ADVERTISEMENT

Is Sheron just not an option at all for the QB position?

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
As poorly as Leary has played so far, WHY did the Coen and Stoops decide NOT to allow Sheron to attempt even 1 FREAKIN pass last night????!!!!!

You would think in a blowout loss the staff would want to see how he performed in that environment with the game basically over.

The staff must have ZERO confidence that the kid will EVER be able to play here. SAD

Seemingly so

Wouldn’t ya think?

The coaches would be playing him if he were ready

As poorly as Leary has played so far, WHY did the Coen and Stoops decide NOT to allow Sheron to attempt even 1 FREAKIN pass last night????!!!!!

You would think in a blowout loss the staff would want to see how he performed in that environment with the game basically over.

The staff must have ZERO confidence that the kid will EVER be able to play here. SAD
You will know if Sheron is a realistic option by the way Coach Coen handles it. Coach Coen sees all of them in practice every day.

There was nothing accomplished long term that would have been positive

The staff does not think him ready, or they would have done so

Spent way too many dollars on the Leary to give anybody else a chance
This is obviously not true. Roles are won in practice. Leary hasn't been great, but his two worst performances have come against two of the better SEC defenses. You and I have no factual reasons to believe Sheron would have performed better. And as for the narrative that we just have to abandon everything, throw up our hands, and try something new, that is desperate and seldom works.

Then the answer is NO, he WON'T be an option to EVER play here. So that means Coen will have to bring in ANOTHER transfer QB next season to be a bridge for Boley and Saunders.
So you have the ability to predict the future?

Let's be honest. After yesterday, you and I have no idea what the answer is. So don't pretend you do.

Then the answer is NO, he WON'T be an option to EVER play here. So that means Coen will have to bring in ANOTHER transfer QB next season to be a bridge for Boley and Saunders.
Most of us knew that before your post

A true incoming freshman at UK would have almost 0 success

You will know if Sheron is a realistic option by the way Coach Coen handles it. Coach Coen sees all of them in practice every day.
The last time I checked practice doesn't prove a player's true ability. How many times have player's that can't get on the field through practice turn out to be studs.

Will Levis and TCU had a certain QB that was a backup through PRACTICE. Give them a fk'n chance to prove themselves...

Reactions: 23jumpboy
The last time I checked practice doesn't prove a player's true ability. How many times have player's that can't get on the field through practice turn out to be studs.

Will Levis and TCU had a certain QB that was a backup through PRACTICE. Give them a fk'n chance to prove themselves...
It’s not as proven as you seem to think

It’s not as proven as you seem to think
It's obviously not a very high percentage but it happens and it CAN'T happen if players aren't given a chance. Burton started at Center through PRACTICE. Some people are just different when they get on the field during games.

Spent way too many dollars on the Leary to give anybody else a chance
This^^^^^ . If I recall he is getting 30k a month? No way they bench him. But it isn't all his fault, there have been too many drops from the WRs.

This^^^^^ . If I recall he is getting 30k a month? No way they bench him. But it isn't all his fault, there have been too many drops from the WRs.
At this point I don’t get why nil money matters….he’s gone after this year so it’s not like we csn keep him for future…and if he can’t throw better then this…he’s not really winning games for rhis season other then running the ball thru people.

I don’t see why if he can’t execute the offense…why not a series for backup Qb to see if he csn hit a ten yard pattern?

I hope to be proven wrong, but at this point I'm not counting on Sheron EVER taking a significant role in Coen's future plans for this offense.
Rember this is not new Coach Stoops has never played the backup quarterback much

At this point I don’t get why nil money matters….he’s gone after this year so it’s not like we csn keep him for future…and if he can’t throw better then this…he’s not really winning games for rhis season other then running the ball thru people.

I don’t see why if he can’t execute the offense…why not a series for backup Qb to see if he csn hit a ten yard pattern?
If I'm one of the donors that made it possible for Leary to get that deal I am not happy. I think we'll start seeing donors having more sway than ever before.

Reactions: Dddjdd
Leary has been prone to injuries in the past. What if he gets hurt in the next few games and the next guy has no meaningful snaps to get acclimated? Then where are we at? It's coaching malpractice not to get another QB in during blow outs one way or another. I suppose they think Leary just needs more reps and the light will finally come on, but I just don't see it. He looks like a deer in the headlights half the time. And I don't mean to pile on the guy but compared to Levis his leadership skills and team comradery seem non-existent on this team.

That’s the downside of nil, donors think they should have a say

Thing that bothered me the most was that Smart was up a million points and puts his backup in throwing passes and still scoring touchdowns. Our backup goes in and it's like they didn't care about working on Sheron's passing or care about scoring another touchdown. Or maybe they was just saying 'thank you' to Smart for putting your backups in? The kid not throwing on every down to work on his confidence and maybe get another TD made little sense to me. Use every second to work on what you need work on the most.

Leary has been prone to injuries in the past. What if he gets hurt in the next few games and the next guy has no meaningful snaps to get acclimated? Then where are we at? It's coaching malpractice not to get another QB in during blow outs one way or another. I suppose they think Leary just needs more reps and the light will finally come on, but I just don't see it. He looks like a deer in the headlights half the time. And I don't mean to pile on the guy but compared to Levis his leadership skills and team comradery seem non-existent on this team.
Typical thinking our nonoffensive thinking HC! We come out second half down four tds our genius in charge gets deeper into the snap clock than the coach that's up 4 tds. A serious come to Jesus moment is needed for our HC about the NEED for scoring in cfb 2023.

Thing that bothered me the most was that Smart was up a million points and puts his backup in throwing passes and still scoring touchdowns. Our backup goes in and it's like they didn't care about working on Sheron's passing or care about scoring another touchdown. Or maybe they was just saying 'thank you' to Smart for putting your backups in? The kid not throwing on every down to work on his confidence and maybe get another TD made little sense to me. Use every second to work on what you need work on the most.
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about!!!!

It is CRAZY to put your backup QB into the game to just hand the FREAKIN BALL OFF to the RB instead of getting him some work against a competent defense(even if it was their backups)!!!!

BLOWS MY MIND!!!!!

Outside of injury, who is the last time we started a quarterback that we recruited out of high school? Drew Barker? I think that's the bigger problem.
This is so true! What high school quarterback would want to come here only to know he will become expendable due to the transfer portal and nil. Will Boley see a down? I doubt it

If I'm one of the donors that made it possible for Leary to get that deal I am not happy. I think we'll start seeing donors having more sway than ever before.
I get it.....but if Leary is losing games.....donors aren't going to be happy regardless. At this point, Leary NIL is a sunk cost......so if he can't throw vs other options....move on from him as he isn't a young kid that can grow into the spot. He's a final year SR no matter what.

I get it's complicated....and maybe a donor will be skeptical down the road to pony up for these things.

Reactions: Dddjdd and catben
What’s the incentive for the starting QB to remove his cranium from his rectum when he knows no one behind him is gonna take his job?

Stoops QB actions are a disgrace. Once
Leary gets hurt , which he will, Stoops will use that as an excuse.

Outside of injury, who is the last time we started a quarterback that we recruited out of high school? Drew Barker? I think that's the bigger problem.
That has definitely been one of Stoops biggest weaknesses here. We had Towles and Barker at the beginning of his tenure (Towles was recruited by Joker). Since then, our HS QB recruits have been Gunner Hoak, Danny Clark, Walker Wood, Amani Gilmore, Nik Scalzo, Beau Allen and Kaiya Sheron. That's just not good. Our inability to develop QB's out of HS is a major weakness.

Practice, we talking about practice man! Why even have practice

I get it.....but if Leary is losing games.....donors aren't going to be happy regardless. At this point, Leary NIL is a sunk cost......so if he can't throw vs other options....move on from him as he isn't a young kid that can grow into the spot. He's a final year SR no matter what.

I get it's complicated....and maybe a donor will be skeptical down the road to pony up for these things.
I think that’s it. Next offseason when Stoops says we need $500k to get this QB we need, they’d think about when Stoops said they needed Leary and he didnt live up to the price.

Reactions: K_TIME
I think that’s it. Next offseason when Stoops says we need $500k to get this QB we need, they’d think about when Stoops said they needed Leary and he didnt live up to the price.
You are 100% correct....the donors will be very wary to pony up this NIL (and it's all nonsense...UK dudes we get and everybody else doing this bullcrap).

UK needs to do a way better job of developing our own recruits and not need to fill in so many spots....it's a failure to have Beau Allen ready for this job and next year if Sheron/Wade arne't ready...it's poor coaching jobs.

We had to get a QB, RB, two tackles on offense and two guards. Nose guard and backup LB on defense. I'd imagine we had to pay for 4 the offensive guys. And as we peer into 2024....we'll need another QB....I have seen zilch out of any RB we have behind Ray ....so back to portal for a RB. And we lose Cox and Flax at tackle....we'll be back in portal for another tackle......and possibly some WR depending on what happens with Barion.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT