ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Butler

People spent years on this board talking about modern offense, can the recruits shoot, railing on Sahvir Wheeler for not shooting the 3 well. Then we add this guy and suddenly people look the other way. No one is denying he's a great pick up. But it should be as a bench guy who can come in and lock-down the other team's best scorer. If he starts it limits our offense. Because you have one less position who can shoot the 3. If that makes me a miserable SOB, Sour puss, POS, Bastard, so be it. Just the way I see it.
Yeah I don’t know how all of a sudden people don’t care about a guy being brick layer. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Very good defender though.

Omfg some of our fans lol

How do you think you stop scoring teams that shoot well?. Get dudes like this, that's how.

So people don't improve offensively and offense, specifically shooting is all that matters in basketball today. Good to know.

Could've swore we lost a bunch of games last year because our defense sucked.

Last edited:
Phenomenal pickup. This is a player who can make game winning plays against physical competition and on the road in conference play. We’ll see if he’s a starter or not, but you’ve got to applaud pope for getting the staff together and making this happen.

• Love
Reactions: Fox2monk
Popes said his goal was to have UK shoot (and make) the most 3 pointers in the country, his offense shoots more 3s than 2s, and he’s huge on aggressive tempo. Now people are freaking out because one of the guards were getting is an elite defender. 😂 this board is amazing
This isn't accurate. He said his team shot the second most threes last season, "but at Kentucky we don't finish second to anyone." I took it more as a metaphor than a statistical prognostication. The season before they shot the 82nd most 3s in CBB. The year before they were 137th.

As for "aggressive tempo," in the last three seasons they were 109th, 51st, and 111th in possessions per game. Last year 93rd in tempo (can't find previous seasons).

I think fans expecting to play the fastest tempo, shoot the most threes, score the highest, etc. should temper those expectations. I get the sense Pope adapts his style of play to the team he puts together. Next year we'll have two players that ended up being DPOY in their conference. That alone tells me the identity may be more a defensive one than people seem to be expecting.

Reactions: dl51344
I don’t think people are gonna like this but the other PG might be Hawkins from Minnesota he is visiting next week

Awesome! Welcome aboard Lamont Butler!

9ba21070-d103-11ed-becf-23581bc6e28b

San Diego State isn't exactly known for having guys spray it. Look at Keshad Johnson - career 25% over 4 years on low volume - shoots 38% on 2.5 attempts at Arizona this year. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Butler shoots noticeably better in the new system.

A good defender who has contributed to winning teams. We could do much worse
This can't be ignored. SDSU basically plays like Virginia on offense. Everyone's numbers are suppressed in that offense.

Reactions: catsfan325
He's a defensive stud. Wanted him on the roster the moment I saw he entered the portal.

Coaching staff is doing work. Anyone sh*tting on this pick-up doesn't know ball.
Seems like all the experts on the board have already decided he's not worthy to be a Cat. I think time will make alot of them look foolish.
Guess I don't understand how posters on the forum can be so decisive on a player(s) before he's given a chance.

The guy was the starting PG on the national runner up from last year and fans are poo-pooing his commitment?

I’m just really excited that we won’t look at our roster and see Fr, Fr, Fr, Fr, Fr anymore.
If he was a starter there I couldn't imagine him coming here thinking he is a bench player. Unless it was just money, this guy was promised a lot of playing time...

What does the staff see in this kid? Depth?
Perhaps they see that he played for Silver's AAU team, same team and coach that Mahaney played for, it might be a package deal, and that might be why all of the coaches hopped on a plane and flew out to talk with the kid's parents this morning right before Mahaney was due on campus. Patience.....

This guy lead SDSU to Championship game in 2023 and you say why get him. What??

Guy is a really good defender, tough and can go both left and right to the rim. Maybe you all want to have DJ go left all year again not sure.

Proven winner and look at the number of wins SDSU has had over the past few years while he has been running the show. Might not be Jeremy Roach, oh wait did Roach lead Duke to Championship game?

You POPE haters are just freakin stupid. Did not like the hire, do not like the staff, do not like the players he is getting in the portal. Fine then hate him all summer and fall and then lets see what product he puts on the floor. I bet it will be much better that what we have seen from CAL the past 5 years.

This dude isn’t coming to be on the bench . He’s the starting pg . Add 3 great shooters to go with him and Amari and we’re a great team

Reactions: dl51344
Considered the best on ball defender in college basketball. He’s better than an okay defender he is an elite defender. Hit the game winning shot in the final 4 to advance SDSU to the championship game. He’s a winner.

Butler's offensive numbers don't jump off the page at you BUT
As a starter he is 91-27 (77.1%) over the last 3-years,​
His SDST lost in the NCAA the last 2-years to a team called UCONN and had 7-pts/ 6-ast this year and 13-pts/ 4-reb in last year's loss versus the 2-time champs.​
He's not a star but he is a possible piece towards future success. 🤞🤞🤞

Reactions: tomrain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT