so i am hoping to get back to making a project or two each year. The last project I did before I got sick was a sugar chest made out of cherry. It was challenging, but I was really happy with how it turned out. I tried to post a couple of pictures but I couldn't figure out how to post pictures that are on your computer. I have posted pictures off the internet before using a URL, but I couldn't figure out how to do one from my pictures folder. If anyone can explain how to do that, I will post a couple of pictures of the sugar chest.

I tried using Postimage, so hopefully, this link will work. https://postimg.cc/gallery/6nMqxZG

Last edited:
I love woodworking, and for several years I tried to do a couple of projects each year so I could improve my skills. Unfortunately, I had a cancer scare a little over 2 years ago and I couldn't do much while going through treatment and surgery. I'm feeling much better now and so far I am cancer free, so i am hoping to get back to making a project or two each year. The last project I did before I got sick was a sugar chest made out of cherry. It was challenging, but I was really happy with how it turned out. I tried to post a couple of pictures but I couldn't figure out how to post pictures that are on your computer. I have posted pictures off the internet before using a URL, but I couldn't figure out how to do one from my pictures folder. If anyone can explain how to do that, I will post a couple of pictures of the sugar chest.
I use imgur. Just go to their site and create a free account. I use it on my phone but haven't tried it on a pc. Then upload the picture there. Then when you view it copy the web address for the picture and paste it here like you normally do.

Reactions: augustaky1
I use imgur. Just go to their site and create a free account. I use it on my phone but haven't tried it on a pc. Then upload the picture there. Then when you view it copy the web address for the picture and paste it here like you normally do.
I just tried Postimage and added the link to my original post. Hopefully, the link works.

Last edited:
I’m not that worried about. The little guy has been around guns all his life. Heck, he has a little Red Ryder BB gun he loves running around and plinking stuff in the house.

He is a good listener (when he takes his ADHD meds) and I trust the little guy

Haven't been able to update the project until now. Been helping my mom setup her pond and getting the fish in it.

Here is the update.
gX5kRwd.jpg

Added a motion sensor light. Found some strong magnets that I used to hold my Taurus Millenium G2 and the magazines. Ignore the brown material that was just put there temporarily to keep from scratching the gun and mags. I think i might just cover the magnets with electrical tape to put some protection between there.

Had trouble figuring out how to mount the Heritage Arms Revolver. Ended up finding clamps with rubber covering them that fit nicely over the barrel and allow it to slide out easily. Added a third clamp just for extra support and it can be bent down out of the way when needed. Only thing left is a couple more guns to go in there one of these days.

Reactions: vhcat70
You guys pick up any woodworking goodies from Santa this year? I’ve needed a router upgrade forever, and Mrs Claus hooked me up today with a Bosch 1617EVSPK plunge router and a Bosch RA1181 Benchtop router table. We’re in Knoxville and Lexington for Christmas til Tuesday, but I can’t wait to get back home and get my new router and table set up. There are a handful of absolute must-haves in a woodworking shop, and a good router/router table is one of them. Looking forward to breaking them in.

Here is one of the signs I gave to co worker at school where I'm subbing this year. Cedar wood. Name is routered out, painted black than sealed. The name was free handed out via router.

320007813_1519387631891711_6480758605946165953_n.jpg

I can't even write legibly these days most of the time. I barely write anymore so it's becoming a lost art. They didn't even teach how to write in cursive to my son who's 21 now.

Reactions: vhcat70
Love this topic.

I’ve got some scrap wood from deck. But not the pressure treated waste, it’s a Brazilian hardwood (Tigerwood, very heavy and will last decades) that I want to do something with. Was thinking an outdoor bar if can think how I want it designed.

Here is another router sign we made. This is from barn wood.
My penmanship is a whole lot better using router than by hand. lol.

e
321908237_1100620060635282_7437074656752863331_n.jpg

Love this topic.

I’ve got some scrap wood from deck. But not the pressure treated waste, it’s a Brazilian hardwood (Tigerwood, very heavy and will last decades) that I want to do something with. Was thinking an outdoor bar if can think how I want it designed.
There are several wood working sites with plans for building items.
Ana White has a good site also my outdoor plans is another good site.

I just finished this project for my son. It was supposed to be a graduation present back in June but because of the design he choose I had to hand cut 32 dovetails in 2" thick walnut. It took me forever. They weren't prefect but I was happy with the way it turned out.

I can never get the image to post so here is a link to postimage that shows some pictures of the table. https://postimg.cc/gallery/9F4C7Kc

I just finished this project for my son. It was supposed to be a graduation present back in June but because of the design he choose I had to hand cut 32 dovetails in 2" thick walnut. It took me forever. They weren't prefect but I was happy with the way it turned out.

I can never get the image to post so here is a link to postimage that shows some pictures of the table. https://postimg.cc/gallery/9F4C7Kc

That’s really cool.

Gorgeous. I have no talent/patience for that work. Congratulations. Son should love forever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT