ADVERTISEMENT

Kanter was a long shot at best-other HCs have said-this-

ukfit

All-American
Jul 10, 2001
Our program is what it is.
Its without Kanter and middle of the SEC-E.
We have not been picked to win the East and we probably wont. HOwever,
I applaud Coach Cal for going for the gusto and had we gotten him we dont have this thread.

The problem is what was the back up?
Why does Florida, Georgia, Alabama and others have legions of beefy, big and tall players that are beating us?

The answer is there was not a back up plan and we could not lure the bigs here we went for. Cal went for the best or none at all. Thats cool, too, except the none at all are cleaning his clock in the SEC.

Thats ok too, you say and Cal says, cause we will be there in the NCAAT.
Maybe we will as we are ranked 11, but dont we have to win some of those
insignificant conference games now to get a good seed and better our chance to go deep in the tourney?

Yes.
We need better depth to win in the NCAA don you think?
Cal admits we have no depth.
Whose fault is that?

It is Cals fault.
Dont get me wrong, I love the guy and nobody is infallible.
BUT-he needs to get this corrected and have some insurance bigs in case his top targets fail.
JMHO.
This post was edited on 2/7 7:33 AM by ukfit
This post was edited on 2/7 7:44 AM by ukfit

Originally posted by ukfit:
Our program is what it is.
Its without Kanter and middle of the SEC-E.
We have not been picked to win the East and we probably wont. HOwever,
I applaud Coach Cal for going for the gusto and had we gotten him we dont have this thread.

The problem is what was the back up?
Why does Florida, Georgia, Alabama and others have legions of beefy, big and tall players that are beating us?

The answer is there was not a back up plan and we could not lure the bigs here we went for. Cal went for the best or none at all. Thats cool, too, except the none at all are cleaning his clock in the SEC.

Thats ok too, you say and Cal says, cause we will be there in the NCAAT.
Maybe we will as we are ranked 11, but dont we have to win some of those
insignificant conference games now to get a good seed and better our chance to go deep in the tourney?

Yes.
We need better depth to win in the NCAA don you think?
Cal admits we have no depth.
Whose fault is that? It is Cals fault. Dont get me wrong, I love the guy and nobody is infallible. BUT-he needs to get this corrected and have some insurance bigs in case his top targets fail. JMHO.

This post was edited on 2/7 7:33 AM by ukfit

This post was edited on 2/7 7:44 AM by ukfit

I respect the fact you have an opinion but I find it laughable.

Kanter committed to the school whose president is now the head of the NCAA - Washington.

Florida has a nice rotation in the post made up of primarily SR's who weren't good enough to go pro. All the other teams you mentioned have one legitimate post player that I'd like to have on UK's roster (Green and Thompkins). Where are you getting "legions on beefy, big and tall players"? That's ridiculous.

Our back up plan was Harrelson behind Orton. Cal never envisioned a kid that averaged 3 ppg and 3 rpg would get drafted in the NBA first round. Believing he had Orton and Harrelson he did not recruit any other post players. When it became apparent Orton may indeed leave Cal went after the best post player in the high school ranks - Kanter. Everyone associated with UK athletic department (Barnhardt and Bell specifically) thought Kanter would be ruled eligible, with some minor penalty a possibllity, due to the new rules being changed involving Euro players.

Anyone who thinks Cal doesn't want to win every game (conference games included) is delusional. He just ultimately wants to win the NCAA title over anything else and he tries to bring his teams along to where they are peaking in March.

We have no depth because we set a record for the number of players we had get drafted in the first round of the NBA draft, 5, and obviously the unexpected loss of Kanter. Concerning Kanter, why has Bilas, Vital, and the dUKie on CBS all grilled the NCAA president for his opinion on Kanter if it was so cut and dried in your opinion?

You have absolutely no credibility at all anymore in my opinion. Your knowledge of basketball is severly lacking. No what you're talking about before you start a ridiculous thread like this.

I am pretty sure its "kno" instead of "no."
At least I can spell and you are no expert.

Spotter, your reply is, well, spot on. At least until you excoriate the OP in your final paragraph. Like we all, he's entitled to his opinion and perception of the way things seem to be.

The big forward that practiced with Patterson, etc. who as jc transfer that got cut and left the program should have been retained I think-what was his name? Started with a P. Matt Pilgrim or something.
He held his own against our bigs in 09 in practice.
This post was edited on 2/11 7:59 PM by ukfit

First of all Orton was predicted as coming back and being our starting center, and why with the trouble Pilgrim has been in at OK would you want him? Follow Billy G if you are upset with the recruiting now.

Its possible he could have done better here ; he might be a bit bitter and sometimes that affects ur actions status post transfer.
Just food for thought but it is also possible Cal saw it and didnt like it.
If so, I am good with it but still, he was a wide that hung in nicely with the star bigs we had and it is undeniable.
Who knows.

But this drought had better not happen again with Cals teams because he is too good to let it happen.
One more thing. I am not cool with pushing any of these guys out the door and building them up saying theyre ready to go to the NBA soon as they step on the court.

I know Cal does it to get more blue chippers in cause they leave after one year but the bottom line is the big successful coaches dont leave the cupboard bare. EVER.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT