ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Impact Analysis: Wimsatt to Rutgers

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
I feel like we've covered this well enough that this is just tying together things you already know. I want to shoot completely straight with you and don't want you thinking this is a hedge.

For starters, Wimsatt has real talent. Even if you don't agree with the ranking (and I would not at all be surprised to see it change significantly over the course of the rest of this recruiting cycle) you don't get to that spot in the Rivals100 unless you have some talent.

He's as smooth as it gets at the quarterback position. In terms of making it look effortless, Wimsatt's got that quality in spades.

But no question, there is a huge disconnect between the ranking and the offer list. What's the reason for that? The state championship game last year was a red flag. Another is that there is apparently some concern over his ability to retain and process based on what I've heard from a number of people.

Kentucky is not going to be trying to flip Wimsatt. This I have been told with certainty.

They would have taken him, even this week. He's got enough talent and there aren't enough obvious sure-fire other talents on the board that you'd turn him away. As I've said before, if there's a quarterback with several Power Five offers from the Commonwealth, UK is probably always going to target that guy, or almost always.

I don't think the ranking on this site or another influenced UK's decision to go after him, but it sure as heck adds a layer of complication. There's a political element to everything. If Wimsatt goes to Rutgers and crushes it as a Rivals100 kid and UK didn't even try to recruit him, that would look bad. If Wimsatt had been a middling three-star guy (which is frankly probably how they really think of him all things considered) and they didn't pursue him and he goes to Rutgers and does great, that's less problematic for them.

I don't think Kentucky would have pushed their chips in if they knew he was going to let it drag out as long as he did. The main thing is I think it bothered folks that he shunned UK even though his other options weren't what you would perceive to be as great. If it were Ole Miss, as I've said, that'd be one thing. Rutgers, Cincinnati, etc.? They'd probably just as soon wish they hadn't gone out on that limb for him.

UK was under the impression that there was a lot of negative recruiting going on in this one. Related to UK not passing well in a very long time, uncertainty regarding the future of the offense (as they put it), etc.

My understanding is QB is not a pressing need to '22 but they will indeed give Destin a shot at quarterback and that's part of the pitch from both Kentucky and Tennessee. Again also, with the portal being as prevalent and powerful as it is, there are just more ways to get your quarterback now. I think Sheron has been better than some probably expected and that helps give them some cushion.

I was very careful to tap those brakes on Wimsatt's prospect status even when he was a Rivals100 who was NOT committed to UK or elsewhere so I would have the credibility to say this either way, before or after the commitment. If he had committed to Kentucky I would be telling you that they're hopeful about his potential but I'd add that the floor is a concern. Now that he is committed elsewhere I will say the same thing for Rutgers. If the light goes on he can be really good, but wouldn't shock me if it doesn't happen.

Even right up until the end there were a couple of people in the situation who were conveying things like "I don't know where (the Rutgers talk) is coming from," but Kentucky's coaches have been doing this for a while and they just didn't buy that.

Frankly, I do not believe Liam Coen is going to be upset by Wimsatt going to Rutgers. A big part of me believes he may actually breathe a sigh of relief that he can go get who he wants and have the kind of control over the QB selection and development that you'd probably want to have yourself as the offensive coordinator.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News