ADVERTISEMENT

Its been nearly 40 yrs since Kentucky had a native son this good playing as a Freshman for UK!

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
His name is Reed Sheppard and Ill let you guess who the other one was nearly 40 yrs ago.

This is a special, special time for Kentucky born and raised UK fans such as myself..

Ive been waiting a long time for this day to come along and Im enjoying the hell out of it!

Reactions: AustinTXCat
With another word of thanks to Jon Scott for his marvelous work through the years ... I'm going to guess Winston Bennett.
Go 'Cats ! ! !

His name is Reed Sheppard and Ill let you guess who the other one was nearly 40 yrs ago.

This is a special, special time for Kentucky born and raised UK fans such as myself..

Ive been waiting a long time for this day to come along and Im enjoying the hell out of it!
Let's see, Rex Chapman, Winston Bennet, Derek Anderson, did I miss anyone.

Pervis Ellison?

Since the title of the thread includes "playing as a freshman for UK", pretty sure Pervis Ellison and Darrell Griffith are not the guy.

I'll go with Dirk, who was neck and neck with Isaiah Thomas that season as the top freshman guard in the country.

Last edited:
As fun as Rex was, he was not on the position metric as solid as Rondo. Rondo was a NBA point guard caliber player that was a gear ahead of his team mates most days.
You’re confusing NBA Rondo with college Rondo.

Rondo actually had a rather mediocre college career for someone who went on to be such a great NBA player. Surprisingly modest numbers, no significant individual honors (not even at the conference level) and his teams did nothing special either.

He obviously destroys Rex as an NBA player. But the same can’t be said for their respective college careers.

Let's see, Rex Chapman, Winston Bennet, Derek Anderson, did I miss anyone.
I think rondo actually had a rather mediocre college career for someone who went on to be such a great NBA player. Surprisingly modest numbers, never won any significant individual honors (not even at the conference level) and his teams did nothing special either.

He’s indisputably one of the greatest NBA players from UK ever. But I don’t think the same can be said about his college career.
Rondo is one of then rare guys who can impact a game without having eye popping numbers. Very few players have ever had the ability that rondo had on both ends of the floor. If he had a shot, we may be talking top 5 all time at the pg spot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT