ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy Buffett Dead at 76

Just to get it out of the way.

chinese-buffet.jpg

Sad for me to hear this. Apparently had been coming for a while.

I attended ~25 of his concerts, all but one in Cincy, first at Timber Wolf at Kings island before he really got big and then at Riverbend. Went to four (of five) there one year. He made a live album between those concerts and ones in Atlanta the same year.

"Jimmy Buffett’s official website has revealed the musician and mogul’s cause of death.

Buffett, 76, died at home Friday in Sag Harbor on Long Island, New York, from skin cancer, according to an obituary posted to the site.

He had been battling Merkel cell skin cancer for four years, which the National Cancer Institute describes as a rare carcinoma which usually appears as a single painless lump on sun-exposed skin and tends to metastasize quickly. It is second to melanoma as the most common cause of skin cancer death."

I love and will continue to stay at Margaritaville in Gatlinburg. Awesome place!

Where was the bar that inspired 'Margaritaville'?​

Various stories in the Statesman archives say "a Mexican restaurant on Anderson Lane." More than one source online says it was Lung's Cocina del Sur, at 2700 W. Anderson Lane, now home to High 5 Austin, a bowling alley.

They've been doing some great tributes on the Sirius/XM Margaritaville station. I had forgotten about a few of these songs my buddy in HS used to play a lot when we'd be swimming at his pool in the summertime. He was the only Buffett fan I knew at the time, an older soul whose dad kinda led this idealized Buffett lifestyle. I was a fan of a couple deep cuts like "Wonder Why We Ever Go Home" and "Something Feminine About A Mandolin." He had a bunch of really well-crafted songs outside of the goofier numbers.

Reactions: parrott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT