ADVERTISEMENT

KSR comment on deep ball accuracy in open practice

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
A quick mention about deep ball stated that accuracy was 'inconsistent'. TBH, I don't really care. Seems we fell in love with throwing the bomb the past few years and it was, for the most part, a wasted play. Here and there we'd hit one but I'd guess we connected on <20% of those types of throws. I'd MUCH prefer seeing WRs and TEs hit in stride in the seam or in space and go for YAC rather than airing it out several times a game with very limited success. Yes, I know you have to threaten a defense with a long throw every now and then to keep them honest. But, imo, we were not very effective in the long game and tried it way too often. Are you threatening the defense by very rarely connecting on a long throw more than not throwing long except once in a blue moon? I don't know. But, I'd much rather be very effective in the midrange passing game to entice safeties to creep up and then throw over them maybe 3 or 4 times a game. I may be exaggerating, but it seemed like Coen called 6+ long throws every game and it just wasn't effective for the most part.

^ Which situation do you think has the highest chance of completing deep: 1 & 10, 2 & 10, 3 & 10, or 3 & 5?

^ Which situation do you think has the highest chance of completing deep: 1 & 10, 2 & 10, 3 & 10, or 3 & 5?
I would think 1st and 10 and 3rd and short would be about equal. However, very few coaches throw a lot bombs on 3rd and short. Instead, they try to make the 1st down rather than a low percentage big play. I'm sure I'm exaggerating a bit, but as the other poster above stated, I, too, remember many times when we had a manageable 3rd and distance situation and opted for a long pass, which Leary was plainly not very good throwing. And, to your question, if 3rd and 5 has the highest chance but, as we saw last year, the 'highest' chance was only 20%, wouldn't it be smarter to try to pick up the 1st down instead of going for a HR? With our receiving corps, I feel we'd be better off getting the ball into their hands with room to run vs trying to blow past the deep coverage and complete a long throw. JMHO

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
Brock throws alot of wobblers.....and I don't see a cannon of an arm....Barion is our deep threat and we'll have to see if his ball skills have improved on deep shots....I'd be fine canning the deep stuff a bit.

I like Barion a ton more on post deep routes vs. sideline deep balls.....he tends to track those much better than deep balls.

Ideally you'd try a shot play on a 2nd and 2 or 3. Or maybe when you get a penalty and make it 1st and 5 etc.
Another good opportunity is after sudden change like a turnover.
Seems Liam corn called them like I do in NCAA except Barion has a lot better sideline deep skills in the game than he does in real life.

Barion could be/ should be a absolute menace on some middle crossers against the LB unit of almost every team out there but somehow the OC that makes millions of dollars keeps trying stuff that wasn't working and never attempting the obvious.

Reactions: gamecockcat
ThI whole world is immersed in analytics and I’m sure UK coaches are too.

On 3rd and 5 the numbers say run the ball and then run it on 4th and short. The numbers say you should almost never punt but that shows how risk averse football coaches are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT