ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Derby 2023

Ollie

Senior
Jun 18, 2001
Anyone got their picks ready yet?

Any talk on backside of a horse that everyone likes?

I keep hearing Skinner.

You are able to buy the DRF past performances if you want a few days to look them over. I got them yesterday.

You are able to buy the DRF past performances if you want a few days to look them over. I got them yesterday.

Now available on Twinspires. Thanks

Personally, I like Derma Sotograde, but also think Verifying ran a hell of a race in the BG Stakes. Several of my friends are meeting on Sat Am to bet a large Super combo, last years $1 Super paid a mere $321,000. 🤣 🤣

It seems like a really wide open race, in the ML, only three horses are less than 10-1, so you can get a great price on nearly any you want. That being said, I definitely want Forte somewhere in my Super combinations, just maybe not on top.

Last edited:
I def would like to see the Japanese horse win b/c international racing has come so far in the last few years and i think a win at the derby would finally give it the attention it deserves!

Saw the beyer speed figures yesterday interesting that forte ranks 6th.

I def would like to see the Japanese horse win b/c international racing has come so far in the last few years and i think a win at the derby would finally give it the attention it deserves!

Saw the beyer speed figures yesterday interesting that forte ranks 6th.
I've been waiting for an international winner but I was thinking it would be the Saudis. Japanese racing seems to have really taken off.

Said on the news tonight that 20 horses in the field are decendants of Secretariat. I'm not a huge horse guy but I love Derby time. I'll throw some money in Twin Spires and hope to get lucky.

Reactions: bigbluedon
I usually bust bout 50 bucks all to hell hoping to hit something. It's definitely worth it.

Was worried about Derma Sotograde and PP 17 (the only PP that has never produced a winner), so I did a little research. Since 2010, PP 15, 16 and 18-20 have all had Derby winners. OTOH, PP 14 has only had 2 winners in 66 starts, the last over 60 years ago in 1961. So are you going to throw out Angel of Empire, who is the current 3rd choice in ML?

Was worried about Derma Sotograde and PP 17 (the only PP that has never produced a winner), so I did a little research. Since 2010, PP 15, 16 and 18-20 have all had Derby winners. OTOH, PP 14 has only had 2 winners in 66 starts, the last over 60 years ago in 1961. So are you going to throw out Angel of Empire, who is the current 3rd choice in ML?
It's not as big a deal as it used to be. Churchill got a starting gate a couple years ago that holds 20 horses so they don't have to use 2 anymore and there is no gap.

Reactions: Tskware
Seeing a horse break down is one of the worst things you can see in sports. But to not let them race would be worse, and essentially lead to the extinction of thoroughbred horses within about 30 years, because there would be no reason to breed them.

Having been around the industry since my teens, I have seen my share of catastrophic injuries....to horse and human, but it is part of the "sport". We watch boxing, MMA, and now slap fighting, without so much as a whimper when we witness someone's brain being knocked sideways, but horse racing always draws the scrutiny, fair or not.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
Said on the news tonight that 20 horses in the field are decendants of Secretariat. I'm not a huge horse guy but I love Derby time. I'll throw some money in Twin Spires and hope to get lucky.

Speaking of “Big Red”! This happened 50 years ago today. Ran the fastest derby ever, and the record still stands today. Still holds the record for fastest in the other two legs of the triple crown as well. Amazing!

Speaking of “Big Red”! This happened 50 years ago today. Ran the fastest derby ever, and the record still stands today. Still holds the record for fastest in the other two legs of the triple crown as well. Amazing!

Amazing horse! My Moms side of the Family was huge into the races and I heard all the stories. When I watched Secretariats running of the Belmont some years ago, I was moved to tears but they were tears of happiness. "He's moving like a tremendous machine!" gives me serious goosebumps every single time.

I'm through to the last leg of the Pick 4 only 2 legs in. Come on longest shot on the board in leg 3!!! Then the 5 in the last leg.

I think I'm going Rocket Can, Skinner, Cyclone Mischief, Mage, Tapit Trice. Probably box them and across the board with Rocket Can.

Learning the horses’ names for the first time right now. Glad Kentucky gets all of this attention, but racing is not anything I care about.

Having been around the industry since my teens, I have seen my share of catastrophic injuries....to horse and human, but it is part of the "sport". We watch boxing, MMA, and now slap fighting, without so much as a whimper when we witness someone's brain being knocked sideways, but horse racing always draws the scrutiny, fair or not.
I agree, it’s easier to humanize animals than people sometimes. In my personal experience, I once saw a horse fall into the old wooden rail, get speared by said rail, and be euthanized on track. I’ve been done with it since.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT