ADVERTISEMENT

Kelvin Sampson

He’s one of the best coaches in the country, maybe flat out the best. But he’s getting up there in age. I would rather hire someone with more than 5 or 6 years left in the tank.
I get your point, but I wouldn’t mind taking an older coach for 4-5 years till one of these young guys prove they are capable of coaching at a blue blood. Sampson or Pearl have never won a national title so they would work their ass off to try to get it with the resources they would have here

I get your point, but I wouldn’t mind taking an older coach for 4-5 years till one of these young guys prove they are capable of coaching at a blue blood. Sampson or Pearl have never won a national title so they would work their ass off to try to get it with the resources they would have here
It’s a 10 year job max. Perfect for a guy like pearl or Sampson

I'm ready to try anyone but Cal. Seasons of 10+ losses and early tournament flameouts are not the standard here. Since Bitch Barnhart would never make a hire like that, fire his ass too!

Last edited:
The more times you change coaches the better chance you have of hiring the wrong guy. I'd rather not set us up for another coaching change so soon. Find a guy who will be here for the long haul.

Reactions: bIhawk
The more times you change coaches the better chance you have of hiring the wrong guy. I'd rather not set us up for another coaching change so soon. Find a guy who will be here for the long haul.
That’s a good point too. I see what you’re saying there. I just worry we will make a mistake. I hope we get a proven coach

Reactions: ukcatz12
That’s a good point too. I see what you’re saying there. I just worry we will make a mistake. I hope we get a proven coach
Oh I think we're definitely making a mistake with the next hire. It's time for Cal to go, but I realllllly don't trust Mitch to make the right hire here.

Agreed bring them in until they prove they don’t have it or call it quits. It would be nice not being on a strategy and fundamental hole every single year.

Reactions: chroix
Kelvin Sampson isn’t leaving Houston unless there’s a ridiculous bag involved, and the Houston donos can match most bags.

Tommy Lloyd is the guy, he’s relatively young, he’s been a 2 seed or better all 3 years as a head coach at an Arizona job that was supposed to be a rebuild, and Gonzaga has fallen off since he left to be a head coach.

TOMMY LLOYD, THIS ISNT ROCKET SCIENCE.

GIVE HIM ALL THE BAGS, WERE ALREADY PAYING 10 MILLION A YEAR TO BE HUMILIATED IN THE FIRSR WEEKEND CONSTANTLY.

Cal should step down for his own health at this point. This is about to get real toxic, like something you’ve never seen. A toxicity that if Indiana had, they wouldn’t be irrelevant right now.

Kelvin Sampson isn’t leaving Houston unless there’s a ridiculous bag involved, and the Houston donos can match most bags.

Tommy Lloyd is the guy, he’s relatively young, he’s been a 2 seed or better all 3 years as a head coach at an Arizona job that was supposed to be a rebuild, and Gonzaga has fallen off since he left to be a head coach.

GIVE HIM ALL THE BAGS, WERE ALREADY PAYING 10 MILLION A YEAR TO BE HUMILIATED IN THE FIRSR WEEKEND CONSTANTLY.

Cal should step down for his own health at this point. This is about to get real toxic, like something you’ve never seen. A toxicity that if Indiana had, they wouldn’t be irrelevant right now.
You’re clueless if you think Lloyd is the answer. He’s a west coast guy who has underachieved in the tourney. Samson or pearl either would come crawling to Lexington and either one would win a title

He turns 69 in Oct.
IU didn't go well for him so I can absolutely see him retiring at UH.
Age is a none issue right now. Uk is a 10 year job max. A guy like Samson or pearl could come to UK win a title and ride off into the sunset. Samson is very hungry and if they don’t get it done this year yeah you throw the kitchen sink at him. I’m cool with Hurley too but I want that hunger factor like cal had when he came. That alone will have in contention right away. And take your pick because this is the right time to find a replacement. Lots of potential out there. Older guy works in our favor because no long contracts, proven builders, no lifetime squatting contracts. 3-5 year deals at a time. A lot of hungry older guys.

He turns 69 in Oct.

Ego knows no age. Maybe he’s different but I’d assume he wants to prove he can do it at the highest level just like most driven successful people.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
He turns 69 in Oct.
I agree. He had his bite at the big-name apple with IU and got ground up.

Now he is at a school with decent (but not great) tradition, solid BB conference affiliation, good metro area with strong talent throughout a big state (Texas), where if he hangs a banner they will erect a statue in his honor.

He isn't going anywhere.

GBB!

That’s a good point. I certainly wouldn’t turn him down if he were up for leaving Houston.

Hurley would be my #1 choice as he’s only 51. That may not be realistic - a lot of folks don’t think he’ll leave UConn. He’s only been there 5 years and doesn’t seem to have any other ties other than being from the region (New Jersey).

Pearl would win big, but I just don’t like him. Same with Scott Drew, although I could get over it. I still like Musselman, the big gay love triangle seemed to have really F’ed up this season. There are quite a few coaches who would do well here, but not many are locks to have championship caliber teams regularly.

I don’t know. We have to get rid of Cal first.

I blanked on him while writing my last post, but I agree - Lloyd would be a fantastic hire.

Never see his name mentioned. He blew up IU but now is a different era and he knows how to coach college basketball
Sampson blew up IU by cheating. He got caught. Bruce Pearl on bacon. Anyone who wants Sampson is begging for a Cal replay. Hard no. We need a younger head coach with moxy and a grasp of the current state of the game.

That’s a good point. I certainly wouldn’t turn him down if he were up for leaving Houston.

Hurley would be my #1 choice as he’s only 51. That may not be realistic - a lot of folks don’t think he’ll leave UConn. He’s only been there 5 years and doesn’t seem to have any other ties other than being from the region (New Jersey).

Pearl would win big, but I just don’t like him. Same with Scott Drew, although I could get over it. I still like Musselman, the big gay love triangle seemed to have really F’ed up this season. There are quite a few coaches who would do well here, but not many are locks to have championship caliber teams regularly.

I don’t know. We have to get rid of Cal first.
What’s Hurley gonna do at 61? I think cal has proven UK to be a 10 year job. Now if a guy wins multiple titles it’s a different story but still 3-4 years of stale seasons even after multiple titles you have to make a move. Keeps fresh blood in there a coach that’s always hungry. This isn’t the job you look for a 20 year guy. At least not now. Things have to be turned around fast to save the program. In modern college basketball you can build a team overnight with a new coach. I would be happy with Hurley if he came in understanding he needs to win a title in his first 3-5 years. I do not want Scott drew. He is another tubby. He has it on cruise too

What’s Hurley gonna do at 61? I think cal has proven UK to be a 10 year job. Now if a guy wins multiple titles it’s a different story but still 3-4 years of stale seasons even after multiple titles you have to make a move. Keeps fresh blood in there a coach that’s always hungry. This isn’t the job you look for a 20 year guy. At least not now. Things have to be turned around fast to save the program. In modern college basketball you can build a team overnight with a new coach. I would be happy with Hurley if he came in understanding he needs to win a title in his first 3-5 years. I do not want Scott drew. He is another tubby. He has it on cruise too
Hurley is 51, he could coach until 60 and then enjoy retirement.

I blanked on him while writing my last post, but I agree - Lloyd would be a fantastic hire.
He’s the guy, we need to get him now before hes too attached to Arizona.

Who has a better per capita resume than this man in his 3 year coaching career?

We have to have the bulk of UK fans calling for Tommy Lloyd, because right now they’re calling for Bruce Pearl. Ridiculous.

Spread the word, we need Tommy Lloyd.

He’s the guy, we need to get him now before hes too attached to Arizona.

Who has a better per capita resume than this man in his 3 year coaching career?

We have to have the bulk of UK fans calling for Tommy Lloyd, because right now they’re calling for Bruce Pearl. Ridiculous.

Spread the word, we need Tommy Lloyd.
Has Lloyd been past the sweet sixteen? I rest my case

Has Lloyd been past the sweet sixteen? I rest my case
I don’t care, it was supposed to be a rebuild and he has a 1 seed and two 2 seeds, with the talent Kentucky can naturally draw, combined with him being the best coach in college basketball (Gonzaga has fallen off without him).

Tommy Lloyd is the future, steal him now, or live under his nuts forever.

Half the retafds here are calling to hire Bruce Pearl for **** sake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT