ADVERTISEMENT

Jodie Meeks

My favorite player of all time before I graduated HS. I mean I named my account after his legendary performance where he set the record in an opponent’s gym (f’n bad*** imo). Happy to hear he’s still enjoying the game.
Yeah Jodie was a bright spot in a dark time. I wish like the rest of us he returned to play for Cal his first year. I can only imagine that team with a shooter like him.

My favorite player of all time before I graduated HS. I mean I named my account after his legendary performance where he set the record in an opponent’s gym (f’n bad*** imo). Happy to hear he’s still enjoying the game.
And this is where Meeks delivered the true highlight of the night. He was fouled with 4:11 remaining and stepped to the line for a chance at just the fifth 50-point game in Kentucky history. Everyone seems to agree that Chism and Maze were inexplicably still jawing at him. There are conflicting reports, however, about the exact language when Meeks finally broke his silence. Footage from the TV broadcast shows him saying something to Maze, who is closest to him on the left side of the lane, but his mouth is partially obscured.

Leach: “This was later backed up by other people around UK: He leaned over to Bobby Maze and said, ‘In case you lost count, this is 50.’ The crazy thing was he hadn’t made the free throw yet. He just knew he was going to make it. And that’s apparently the only thing he said the whole night.”

Leach’s recollection of what Meek said may be cleaned up just a bit. Three sources, none of whom wanted to go on the record, agreed Meeks used “50” and a colorful expletive in his declaration.

And this is where Meeks delivered the true highlight of the night. He was fouled with 4:11 remaining and stepped to the line for a chance at just the fifth 50-point game in Kentucky history. Everyone seems to agree that Chism and Maze were inexplicably still jawing at him. There are conflicting reports, however, about the exact language when Meeks finally broke his silence. Footage from the TV broadcast shows him saying something to Maze, who is closest to him on the left side of the lane, but his mouth is partially obscured.

Leach: “This was later backed up by other people around UK: He leaned over to Bobby Maze and said, ‘In case you lost count, this is 50.’ The crazy thing was he hadn’t made the free throw yet. He just knew he was going to make it. And that’s apparently the only thing he said the whole night.”

Leach’s recollection of what Meek said may be cleaned up just a bit. Three sources, none of whom wanted to go on the record, agreed Meeks used “50” and a colorful expletive in his declaration.
Patterson also spoke for Meeks. I don’t remember who he said it to but he said something like “y’all are still trying to talk and he just hung 54 on you in y’all’s gym.”

As someone who competed myself I couldn’t imagine jawing at an opponent who was kicking my a**.

Last edited:
After this thread I went back this morning and watched the game over again. The looks on the faces of the players like they could do nothing about it, because they couldn't, has made my day. 🤣

Patterson also spoke for Meeks. I don’t remember who he said it to but he said something like “y’all are still trying to talk and he just hung 54 on you in y’all’s gym.”

As someone who competed myself I couldn’t imagine jawing at an opponent who was kicking my a**.
Talkin shit while gettin your ass busted is a loser ass thing to do. Losers don’t talk shit. They work to get better to become winners so then they can talk shit.

Who recruited Jodie?
Jodie was part of that 2006 recruiting class with Derrick Jasper and Perry Stevenson who said coming in they were gonna bring the school out of the minor slump Tubby had been in. They might well have done it too, with smooth sailing. But instead Derrick’s knee turned gimpy and Tubby kind of decided to phone everything in from then on.

Absolutely love the Patterson quote.

Who talks sh*t while they're being absolutely WHIPPED? :)

UT, that's who. They needed to be 10% tougher that night.

If only he’d played one more season. With Wall, Bledsoe, Boogie, etc. Oh what might have been.
People like to say this, but it ignores the fact that we almost certainly would not have had Bledsoe if Meeks returned.

Bledsoe was a late summer recruit who chose us over Florida after Meeks announced he was leaving and that starting guard spot opened up for him. That decision-making equation totally changes if that spot is already locked up.

We were getting either Meeks or Bledsoe, not both.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
People like to say this, but it ignores the fact that we almost certainly would not have had Bledsoe if Meeks returned.

Bledsoe was a late summer recruit who chose us over Florida after Meeks announced he was leaving and that starting guard spot opened up for him. That decision-making equation totally changes if that spot is already locked up.

We were getting either Meeks or Bledsoe, not both.

Meeks would’ve been far better imo. Bledsoe was understandably an inconsistent freshman. Meeks would’ve been a very steady and consistent producer, and was actually bigger than Bledsoe.

Jodie was part of that 2006 recruiting class with Derrick Jasper and Perry Stevenson who said coming in they were gonna bring the school out of the minor slump Tubby had been in. They might well have done it too, with smooth sailing. But instead Derrick’s knee turned gimpy and Tubby kind of decided to phone everything in from then on.
I believe Jodie was a three star, those three weren't exactly anybody's Fab Three coming in, surprised they would say they were the second coming. Jodie became a long career NBA-er, but don't think anybody would have seen NBA written all over him from jump street.

I believe Jodie was a three star, those three weren't exactly anybody's Fab Three coming in, surprised they would say they were the second coming. Jodie became a long career NBA-er, but don't think anybody would have seen NBA written all over him from jump street.
They didn’t say they were the second coming. They said we’ve been talking together and we know the fans want more and we’re gonna give it to them so don’t worry.

Jodie, Derrick, and Perry were all definitely four-stars, though, and that was an improvement over where Tubby had been recruiting except for his 2004 windfall. And those were the three who talked together and said that: I should have been more clear.

Last edited:
They didn’t say they were the second coming. They said we’ve been talking together and we know the fans want more and we’re gonna give it to them so don’t worry.

Jodie, Derrick, and Perry were all definitely four-stars, though, and that was an improvement over where Tubby had been recruiting except for his 2004 windfall. And those were the three who talked together and said that: I should have been more clear.
You're right Jodie was a 4 star, 39th rank in his H.S. class, number 7 shooting guard.

Uhh… excuse me… This is the university of KENTUCKY, not the university of Jodie Meeks

He's a very good player ,what difference does it make we are ahead by 2... Ole miss is playing very good. This is not a one man team and that's really a bad question. I can quote that word for word smh.

Reactions: jrpross
Myron Medcalf from ESPN has a list of top 25 performances over the past 25 years and Meeks at UT is 17th. Any idiot who thinks there's 16 better performances over the past 25 years is nuts. Not only did he score 54 points but his shooting line of 15-22 overall, 10-15 from 3 and 14-14 free throws to go along with 8 rebounds and 4 assist has to be top 5.

Story here

Myron Medcalf from ESPN has a list of top 25 performances over the past 25 years and Meeks at UT is 17th. Any idiot who thinks there's 16 better performances over the past 25 years is nuts. Not only did he score 54 points but his shooting line of 15-22 overall, 10-15 from 3 and 14-14 free throws to go along with 8 rebounds and 4 assist has to be top 5.

Story here
Some of those are a joke, however #15 was a heck of a performance.

Story here
A lot of those performances were ranked where they are because of when they were played. The clutch factor of the tournament was big on that list. Heck he had AD’s performance in the 2012 title game at #10 even though he only scored 6 points. If Meeks’ game has been at a time when it mattered worth a crap it would have been top 3 if not #1.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT