ADVERTISEMENT

Khalifa

It’s all talk and hype at this point this hire. UK fans gut reaction is usually the right one. Today is been like foreign propaganda trying to convince us we were wrong last night.

Saw him in tourney...big and slow...will be eaten alive in conference...JMHO

He’s super slow… like… pulling a train slow, but he can really pass and seemed to anchor the BYU offense.
This guy was awful when I watched and really struggled at/around the rim. The SEC isn't a great fit for him to be anything other than a spot player. I understand wanting to bring some guys with you but this is one thing I'll disagree with the new HC and hope to be wrong about.

His nickname is the Egyptian Jokic. He is a homeless man's Jokic. He was at Charlotte for 2 years before BYU.

Edit: He is a fabulous passer and prefers the Egyptian Magician

This guy was awful when I watched and really struggled at/around the rim. The SEC isn't a great fit for him to be anything other than a spot player. I understand wanting to bring some guys with you but this is one thing I'll disagree with the new HC and hope to be wrong about.
Someone below you comparing him to Burns.People are on a new coach high and anyone not thrilled with certain decisions are haters.

It’s all talk and hype at this point this hire. UK fans gut reaction is usually the right one. Today is been like foreign propaganda trying to convince us we were wrong last night.
For real. This dude averaged 5 and 3 while shooting 38% from the field and 31% from 3. He is a good passer

I saw someone say Burns was slow and carried his team to the Final 4. There is a huge gulf between Burns and this guy.

Reactions: bookerfan66
Someone below you comparing him to Burns.People are on a new coach high and anyone not thrilled with certain decisions are haters.
I don't give a **** what other people think of my comments. Like them nor not, call me a hater, I've watched the guy play. I love idea of bringing in Jaxson Robinson, Dallin Hall, and Collin Chandler with Pope-those are the 3 I think could fit a role and transfer to the SEC. So does that make me "better"? Those are BYU players/recruit who went on a Mormon Mission. A sloth who can't defend the rim and score at the rim in the SEC are 1 trick players. You hug them outside. He also saw his 3pt numbers go down the crapper going into the Big XII opposed to lower level. He's not in shape. He killed any chance/momentum they had in the NCAA loss to Duquesne.

This is Kentucky where Pope is working. He's got over 2000 options available via the Portal and talk of the "system" is cute. It's ****ing basketball. You can find more talented people to do what this guy does--specifically at UK and with the NIL $ coming in now that Cal's gone.

I don't give a **** what other people think of my comments. Like them nor not, call me a hater, I've watched the guy play. I love idea of bringing in Jaxson Robinson, Dallin Hall, and Collin Chandler with Pope-those are the 3 I think could fit a role and transfer to the SEC. So does that make me "better"? Those are BYU players/recruit who went on a Mormon Mission. A sloth who can't defend the rim and score at the rim in the SEC are 1 trick players. You hug them outside. He also saw his 3pt numbers go down the crapper going into the Big XII opposed to lower level. He's not in shape. He killed any chance/momentum they had in the NCAA loss to Duquesne.

This is Kentucky where Pope is working. He's got over 2000 options available via the Portal and talk of the "system" is cute. It's ****ing basketball. You can find more talented people to do what this guy does--specifically at UK and with the NIL $ coming in now that Cal's gone.
Agreed. Khalifa is an offensive wizard who averaged 5 points a game. I saw Kyle Tucker blowing him up earlier, and I understand Khalifa would probably be fun to cover (chubby 6'11 egyptian whose best skill is passing) but he's a novelty act. Use his spot for someone who can actually protect the paint and compete against high end athletes. I'm sure there's a few of those out there with some ball skills too.

This is one thing that concerned me. That we would take BYU players with the assumption they can play in the SEC. This guy could not.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
It will all work out, we got 13 scholarships and I'm sure Pope will fill them.
Khalifa will add depth to the bench if nothing else. Give us a few minutes and 5 fouls.

There are probably going to be some guys on the first squad that are not SEC quality. I haven’t watched this guy play, but sounds like he fits the system at least.

He is ranked the 10th best transfer because of his unique skill set. Said our fans would really like him with the way he plays. A highly efficient player.

Reactions: catzcan
He is ranked the 10th best transfer because of his unique skill set. Said our fans would really like him with the way he plays. A highly efficient player.
Except he’s not a highly efficient player. His numbers bear that out. But he is a good passer. If he’s coming to back up Z and play 15 minutes a game, cool. Any role other than that and i feel there much better options in the portal.

Agreed. Khalifa is an offensive wizard who averaged 5 points a game. I saw Kyle Tucker blowing him up earlier, and I understand Khalifa would probably be fun to cover (chubby 6'11 egyptian whose best skill is passing) but he's a novelty act. Use his spot for someone who can actually protect the paint and compete against high end athletes. I'm sure there's a few of those out there with some ball skills too.
Get someone who has his skill set who can do other things too. Sometimes these media guys act like you have to be some fat guy who passes well to be coveted. Why not see what "Chubbs" from Teen Wolf is up to-he's stocky and plays his role well. Always showed up with a big bucket/pass at the right time for Scott Howard or the Wolf.

Not going to be censored from sharing a take/opinion because everyone is high on the new coach factor. I like how Pope plays basketball. Think he can do a good job but the "system" crap is just that. You don't need guys to teach a system to the players--your coaches get access with the team from June-Season. They've all played basketball and you can recruit to your system too. The mass amount of options out there should be exciting to go get. I don't need Khalifa types-he can stay at BYU and go be All Big 12 or All Big 12 "Skill Team" and get orally washed by Fran Fraschilla each game. To me the honeymoon period is over. He got the job and everyone is on board. He gets Jaxson Robinson, Collin Chandler and possibly Hall but at least the initial 2--great start. I see them transferring to SEC smoothly. Khalifa is a spot player who everyone "loves" because Pope is being well received and then we start going Basketball "nerd" to defend him. Just look deeper than what you see--

As a Laker fan, I loved the makeup of the frontcourt around AD when he first got there--JaVale McGee and Dwight Howard. They allowed AD to rest up at PF during year a lot and in bigger games, he could rest and play PF while coming to 4th Quarter to play 5 spot with fresh legs. They were athletic/physical and it worked to get a #1 seed/NBA World Championship. So what do they do for an encore? Get the fat/skilled big who can't rim protect and was washed up and old--Marc Gasol. Every fan who was critical "didn't see it"--and "You have to see it-the skill" and Lakers have been dog**** at the 5 spot since and Davis wore down/got injured and in Play In games after the "Great Skill" couldn't defend/protect the rim or score at the rim. It was awful.

Blending Analytics with basketball mindset is great. Using just one is putting yourself in danger and living and dying by analytics that lean towards sloths who can't defend is a death sentence.

I just watched the BYU upset of Baylor. Khalifa got abused on defense. Made a huge difference on offense, but kept getting pummeled towards the net, couldn't get set, and Baylor just kept going over top of him. If we get him, we might be able to hide him some with zone and help, but that's not ideal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT