ADVERTISEMENT

Jasper johnson nears commitment after peach jam

In that twitter photo he looks like he's praying for UK, and looks to be having the most fun in the UNC jersey. But it could be Alabama. That's what the Bob & Tom show said.

Well I’m gonna read so much into these 3 poses. The only basketball clearly showing the school name is UK, which his foot is firmly planted. He’s not smiling, but “gratefully” contemplating his future at the greatest basketball school in history 😎

If pope gets him to commit without coaching a game thats big time. Thats all i have to say

It would be YUGE.

And you know what. If I'm the Athletic Department and the boosters, I pony up for this kid. Throw him an extra $500k. Because that would be such a huge get, and a huge boost for Pope, this early in his career.

You want to set Pope up to succeed? Make this happen. Make Jasper Johnson be what John Wall was for Cal and UK in 2009. A commitment like this could pay for itself over the next decade.

Gonna be a big red flag if UK misses in this kid. Pope has never recruited on this level, gotta get the homegrown guys at a minimum.

It’s not gonna be a red flag at all. Very good chance he’s at UNC and they’ve been on him a very long time. Pope just got here. Your constant insinuation that every single thing that happens in the immediate shows trolling at worst and a lack of understanding toward Pope’s position at UK right now at best.

I think it’s UNC personally. There have been some rumors his family and Hubert really like each other. You also have to consider NIL, and today that’s gonna carry the most weight. UNC has really prioritized him and they might be willing to go higher than us. Just looks that way to me but I could be wrong. Until Oats leaves Alabama, which he will soon, he’s gonna be an issue.

But this constant nonsense about everything in a few months that goes wrong with Pope is a red flag or is something to fear long term is pure nonsense. Pope has known the family for A FEW MONTHS. Does this also mean if he gets him it shows Pope is the next coach K?

We’ve been taking GREAT players out of NC for a long time now. They still got the most banners. You need to chill out. There’s no guarantee his impact is going to be that big anyway, he’s a freshman. He might end up at 3 more colleges down the road and we don’t even want him. We don’t know. Stop.

Last edited:
I can't tell if his lukewarmish embracing of Kentucky is a tactic to garner more NIL or if it's legit. That's certainly the right play if your goal is to get the best possible deal out of Kentucky (and I can't blame him for that if so).

However, even when Calipari was here Johnson was talking about being a UNC fan. His recruitment hasn't really made sense. So, I think either A) It's an NIL play to get more out of Kentucky or B) Kid wants to make a different path than his dad and get out of state.

The good thing is that there are other good backcourt players in-state , like Magwood, and we are in good position with other guards. So, not end of the world, but yeah, not great optics.

It’s not gonna be a red flag at all. Very good chance he’s at UNC and they’ve been on him a very long time. Pope just got here. Your constant insinuation that every single thing that happens in the immediate shows trolling at worst and a lack of understanding toward Pope’s position at UK right now at best.

I think it’s UNC personally. There have been some rumors his family and Hubert really like each other. You also have to consider NIL, and today that’s gonna carry the most weight. UNC has really prioritized him and they might be willing to go higher than us. Just looks that way to me but I could be wrong. Until Oats leaves Alabama, which he will soon, he’s gonna be an issue.

But this constant nonsense about everything in a few months that goes wrong with Pope is a red flag or is something to fear long term is pure nonsense. Pope has known the family for A FEW MONTHS. Does this also mean if he gets him it shows Pope is the next coach K?

We’ve been taking GREAT players out of NC for a long time now. They still got the most banners. You need to chill out. There’s no guarantee his impact is going to be that big anyway, he’s a freshman. He might end up at 3 more colleges down the road and we don’t even want him. We don’t know. Stop.
Correct and well said.

Reactions: Mulder14
I’ve never got great feelings about Jasper. Personally I think he’s in that vast 3rd tier of recruits in the class, so while he’d be nice, I’m not convinced he’s a game changer.

You can always have transfers out…but right now we probably project to have a core of Perry, Oweh, Noah, Chandler, and Garrison next year. You’ll want to be able to be players on a few impact transfers as well. I expect a 4 man recruiting class or less from high school with making lots of top 5/8s and not being picked by a bunch of kids.

On recruiting for the class as a whole nationally, it’s super intriguing. There is only one player committed in the top 25 at this point. We need dominoes to start falling elsewhere to get a clearer picture of our targets. You can tell we’re still so early that all the same programs are still recruiting all the same kids.

My personal uninformed opinion, the Alabama stuff is just a smokescreen to make the hype after a UK commit even bigger. No way the kid comes home, visits family, goes around town, etc, while wearing an Alabama tshirt. I will say that my UK friends have not heard anything, whereas they are hearing a lot of positive Moreno vibes.

Hope this is true. I’ve heard UNC has really prioritized him.

Your avatar photo is hilarious for a basketball board.

would like to see him take the same route as Shep, Perry & Noah.....home grown kids staying home
I just get the feeling that he thinks that he is too good to follow that route, despite this family ties.

I thinking its Ky because of his dad and his family and growing up following the cats.
His grandfather, Alvis, worked for UK Athletics after Derrick and Dennis Johnson were players. Alvis passed away last year, and Craig Yeast was one of the pallbearers (Harrodsburg ties). The Johnsons are an incredible family with deep athletic roots to UK. TBH, if Jasper goes elsewhere then it would be somewhat shocking to me.

His grandfather, Alvis, worked for UK Athletics after Derrick and Dennis Johnson were players. Alvis passed away last year, and Craig Yeast was one of the pallbearers (Harrodsburg ties). The Johnsons are an incredible family with deep athletic roots to UK. TBH, if Jasper goes elsewhere then it would be somewhat shocking to me.
It is puzzling why he grew up a North Carolina fan though. That’s not saying he wasn’t a UK fan also .

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Please explain why? Thes kind d of takes are just wrong. Not even remotely true it’s the university of Kentucky. We will be fine and dandy whom ever decides to ride with coach p
I said it would sting, not that it will crush the program or that we "wouldn't be fine". Of course we'll be fine.

He's a highly rated in state kid with family ties that the staff really wants. It's a bad look to lose kids like that, whether you'll be fine or not. Just like it would have been a bad look if Reed told UK no.

It doesn’t have to be Jasper but we do need to make a near future splash somewhere to break the ice and get this thing going. If it’s Jasper, great.
Hard to do when no prospect has seen a Pope-led UK team yet. Had Pope come from a program with national exposure the expectations could be different.

Unpopular opinion but other than being in-state kids Moreno and Johnson do not look like difference makers in their first year. Both look like multi-year players, if they ever are major contributors.

Hard to do when no prospect has seen a Pope-led UK team yet. Had Pope come from a program with national exposure the expectations could be different.

Unpopular opinion but other than being in-state kids Moreno and Johnson do not look like difference makers in their first year. Both look like multi-year players, if they ever are major contributors.
Respectfully, much of the same opinions were said about Reed, but I know there aren’t many Reed’s around.

Reactions: NociHTTP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT