ADVERTISEMENT

KY HS BBALL - Wayne County - Coach Rodney Woods Fired

DaytonKat

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 10, 2007
SWFL
In a move that reeks of a personal vendetta, the new Wayne Co. Schools Superintendent terminated popular Head Basketball Coach Rodney Woods. Anyone there on the ground in Wayne Co. with more insight and an update?

Someone told me they saw on social media that Wayne Co is 2-9 since their last Sweet 16 appearance back around 2014 or 2015. Sounds like it could have been performance based. I mean people want Cal fired for the same things.

Someone told me they saw on social media that Wayne Co is 2-9 since their last Sweet 16 appearance back around 2014 or 2015. Sounds like it could have been performance based. I mean people want Cal fired for the same things.
Don't know, they win district titles and are a consistent threat for 12th region titles. I'm sure several other schools in the 12th would take those results.

Reactions: DaytonKat
That district down there isn't a murders row of teams though and 2-9 doesn't sound like much of a threat. But hey I don't really care one way or another. I would like to hear the schools side before jumping to judgement based on just his side of the story.

Reactions: delk4three
Oh I agree but still a title is a title. 45th ànd 47th are the toughest.
I guess that is the problem with building a powerhouse program, winning regional titles and going to the state tournament....you have to keep it up or the natives can get restless.

That district down there isn't a murders row of teams though and 2-9 doesn't sound like much of a threat. But hey I don't really care one way or another. I would like to hear the schools side before jumping to judgement based on just his side of the story.
The Superintendent has declined to comment and has refused to meet with parents and players. Here's the subsequent statement from the School:

“Wayne County Schools has made the decision to go in a new direction with some of their athletic programs. At the beginning of this school year, Superintendent Don Neal and the Board of Education gave all the coaches in the athletic department raises, in an attempt to be more equitable towards the many sports programs at Wayne County Schools.”

Wayne County Schools

Don't know, they win district titles and are a consistent threat for 12th region titles. I'm sure several other schools in the 12th would take those results.
Thinking they won a district title this year, is that correct? Believe 11 of the 12 players are set to return for the 24-25 season, with 10 of those 11 having 2 or more years (sophomores or younger).

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
I guess that is the problem with building a powerhouse program, winning regional titles and going to the state tournament....you have to keep it up or the natives can get restless.
I doubt the natives were restless. Unless I'm missing something, he was a well respected member in the community and likewise a respected coach. Not sure why he was terminated but for as long as he had been at Wayne and with the results he had, he probably deserved to go out on his terms with a farewell season.
Oh well,kinda shocked

Reactions: KYExtemper
I doubt the natives were restless. Unless I'm missing something, he was a well respected member in the community and likewise a respected coach. Not sure why he was terminated but for as long as he had been at Wayne and with the results he had, he probably deserved to go out on his terms with a farewell season.
Oh well,kinda shocked
Yeah I was shocked too but it seems like from all the reports on the news it's only his story and there are always 2 sides to every story. He did seem to be liked and for all that time probably deserved to go out on his own but like we have saw with Cal it's not always about the past.

Thinking they won a district title this year, is that correct? Believe 11 of the 12 players are set to return for the 24-25 season, with 10 of those 11 having 2 or more years (sophomores or younger).

Yes, won 48th with a very young squad. Got beat by Danville Christian in 12th region opening round. Actually had 2nd or 3rd best record in 12th region.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Yeah I was shocked too but it seems like from all the reports on the news it's only his story and there are always 2 sides to every story. He did seem to be liked and for all that time probably deserved to go out on his own but like we have saw with Cal it's not always about the past.
I agree, always 2 sides to the story but one side won't comment or give a reason why and That's probably what's got citizen's in an uproar in Wayne.

Oh well,kinda shocked

Based on reading comments from locals, including parents, players, a former state rep, etc., I'm in agreement with you in re to the "natives can get restless" comment above.

That being said, my take from activity on social media is that the natives have now become restless after the firing, i.e., toward the new Superintendent and the three school board members who blocked the promotion of the then Asst. Superintendent last August so that they could nominate and vote their guy in on a vote of 3-2.

Based on reading comments from locals, including parents, players, a former state rep, etc., I'm in agreement with you in re to the "natives can get restless" comment above.

That being said, my take from activity on social media is that the natives have now become restless after the firing, i.e., toward the new Superintendent and the three school board members who blocked the promotion of the then Asst. Superintendent last August so that they could nominate and vote their guy in on a vote of 3-2.
Yeah it sounds like nothing more than local politics and a grudge. That type of bullshit goes on all the time and I'd say this time it could backfire òn those who are involved.

Yeah it sounds like nothing more than local politics and a grudge. That type of bullshit goes on all the time and I'd say this time it could backfire òn those who are involved.
I guess the school board could be voted out but the superintendent would have to be fired by the ones who just voted him in which doesn't seem likely.

I guess the school board could be voted out but I don't see this being something for a superintendent to be fired over. He would have to be fired by the ones who just voted him in which doesn't seem likely.
That take makes sense to me, i.e., they'd need to remove the three school board members who put their man in the position by a 3-2 vote at the start of the 23-24 school year.

Reactions: Catfan2226
Heard maybe had something to do with the wife holding a grudge idk.
From the lex18.com article:

Woods said he was relieved of his duties by the new Wayne County superintendent yesterday, and he believes this is personal. He said his wife was on a screening committee that declined to recommend Don Neal as a superintendent candidate about ten years ago.

"Mr. Neal's name was not sent to the board of education. The committee didn't feel like he deserved to be. My wife was on that committee, so, she and I have probably known this was coming for a long time," Woods said.

Don Neal was ultimately voted in last summer. His nomination drew quite a reaction from the people at the board meeting. As seen in an archived video of the board meeting, several people in the crowd raised their voices when a board member nominated Neal.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
I guess the school board could be voted out but the superintendent would have to be fired by the ones who just voted him in which doesn't seem likely.
Well if it is nothing more than a grudge then there are several avenues of removal of the board and superintendent but it just seems like to me it's nothing but a mess all around. Pathetic that people act like this and can convince others to join their grudge.

Well if it is nothing more than a grudge then there are several avenues of removal of the board and superintendent but it just seems like to me it's nothing but a mess all around. Pathetic that people act like this and can convince others to join their grudge.
I mean to me it would be hard to prove it was done as a grudge but if their record is 2-9 in the region that could be justification for lack of performance leading to the dismissal I would think. I agree that it sounds like a mess. Someone needs to get boots on the ground and give us live updates as it sounds like Wayne Co is in turmoil. 😂

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

So I am confused she was the one holding the grudge? All the news stories have said it was the Superintendent.
According to the news, woods wife was on a screening committee 10 years ago that didn't recommend Mr.Neal for the superintendent job at that time

I mean to me it would be hard to prove it was done as a grudge but if their record is 2-9 in the region that could be justification for lack of performance leading to the dismissal I would think. I agree that it sounds like a mess. Someone needs to get boots on the ground and give us live updates as it sounds like Wayne Co is in turmoil. 😂
Can you share how the 2-9 record in the Region should be taken? Does that mean they were 2-9 in Regional play during a set period of time?

When I look up their 23-24 schedule results, it shows that they were 8-0 in District play, and 14-4 in Region 12 play.

I'd like to figure out how the 2-9 was calculated? Is it that they've won Region 12 twice in the last 11 years, i.e., made it to the Sweet 16 as the Region 12 winner two of the last 11 years?

Can you share how the 2-9 record in the Region should be taken? Does that mean they were 2-9 in the Regional play during a set period of time?

When I look up their 23-24 schedule results, it shows that they were 8-0 in District play, and 14-4 in Region 12.

I'd like to figure out how the 2-9 was calculated? Is it that they've won Region 12 twice in the last 11 years, i.e., made it to the Sweet 16 as the Region 12 winner two of the last 11 years?
In my earlier post I said that someone told me they were 2-9 in the region (tournament) since their last Sweet 16 appearance back in the 2015 range. (I'm not exactly sure the last time they were there) So I would assume that they get to the region but then lose the first game other than a couple of times thus the 2 wins. I have not verified these stats and do not know how accurate they are.

Can you share how the 2-9 record in the Region should be taken? Does that mean they were 2-9 in Regional play during a set period of time?

When I look up their 23-24 schedule results, it shows that they were 8-0 in District play, and 14-4 in Region 12 play.

That has to be what it is..2-9 in 12th region tourney play.
If so, lots of schools would even be happy just to make the region tourney every season.

Reactions: KYExtemper
That has to be what it is..2-9 in 12th region tourney play.
If so, lots of schools would even be happy just to make the region tourney every season.
I just reviewed 2012/13 forward, i.e., the last 11 seasons. They've been to the Sweet 16 twice in the last 11 years, i.e., won Region 12. They've won District 48 Championships numerous times in those same 11 years (I lost count, but like 8 or so).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT