ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Announces Non-Conference Schedule

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
F4T5qxJbMAAEZy1

I hope so, but I could see 9-3 or 10-2

9-3 would douse a lot of excitement very quickly.

9-3 going into SEC play would mean we lost to Kansas, UNC, and Miami at home.

I just really do not see that happening.

Think we're clearly better than UNC and Miami heading into the season, and one of them is at home.

10-2 would be the lowest I could see, and I don't think we lose to the Zags in Feb at home either so 11-2 in non-conf is the lowest I see happening.

But I think Kansas is our only loss, but even that I am not sure about because I think KU is incredibly overrated going into the year.

Kansas lost almost everyone, and filled the roster with some low-major dudes and a big 5 man who can't play defense and couldn't get his team to the NCAA tournament last year with 2 first-round picks playing along side him.

So I'll predict 12-1, but I think 13-0 is more likely than 9-3 IMO.

Think we're clearly better than UNC and Miami heading into the season, and one of them is at home.

10-2 would be the lowest I could see, and I don't think we lose to the Zags in Feb at home either so 11-2 in non-conf is the lowest I see happening.

But I think Kansas is our only loss, but even that I am not sure about because I think KU is incredibly overrated going into the year.

Kansas lost almost everyone, and filled the roster with some low-major dudes and a big 5 man who can't play defense and couldn't get his team to the NCAA tournament last year with 2 first-round picks playing along side him.

Yeah, that's what I meant by 9-3 dousing excitment. It would mean we've lost most of our "big" games. The mood would sour quick on "can't win the big ones" which is what we've sadly seen over the last three years.

Gotta beat Kansas and one of Miami/UNC. Have to, to change the narrative.

Not a bad schedule. Hopefully, as others have said, we can roll into conference play with one loss, two at most, and sitting in the top 10. I think we beat Gonzaga in February at home.

I thought we were supposed to be playing Michigan this year…?? Did something happen there or am I mistaken?

Not a bad schedule. Hopefully, as others have said, we can roll into conference play with one loss, two at most, and sitting in the top 10. I think we beat Gonzaga in February at home.

I thought we were supposed to be playing Michigan this year…?? Did something happen there or am I mistaken?

Michigan backed out.

We also had Notre Dame on the schedule, they also backed out.

Reactions: jmw23712
We will take some lumps, but I think it will mainly be in the SEC.

I’ll predict we only lose 1 or 2 out of conference, but drop 6-7 in conference.

I feel like the physicality of the SEC will give our frontline fits. Hope I’m wrong.

I’ll say 9-10 losses overall and an Elite Eight run.

I picked 11-2 in another thread. Now that I look at it, I can conceivably see us going 12-1.

12-0 going in to SEC play with a big win pulling away late from Kansas.

Nation is on notice.

Tough SEC will cost us 3-4 games. Gonzaga is no match for us at home.

I predict a really good season this year. Elite 8 or higher finish

Fair warning - I predicted a really good season last year too...

Reactions: jmw23712
12-0 going in to SEC play with a big win pulling away late from Kansas.

Nation is on notice.

Tough SEC will cost us 3-4 games. Gonzaga is no match for us at home.

I predict a really good season this year. Elite 8 or higher finish

Fair warning - I predicted a really good season last year too...
Last two years we got kinda robbed- injuries and Cal stall ball two seasons ago.

This year was drama I think. Which of course falls back on, le head coach.

Maytbe third time is the charm.

That’s a good schedule. The tough teams that are on there, are beatable with the right gameplan.

Cal needs to do everything possible to win that Kansas game. They are starting over with a new team too, but we have more talent. There is no reason he can’t win that game. It’s time to take our manhood back.

But either way, he can't be laying any 'Evansville' eggs either.

Also, this team should not be losing games in Rupp, that needs to be a priority this year.

I don't see us losing to uNC, it would really suck if we did.

So to me, we should be 13-0 in the non-conference. No excuses.

That’s a good schedule. The tough teams that are on there, are beatable with the right gameplan.

Cal needs to do everything possible to win that Kansas game. They are starting over with a new team too, but we have more talent. There is no reason he can’t win that game. It’s time to take our manhood back.

But either way, he can't be laying any 'Evansville' eggs either.

Also, this team should not be losing games in Rupp, that needs to be a priority this year.

I don't see us losing to uNC, it would really suck if we did.

So to me, we should be 13-0 in the non-conference. No excuses.
Must win KU and one of the UNC/Miami games to get good momentum going. Can't have a losing record in our big games this year

UK in Philly baby!!!!!!

That’s gonna be a big game for national publicity and recruiting. Hometown of Justin Edwards. Wagner and Bradshaw from across the river. Those high schools have tons of fans who will pack the place.

Also close to home for Billy Richmond and Jahlil Bethea, two top recruits.

They’re already talking about it here in Philly. With Villanova being a bit down, this may be the biggest college game in town this year.

Ticket info here (on sale Sept.7)

Just can't see us going 12-1. Miami, Kansas, and Gonzaga are losable games. Not to mention Cal has a tendency to lose to teams like Richmond, evansville, etc the last 3-4 years. Cant afford to win against Kansas and then lose to Marshall a few weeks later.

Miami too
Yeah, Jim Larranaga is still a very good coach, and his guards are always good & real quick, and they have depth. Jim was the coach who led George Mason’s Final Four run (in 2006), and Jim was a long-time assistant at Virginia, including during the Ralph Sampson years (back when the ACC was stacked with good coaches & players). Two years ago, in the tourney at halftime, Miami was up 6 on eventual champ KU…till KU woke up and went on a ridiculous 47-15 run (best half of the season). Anyway, I’ve seen Larranaga coach some great games with good talent. Miami was just in the Final Four (2023), and Miami has finished in the top-4 of the ACC in six of Larranaga’s 12 seasons there, so it’ll be a good test for UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: GG24 and Fox2monk
Yeah it’s not just 4 ranked teams and 8 cupcakes this year. Quite a few decent games this year; Marshall, St. Joseph’s, Miami etc. will all be decent games.

Yeah it’s not just 4 ranked teams and 8 cupcakes this year. Quite a few decent games this year; Marshall, St. Joseph’s, Miami etc. will all be decent games.
Miami will be a solid game. And we better not underestimate them.

They're not the "sexy" matchup we wanted, but that team just got done make UNC and Duke their lap dog and went to the FF.

Must win KU and one of the UNC/Miami games to get good momentum going. Can't have a losing record in our big games this year
We shouldn’t lose to UNC and losing non-conference games at Rupp Arena makes me want to vomit. We need both those.

I'd be fine with 1-2 surprise losses if we won all of the big ones. Hell, maybe even 3 surprises if it meant beating UNC, KU, UL, and GU. Assuming they were close losses and we had good reason to blame the refs, that is. :)

A solid schedule with decent possibilities for exciting, meaningful games and rèsume building. KU would be a great win but shouldn’t hurt us any if we lose. House money there. If we split Miami and UNC* we won’t be digging our way out of a hole the way we have had to do so much lately. We’ll get to tell our own story over the course of the season. If we drop both those games it will be the same ol’, same ol’ underachieving theme this season, with the same ol’, same ol’ wishful thinking telling ourselves it’s really still different this year.

But I feel pretty good about these kids getting over that hump this year. Go Cats. Make College Basketball Scared Again.

Yeah, Jim Larranaga is still a very good coach, and his guards are always good & real quick, and they have depth. Jim was the coach who led George Mason’s Final Four run (in 2006), and Jim was a long-time assistant at Virginia, including during the Ralph Sampson years (back when the ACC was stacked with good coaches & players). Two years ago, in the tourney at halftime, Miami was up 6 on eventual champ KU…till KU woke up and went on a ridiculous 47-15 run (best half of the season). Anyway, I’ve seen Larranaga coach some great games with good talent. Miami was just in the Final Four (2023), and Miami has finished in the top-4 of the ACC in six of Larranaga’s 12 seasons there, so it’ll be a good test for UK.
Larranaga was the coach at BGSU for my first 3 years I was a student there before he took off for GMU ahd Dakich replaced him. His last year at BG, they had a really good squad with Antonio Daniels (4th pick of the NBA draft), his son Jay (now a hot name in NBA coaching circles) and Anthony Stacey.

The mid to late 90’s was a really good time in the MAC with Daniels, Bonzi Wells, Earl Boykins, Derek Dial, Gary Trent and Wally Szczerbiak.

A solid schedule with decent possibilities for exciting, meaningful games and rèsume building. KU would be a great win but shouldn’t hurt us any if we lose. House money there. If we split Miami and UNC* we won’t be digging our way out of a hole the way we have had to do so much lately. We’ll get to tell our own story over the course of the season. If we drop both those games it will be the same ol’, same ol’ underachieving theme this season, with the same ol’, same ol’ wishful thinking telling ourselves it’s really still different this year.

But I feel pretty good about these kids getting over that hump this year. Go Cats. Make College Basketball Scared Again.
I never thought we would sink low enough that losing a game to anyone would be okay, because we're playing with house money, but sadly, that’s where we are as a program these days.

Reactions: BlueSince92
We will take some lumps, but I think it will mainly be in the SEC.

I’ll predict we only lose 1 or 2 out of conference, but drop 6-7 in conference.

I feel like the physicality of the SEC will give our frontline fits. Hope I’m wrong.

I’ll say 9-10 losses overall and an Elite Eight run.
If this is another double digit loss season, that will be VERY disappointing and I think the heat will become too unbearable for Cal.

This is not a 10 loss team and they have some alpha dogs who we haven't had in Lexington in years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT