ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Late night update

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Here is what Cats Illustrated has learned at this late hour. This according to sources:

** Nate Oats was indeed the first person that Mitch Barnhart approached about the head coaching position. Apparently when Barnhart approached Byrne it was a firm no. Those two are on good terms but it wasn't Oats saying no. It was Alabama saying they would not negotiate down the buyout so there was no need to approach Oats. That tells you that Kentucky was very interested in Oats but not willing to take on the full buyout. But he was the first approach. The issue is UK was not given permission to negotiate down the buyout and that was the end of it.

** Have heard that Billy Donovan is a non-starter for Kentucky. They would have to wait too long. Too much uncertainty and hurting yourself on next year's roster. Way I was told it, the whole thing is a non-starter.

** Scott Drew was offered the head coaching position at Kentucky around 7 p.m. last night. If you read any reports that say he is uncertain about the job think again. Drew is on board with Kentucky. Can confirm that it is indeed about making sure his wife and kids are comfortable in Kentucky. They are very religious and one person I spoke with said it was basically like "it's not up to me" coming from Drew. Just some reluctance to leave a place where they are so entrenched and established, nothing big picture concerning about Kentucky.

** Did not get any indication on which way the Drew family is learning so the information is from before the conclusion of their trip.

** Drew's wife and kids flew into Lexington and spent the day in town today. That is what was happening with the flights.

** I was told that as has been alluded to, Drew and Barnhart are similar. But it was told to me they are VERY alike. Rare to find two people as similar to one another on a personal level.

** Didn't hear anything on Hurley but my guess is that is unlikely to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.