ADVERTISEMENT

I'm all-in on Pope.

CatsFan4Evr.

All-American
Nov 27, 2003
And I hope you guys give him a chance as well. Is he my first pick, or even my 10th? Hell no. But he is who we have, and I'm going to ride with him. His teams at BYU are fun, and the man can coach. Can he recruit to the level we need? That remains to be seen. But I'm willing to give him a chance before I completely give up on him.

Let's f**king go.

Might as well be cause he is here now.

It's time to start looking forward and help instead of harming. We need players to come here now and they need to feel like they are coming to a place that has it's crap together.

Reactions: catzcan
Same. If it works out, it will be one of the greatest things ever. Or it could be a total bust.

What about when we win 8 games next season?
That is a possibility that we all knew about if Cal left. I am fine if that happens so long as the program makes a leap forward the next year. It will all depend on what we can get out of the portal.

I'm pumped. I really am.

maybe it blows up maybe it doesn't but we're going to have an offense that shoots 3s , has good spacing and plays smart ball.
I think the fans that focus on basketball like this hire (or are at least ok with it). The ones that wanted the flashy coach because they think it validates something aren't happy. I'm happy to give Pope a chance. I see the possibilities. I see he could give us what he claim we wanted.

And I hope you guys give him a chance as well. Is he my first pick, or even my 10th? Hell no. But he is who we have, and I'm going to ride with him. His teams at BYU are fun, and the man can coach. Can he recruit to the level we need? That remains to be seen. But I'm willing to give him a chance before I completely give up on him.

Let's f**king go.
Yep, I'm not really happy about it. In fact, at first I thought it was a joke and then I was pretty ticked off. I was never mad at Mark Pope. He's a UK guy and I know his heart is all in when it comes to being here. I was ticked off at Mitch Barnhart. This was his 3rd option, apparently. I don't understand the thinking on that. I don't think anyone could convince me that Pope should have been the 3rd option. I'm thinking he could have been the 10th option, maybe as high as 7 or 8 if you just absolutely love the guy. But he hasn't even won an NCAA-T game.

Ok, enough of that. This is where we are. I am all in. I do see some positives there. His offense is very good. Managing to squeeze 23 wins out the group he was working with this last season is impressive. He beat Kansas. He beat Baylor.

So, can he recruit? We really don't know yet. Utah Valley St? Who is gonna go there? BYU? They have to sign a no sex agreement, a no alcohol agreement, AND they have to take a 1-year (or 2-year) Mormon mission. When you consider that, the fact that he got any good players to play and win 23 games in the Big12 is impressive. So, I'm all in on Mark Pope. I know he's a smart guy and has a great mind for basketball. Let's see how the coaching staff looks and how the team looks and go from there.

“The University of Kentucky is the pinnacle of coaching in college basketball. It’s the definition of blueblood program where hanging a banner is the expectation ever year. Equally as important, UK changed my life forever as a human being. The love and passion I have for this program, this University and the people of the Commonwealth goes to the depth of my soul.“I’m thankful to Dr. (Eli) Capilouto and Mitch Barnhart for this opportunity. I’m proud to be your next head coach and I can’t wait to do this together!”

We really don't have a choice unfortunately..I hate the hire but will still cheer and hope for the best. Rah Rah..

What about the Perry kid? Doesn't he seem like a perfect player for Pope's system? What if we have good team every year with one or two Kentucky born players on the team and contributing most years?

Also, wasn't it rumored that Pope was a freaking genius of some sort when he was at UK? I know brains don't necessarily translate into coaching prowess but Hurley sure as hell looks like an egghead and I like having the smartest guy in the room on my side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT