ADVERTISEMENT

Is Hawkins the Best Leaper on This Team?

thepip

Senior
Dec 31, 2009
treated with ambivalence
When you watch him in person (doesn't play that much) he can jump out of the gym. Last night it seemed like he was in on almost all rebounds under the basket, and, leaping above several.
happy0001.r191677.gif

Dominique Hawkins may not be as highly touted as his peers when it comes to his NBA potential, but his 44.5 maximum vertical leap ranks among the very best marks in our database.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3OnSM7bDA

The full Kentucky combine results were released to the public in pdf form. In other words, the answer to all your questions is just a Google away.

He is second behind EJ, that guy has a serious vert.

I'd love to see Hawkins play more, every time he's in the game he gives great energy and usually makes big plays; just a guy you trust knows what to do with the ball.

Originally posted by W_Heisenberg:
He is second behind EJ, that guy has a serious vert.

I'd love to see Hawkins play more, every time he's in the game he gives great energy and usually makes big plays; just a guy you trust knows what to do with the ball.
Hawkins has the highest vertical on the team (44.5) with Poythress following him at 41.5

Originally posted by W_Heisenberg:
He is second behind EJ, that guy has a serious vert
Originally posted by Nubb16:

Hawkins has the highest vertical on the team (44.5) with Poythress following him at 41.5
link? ej didn't participate in the combine and has no official measurements available online. just curious how either of you know.

Screen-Shot-2014-10-15-at-1.47.26-PM-600x378.png

This post was edited on 1/14 6:48 AM by throatpoker

link to full, official combine booklet

Dominique Hawkins isn't expected to be on the NBA radar anytime soon, but he reportedly registered a 44.5 maximum vertical leap at the combine. The mark is the third highest recorded in the Draft Expressdatabase, just behind D.J. Stephens' 46.0 and Kenny Gregory's 45.5. His vertical tops the likes of Muggsy Bogues, Nate Robinson and Vince Carter.

Here

Dominique Hawkins isn't expected to be on the NBA radar anytime soon, but he reportedly registered a 44.5 maximum vertical leap at the combine. The mark is the third highest recorded in the Draft Expressdatabase, just behind D.J. Stephens' 46.0 and Kenny Gregory's 45.5. His vertical tops the likes of Muggsy Bogues, Nate Robinson and Vince Carter.
I have the official measurements from the combine, I posted them already. How exactly does that definitively settle the debate between who has the highest vert between EJ and HawK?

This post was edited on 1/14 6:58 AM by throatpoker

Honestly who cares about the "database" What I saw last night tells me that he has the highest Vert. among those seeing the floor. When he jumped for that rebound put back my jaw dropped and had he caught it and put it back it would have been a MONSTER slam and I probably would have fallen out of my chair!
eek.r191677.gif

He just needed to get his timing right.

Originally posted by throatpoker:
I have the official measurements from the combine, I posted them already. How exactly does that definitively settle the debate between who has the highest vert between EJ and HawK?

This post was edited on 1/14 6:58 AM by throatpoker
What info do you have that settles the debate that EJ has a higher vert than Hawk?
smile.r191677.gif

After looking at those measurements, I find it hard to believe that Alex has 10% body fat. He is one of the most chiseled players. Not sure where he is hiding that fat.

What info do you have that settles the debate that EJ has a higher vert than Hawk?
huh? I don't have it and never claimed to. You and Heisenberg were the one making definitive statements like the info is available. So asked for a link. Still waiting....

Here's something else for you throatpoke

#CatFacts

"Eric is one the fastest players I've ever coached. His length (78" wingspan) and outstanding leaping ability (40" vertical) allow him to play bigger than listed. -John Calapari

Already saw that in the google results posted along with opinions about the vertical rankings of players on last years team, but still no measurements. While you're at it though, feel free to post up a link with an actual measurement to bledsoe's vertical. I'd be interested to see that as well.

There's nothing more exciting in basketball than watching a little guy just absolutely elevate off the floor. Hawkins is not very skilled but from a pure athleticism standpoint, he's right up there on this team. I wouldn't be surprised if EJ had a similar vertical. He's a track guy, and you remember that dunk he had over Julius in last year's blue-white game. He can jump.

As I age my bouts with CRS become more frequest but I seem to remember hearing that Hawkins won a dunk contest this summer while traveling with some team overseas. Anyone else remember that?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by TruBluCatFan:
As I age my bouts with CRS become more frequest but I seem to remember hearing that Hawkins won a dunk contest this summer while traveling with some team overseas. Anyone else remember that?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Yes. Hawk on how he won the dunk contest, "they didn't have no athletic guys on their team".

Looking over those stats, it's hard for me to believe that the twins have verticals in the high 30s and that Dakari has a vertical of 34". Maybe the test was to see how far you could fall from a standing start off an elevated object?

World class athlete
Plays extremely hard
Understands the game

'Bout time he got in the rotation.

Especially in the Mississippi game when that little guard was torching us, I was wondering if Cal had forgotten our tournament run last year when Hawkins shut down whoever was going off for the other team. He can't shoot, we get it. But he's the best on ball defender we have and he plays balls to the wall every minute he's in the game. I hope he gets a permanent spot in the platoons. Whenever necessary, we can shift things up, like Cal did in the Texas game or the Louisville game, but in general I'd like to see Dom in a 10 man rotation.

Originally posted by ganner918:
Especially in the Mississippi game when that little guard was torching us, I was wondering if Cal had forgotten our tournament run last year when Hawkins shut down whoever was going off for the other team. He can't shoot, we get it.But he's the best on ball defender we have and he plays balls to the wall every minute he's in the game. I hope he gets a permanent spot in the platoons. Whenever necessary, we can shift things up, like Cal did in the Texas game or the Louisville game, but in general I'd like to see Dom in a 10 man rotation.
40 minutes of Hawk and Tyler will keep the other teams pg in a mess. GBB

I've been privy to seeing them both play in pickup games (have attended a few camps here and there), trust me..EJ has the highest vert. Haven't went out and actually measured either though, just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT