ADVERTISEMENT

I Like Our (Current) Team Better

ib4ky

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2005
Early in this basketball season I've noticed there are alot of EX-UK players around the nation. I found a total of nine (so far) that are currently playing in the NCAA.

EX UK Players (2023/24: Points/ Rebounds/ Assists)
Wheeler (Wash) 17.3/ 3.3/ 5.8
Frederick (Cin) 7.0/ 1.5/ 1.0
Collins (LSU) 3.8/ 1.8/ 0.0
Ware (Vill) 0.5/ 2.5/ 0.8
Brooks (Wash) 23.0/ 7.6/ 1.8
Allen (W Ky) 8.3/ 3.0/ 0.5
Hopkins (Prov) 13.0/ 8.2/ 1.4
Askew (Cal) 10.0/ 5.7/ 3.0
Fletcher (Fla St) 9.5/ 4.8/ 1.3

UK Players (2023/24: Points/ Rebounds/ Assists)
Reeves 18.2/ 5.2/ 2.2
Dillingham 16.0/ 4.2/ 4.6
Mitchell 14.4/ 6.6/ 3.4
Wagner 11.8/ 2.4/ 3.4
Shepherd 10.6/ 3.0/ 3.0
Edwards 10.0/ 4.8/ 1.2
Thiero 8.5/ 7.5/ 0.3
Burks 1.8/ 3.4/ 0.4

A rainy day hypothetical: With the above stats, pick the nine EX UK players above OR pick our current roster, minus our TBD twenty one feet????????

For the most part, I've really enjoyed the upbeat, faster paced team that Kentucky has placed on the floor so far this year and I DO NOT LIKE quitters!!!!!
So, Go Big Blue!!!
#FreeBigZ
#HealABrad
#HealUgO

Early in this basketball season I've noticed there are alot of EX-UK players around the nation. I found a total of nine (so far) that are currently playing in the NCAA.

Reeves 18.2/ 5.2/ 2.2
Mitchell 14.4/ 6.6/ 3.4
Wagner 11.8/ 2.4/ 3.4
Shepherd 10.6/ 3.0/ 3.0
Edwards 10.0/ 4.8/ 1.2
Thiero 8.5/ 7.5/ 0.3
Burks 1.8/ 3.4/ 0.4

A rainy day hypothetical: With the above stats, pick the nine EX UK players above OR pick our current roster, minus our TBD twenty one feet????????

For the most part, I've really enjoyed the upbeat, faster paced team that Kentucky has placed on the floor so far this year and I DO NOT LIKE quitters!!!!!
So, Go Big Blue!!!
#FreeBigZ
#HealABrad
#HealUgO
Jemarl Baker plays for New Mexico.

Reactions: ib4ky
Honestly, the only person that I wouldn't mind having right now is Lance.
For his rebounding maybe, but he wasn't cut out for here. He played big minutes in big games because of his hustle. But he also killed us numerous times and those errors changed the outcome. Against KSt last year, he single handedly cost us. He had a few unforced turnovers near the end of that game. One instance, he received the ball near midcourt, dribbled and threw it away. He had an errant pass down low not long after that was stolen. To be fair he should've never been put in those positions. I loved his hustle and fight down low but I'm glad those days are gone. I'm not throwing him under the bus. It is what it is.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Hopkins is the only player on there that I liked.
That dovetails w/ my first thought on seeing the list: Bryce is the only one who could get minutes on this year's team. (That's discounting the current situation at the 5, and assuming 1/2 of our bigs will soon be available)

I hope Damion Collins can get it together. I always liked his attitude and potential. I wish it would have worked out for him here.

I know a lot of people would disagree, but I am happy to see Askew is having a decent start at Cal. He took a lot of probably undeserved heat for being put in a position he didn't belong in. Always seemed like a good person.
What position was that?

He was supposed to be the number 1 point guard in his class before he reclassified.

Everyone wanted him.

Our current team would beat the brakes off the former players. But I'd take Lance Ware back in a heartbeat. Loved that guy. Have us 100% of what he had at all times.
Lance Ware was beyond useless to ever have on a basketball floor with anything that even resembled an offense. No thanks. His game was no more than a Bill Laimbeer type (albeit with no real talent), get a rebound or punch you in the face. One of the two worst players (along with Wheeler) that Cal ever brought here - and that’s saying something.

• Love
Reactions: deep3
What position was that?

He was supposed to be the number 1 point guard in his class before he reclassified.

Everyone wanted him.
He was never the quality of guard we needed to be a starting pg. Particularly not as a reclass. He was a 4* in the class he ended up in according to Rivals and 247. They had him as the 33rd and 37th recruit respectively. ESPN had him 26th. He was the 7th ranked PG in that class. So he either wasn't rated as highly as you're saying in his original class or it was a very weak class. Either way, he was in a bad position coming here.

Also, just being highly ranked doesn't mean you're a good fit for any program.

Reeves 18.2/ 5.2/ 2.2
Mitchell 14.4/ 6.6/ 3.4
Wagner 11.8/ 2.4/ 3.4
Shepherd 10.6/ 3.0/ 3.0
Edwards 10.0/ 4.8/ 1.2
Thiero 8.5/ 7.5/ 0.3
Burks 1.8/ 3.4/ 0.4

So, Go Big Blue!!!
#FreeBigZ
#HealABrad
#HealUgO
The Past UK players would struggle to win 20 games. Imagine a backcourt of Wheeler/Askew/Allen/Frederick. Very little shooting, stupid decisions, no rebounding.

Reactions: ib4ky and chroix
I know a lot of people would disagree, but I am happy to see Askew is having a decent start at Cal. He took a lot of probably undeserved heat for being put in a position he didn't belong in. Always seemed like a good person.
No he was vastly over rated, I’m surprised he’s averaging 10 a game honestly. I mean he is a senior now I’d guess. He was bad, even his first 2 years at Cal.

Reactions: chroix
Honestly, the only person that I wouldn't mind having right now is Lance.
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

For his rebounding maybe, but he wasn't cut out for here. He played big minutes in big games because of his hustle. But he also killed us numerous times and those errors changed the outcome. Against KSt last year, he single handedly cost us. He had a few unforced turnovers near the end of that game. One instance, he received the ball near midcourt, dribbled and threw it away. He had an errant pass down low not long after that was stolen. To be fair he should've never been put in those positions. I loved his hustle and fight down low but I'm glad those days are gone. I'm not throwing him under the bus. It is what it is.
I would only want him to take Burks spot.

Our current team would beat the brakes off the former players. But I'd take Lance Ware back in a heartbeat. Loved that guy. Have us 100% of what he had at all times.
I honestly love Lance. Dude obviously isn’t very skilled whatsoever, but he always brings fight, energy, and a great attitude. Think he would be a great leader on this time and we could have used his size (atleast right now).

Reactions: DCFseattle
Lance Ware was beyond useless to ever have on a basketball floor with anything that even resembled an offense. No thanks. His game was no more than a Bill Laimbeer type (albeit with no real talent), get a rebound or punch you in the face. One of the two worst players (along with Wheeler) that Cal ever brought here - and that’s saying something.
I love Ware, lay off the kid. He done nothing but good things for the program.

Bryce Hopkins still hurts a little. Not that he’s showing out like Big Hair Barkley up at Providence, just that it still seems like the right coach would have a diamond in the rough there. Other than that, meh.

Sorry but Khalil “the dragon” Whitney was the worst player Cal has brought here and it isn’t close. A bigger bust I cannot remember in the history of college basketball.

I would only want him to take Burks spot.
Love Burks. He hustles and is a decent rebounder. He is NOT at his comfortable position due to the absence of our bigs. I think he has a lot of talent and we will see it, especially the next few years as the game slows down for him. Of course he may decide to go in the portal before then.

Love Burks. He hustles and is a decent rebounder. He is NOT at his comfortable position due to the absence of our bigs. I think he has a lot of talent and we will see it, especially the next few years as the game slows down for him. Of course he may decide to go in the portal before then.
I like the guy too, but he's not needed to play his natural position on this team. That's the only reason I would rather have Ware.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT