ADVERTISEMENT

Kayuane Ross and Jordan Bonner

TTU/UK fan

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2011
The 2 are going through Senior day ceremonies. Kind of bad news, as Jordan Bonner was Josh Allen's backup and was expected to return for his senior year. And Kayuane Ross's decision to walk is huge, considering UK is already losing his backup, Blake Bone, along with Juice and Charles Walker. Must mean they aren't very confident he will be able to get the extra year.

Both would be tough, but replaceable. As Dorian Baker will return next season and Josh Paschal or Boogie can take over for Allen.

I think Bonner is going through it as senior academically, but still has a year of eligibility to play next year. Will probably take the Matt Leinart, minimum class schedule for a year.

Reactions: cat888
The 2 are going through Senior day ceremonies. Kind of bad news, as Jordan Bonner was Josh Allen's backup and was expected to return for his senior year. And Kayuane Ross's decision to walk is huge, considering UK is already losing his backup, Blake Bone, along with Juice and Charles Walker. Must mean they aren't very confident he will be able to get the extra year.

Both would be tough, but replaceable. As Dorian Baker will return next season and Josh Paschal or Boogie can take over for Allen.
I suspect Josh Allen will be in his rightful place on our Dline next year. He has NFL talent, I just don't think the iron is hot yet. Needs another year of improvement.

Reactions: law1127 and catben
I suspect Josh Allen will be in his rightful place on our Dline next year. He has NFL talent, I just don't think the iron is hot yet. Needs another year of improvement.
There's been talk of him going in top 2 rounds? Was that just crazy?
When linebacker Josh Allen first committed to the University of Kentucky, he was a 2-star recruit out of Montclair, NJ. Now many NFL teams are grading him as a potential first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

https://twitter.com/DraftCampbell/status/916018882703486976
Charlie Campbell @DraftCampbell

ICYMI- Scouting sources tell me they see a late first-round potential for Kentucky LB Josh Allen. http://www.walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress

2:14 PM - Oct 5, 2017

Twitter Ads info and privacy

According to Charlie Campbell of WalterFootball.com, “"Sources from multiple teams say that the Wildcats' Josh Allen could end up being a first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft as well."

Allen had a solid sophomore season, collecting 62 tackles and 7 sacks while playing in all 13 games. This season, he is currently sitting at 4th in the nation with 5.5 sacks in just 5 games to go with his 31 tackles.

Scott Charlton @Scott_Charlton

Paschal brought the heat and Josh Allen cleans up with the sack.

8:48 PM - Sep 23, 2017

Campbell has heard Allen compared to Leonard Floyd of Georgia in terms of his ability to rush from the edge. However, many scouts also like that Allen can play inside linebacker as well.

Other NFL sources say he reminds them of Texas Titans linebacker Zach Cunningham in terms of his size and his ability to fly around the field.

Both of these comparisons must be flattering for Allen, who was considered by some to be project when he got to Lexington. But according to Campbell, even those that do not project Allen as a first-round pick have full confidence that he can work himself up the big board to end up there.

Jamie Boggs @jamiewboggs

Josh Allen with no chill. #ByeBye #BBN #SEC

10:11 PM - Sep 16, 2017

While Big Blue Nation will surely be happy for the Blitz Bro. if he earns his spot in the 2018 NFL Draft, are you ready to see him leave a year early?

IN THIS STORYSTREAM
Kentucky Wildcats Football vs Missouri Tigers 2017
VIEW ALL 19 STORIES
large_aseaofblue.com.minimal.png
More From A Sea Of Blue

Highly doubt Allen is getting 1st round grades, and more than likely not getting top 3 round grades across the board either.

Has struggled in run support, and also struggles with anything other than a speed rush. Not multidimensional enough yet.

Reactions: DACats86 and catben
After the way Allen got blocked so easily by the UGA O-Line, I would think that the NFL Scouts may be backing off those earlier projections.

He is a magnificent edge rusher, but he struggles BAD taking on blockers against the run.

It would be a huge mistake for Allen or any UK player with eligibility remaining to declare for the NFL. That is, unless their career ambition is in the pizza delivery service.

Bottomline...these small pieces that don't come back to UK are twofold:
1 It isn't like we are crazy talented (at least our results don't show it).
2. Losing guys a year early in Boom, Badet, Ramsey, etc...effected us in small ways. Having depth guys like Ross, Bonner leave and then Edwards/Allen/Conrad contemplate going NFL...UK could drop back to 3 win season.

We don't need our marginal talent being like the basketball team that can't stand to do 4 years.

Denzil Ware might disagree...
He might, but he would be making a mistake that he will regret the rest of his life. He's not ready, Allen's not ready, Edwards' not ready, Conrad's not ready - not an undergrad on that team is ready for the NFL. Other than scattered moments, I'm not sure how you could watch this team week to week this season and think that any player is ready. And, that doesn't mean they are bad players - that just means they need another year to get bigger and to get get better. This isn't basketball - it's not looked down upon for a player to spend 4 or even 5 years in college.

Scouts and family members will decide if these guys are ready to risk the draft. If scouts advise to leave early then I don't see how that can be categorized as a mistake in and of itself.

All will go through at least the preliminary parts of the process (I don't know about Conrad now with his surgery), because that's how well-run college programs do it for a variety of obvious reasons. Allen and Edwards probably get feedback that will give them things to think about. Ware and Jones have size issues that will persist into next season, so if they leave early (a mistake IMO) I think it'll be mostly based on their projections next season not improving compared to where they are now.

Scouts and family members will decide if these guys are ready to risk the draft. If scouts advise to leave early then I don't see how that can be categorized as a mistake in and of itself.

All will go through at least the preliminary parts of the process (I don't know about Conrad now with his surgery), because that's how well-run college programs do it for a variety of obvious reasons. Allen and Edwards probably get feedback that will give them things to think about. Ware and Jones have size issues that will persist into next season, so if they leave early (a mistake IMO) I think it'll be mostly based on their projections next season not improving compared to where they are now.
In the past, some of these kids had their mind made up before they even started their junior season. I'm all for going through the process, but also listening to and heeding the process. The process should involve the NFL evaluators and their coaches. Their families are the last persons they should listen to because (as they should be) they cannot be objective or un-biased.

Reactions: cat888 and catben
Highly doubt Allen is getting 1st round grades, and more than likely not getting top 3 round grades across the board either.

Has struggled in run support, and also struggles with anything other than a speed rush. Not multidimensional enough yet.
He was getting 1st round grades earlier in the year IIRC. Seems like I remember Rowland writing an article on it

In the past, some of these kids had their mind made up before they even started their junior season. I'm all for going through the process, but also listening to and heeding the process. The process should involve the NFL evaluators and their coaches. Their families are the last persons they should listen to because (as they should be) they cannot be objective or un-biased.

Sounds like we agree.

Reactions: DACats86
He was getting 1st round grades earlier in the year IIRC. Seems like I remember Rowland writing an article on it
One guy mentioned he was hearing it. Then they tried to attached Leonard Floyd to him for a comp, but Floyd is/was so much more complete.

He still puts Josh Allen at the 30th pick - but many other mocks don't even list him. You aren't a first rounder if many mocks don't have you as a 3-4th rounder.

We don't have any 1st rounders on our defense...you can watch and see it.

Reactions: law1127
One guy mentioned he was hearing it. Then they tried to attached Leonard Floyd to him for a comp, but Floyd is/was so much more complete.

He still puts Josh Allen at the 30th pick - but many other mocks don't even list him. You aren't a first rounder if many mocks don't have you as a 3-4th rounder.

We don't have any 1st rounders on our defense...you can watch and see it.
IMO, the problem with UK's players is not so much ability, but consistency. They will make an amazing play, then take two or three plays off. I think maturity and S&C will help in those areas.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
IMO, the problem with UK's players is not so much ability, but consistency. They will make an amazing play, then take two or three plays off. I think maturity and S&C will help in those areas.
Yeah, and I am not trying to knock any of our guys...but we’re talking about the NFL...and talking 1st round picks. That is elite. Elite don’t go through a game with you wondering if they have been playing.

Reactions: DACats86
Bottomline...these small pieces that don't come back to UK are twofold:
1 It isn't like we are crazy talented (at least our results don't show it).
2. Losing guys a year early in Boom, Badet, Ramsey, etc...effected us in small ways. Having depth guys like Ross, Bonner leave and then Edwards/Allen/Conrad contemplate going NFL...UK could drop back to 3 win season.

We don't need our marginal talent being like the basketball team that can't stand to do 4 years.
A.....effing....men!!

Kayuane is going to participate in senior day but he's expect to appeal for another year. He may be back.

This per the UK Athletics site:

2016 - Junior
  • Saw action in six games, missing the last five with injury
  • Made his first career catch with a nine-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter vs. Southern Miss.
  • Dean's List (Spring 2017)
  • SEC First-year Academic Honor Roll (2016-17)
Junior College
  • A three-star recruit out of high school
  • Caught 15 passes for 210 yards and two touchdowns in four games before injury sidelined him as a freshman at Phoenix College (Ariz.) in 2014
  • Redshirted the 2015 season
  • Will have three seasons of eligibility remaining.
So, in summary
2014 played at JuCO
2015 did not play, IE redshirt
2016 played at UK
2017 played at UK

What am I missing? If this record is correct, he has only played in three years and only used four of the 5 to play 5 years. Why then does UK list him as a senior for 2017?

Did he enroll somewhere in 2013? Play in 2015?

What am I missing?

Reactions: jauk11

2016 - Junior
  • Made his first career catch with a nine-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter vs. Southern Miss.
Junior College
  • Caught 15 passes for 210 yards and two touchdowns in four games before injury sidelined him as a freshman at Phoenix College (Ariz.) in 2014
So, in summary
2014 played at JuCO
2016 played at UK
2017 played at UK

What am I missing? If this record is correct, he has only played in three years and only used four of the 5 to play 5 years. Why then does UK list him as a senior for 2017?

What am I missing?
To further confuse things, he was listed as a sophomore last year everywhere I can remember seeing it. He went from sophomore to senior over the summer?

He might, but he would be making a mistake that he will regret the rest of his life. He's not ready, Allen's not ready, Edwards' not ready, Conrad's not ready - not an undergrad on that team is ready for the NFL. Other than scattered moments, I'm not sure how you could watch this team week to week this season and think that any player is ready. And, that doesn't mean they are bad players - that just means they need another year to get bigger and to get get better. This isn't basketball - it's not looked down upon for a player to spend 4 or even 5 years in college.
Didnt we just get run all over by a team with 2 stud SENIOR running backs?

I want what is best for the player and his family. I would hope they would listen to Coach Stoops and the scouts for the NFL, and NOT their family. To many families only see dollars, and not what's best for the player. If you don't make it in the NFL, what then, if no degree?

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

2016 - Junior
Junior College
So, in summary
2014 played at JuCO
2016 played at UK
2017 played at UK

What am I missing?
Formality. He can appeal to have the extra year but the appeal happens at the end of the season.

Ross apparently transferred junior colleges---which apparently required him to use his redshirt option on the year he spent at a junior college---making this his last year. I don't get it personally, but he has to win his appeal to come back. I really hope he gets its. I like him as a big wr. He seems to have great hands.

He did struggle against Georgia. We shall see, I would like him back another year
Josh Allen will be back next year. But not because of the Georgia game. In September, posters were talking about Allen, Ware, Edwards, Baity leaving after this season, but that has always been hype. The sources that suggested Allen might leave early were overlooking the obvious reasons that he won't. The Georgia game made them more obvious, but they have been there all along.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrschwump
Do we really believe the NCAA is going to rule in our favor? I don't. We're not named UNCheat or the University of Corey Maggette. Remember Jeremy Jarmon? They acted like they had no discretion. Remember the case this year with Braxton Beverly? The only reason he got ruled eligible was because of public pressure (even that didn't work against UNCheat). I'm not holding my breath.

If Allen is getting top 3 round grades, he's gone. The people in the NFL are paid big money to make these evaluations and do it for a living. Are they always right? no..but more often than not they can see the potential.

Of course any player can improve their game coming back another year, heck Watson for Clemson could've improved what he was as a college player..but he was ready for the NFL and did fine.

If Allen is getting top 3 round grades, he's gone. The people in the NFL are paid big money to make these evaluations and do it for a living. Are they always right? no..but more often than not they can see the potential.

Of course any player can improve their game coming back another year, heck Watson for Clemson could've improved what he was as a college player..but he was ready for the NFL and did fine.
The NFL doesn't draft on "potential" and Allen isn't ready (unlike Watson).

Reactions: mrschwump
Based on what, just because you say or do you have more info than I do? Because the common wisdom among scouts that are paid by NFL teams and have a better idea of what teams are looking for probably know more.

When it comes down to is and isn't ready by a personal opinion by a fan, its a very subjective opinion depending on the fan. I say he is ready and you say he is not...we can state our opinions up and down..but neither of us are more right than each other.

People around here are hung up on the whole coming out early thing due to basketball. Two different night and day stories. NBA can hide a guy at the end of the bench or the DLeague. NFL expects you to play and contribute NOW. It's highly unlikely any UK underclassmen is NFL ready, hopefully someday they will be. I just hope they've learned a lesson from the Boom thing, a major mistake in judgement.

You mean, like the NCAA ruled in UK's favor with Melvin Lewis, Lynn Bowden?
i'm a little foggy with Lewis. I remember he RS his first year here and then was hurt halfway through his last year and never played again. With Bowden, it was a clearinghouse issue, correct? That is cut and dry. You either have the grades and/or test scores as long as the dumbass UNCAA approves of your HS classes (ironic because they can't "rule" on your college coursework).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT