ADVERTISEMENT

I have a question about one of the calls the official made Saturday.

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
I haven't watched the replay on TV to see if the announcers address it but there was an instance in the 2nd half where the refs called UK for a illegal formation for what sounded like having too many or not enough men in the backfield. They marked off the penalty but also announced it was a loss of down. Stoops lost his mind on the sideline and the ref then said UK had called a timeout. After the timeout was over the ref came back on the PA and said it wasn't a timeout but rather that they had a discussion with the UK coach. After the discussion it looked like they gave the yardage back but still said it was 3rd down. I don't think I have ever seen an illegal formation be a loss of down before. Is that at the option of the coach if it's the yardage or loss of down?

It was definitely amateur hour out there Saturday. I recall the play you’re referring to and I remember shaking my head. First in confusion, and then in frustration to the lack of an explanation from the broadcasters. And finally, in amazement, realizing it was such a bad call that there was no explanation to give. Lol. A true “God bless their hearts” moment for the refs.

Reactions: JPFisher and CGblue
I haven't watched the replay on TV to see if the announcers address it but there was an instance in the 2nd half where the refs called UK for a illegal formation for what sounded like having too many or not enough men in the backfield. They marked off the penalty but also announced it was a loss of down. Stoops lost his mind on the sideline and the ref then said UK had called a timeout. After the timeout was over the ref came back on the PA and said it wasn't a timeout but rather that they had a discussion with the UK coach. After the discussion it looked like they gave the yardage back but still said it was 3rd down. I don't think I have ever seen an illegal formation be a loss of down before. Is that at the option of the coach if it's the yardage or loss of down?

Iirc ball state declined the penalty. Looked like a young receiver didn't check with the official to declare on or off

Reactions: CGblue and Katonic
Iirc ball state declined the penalty. Looked like a young receiver didn't check with the official to declare on or off
That would make more sense but when the ref announced the penalty I thought he mentioned something about too many or not enough men lining up in the backfield. I may have heard him wrong since the lady behind me was busy yelling the whole game that they were giving it to Davis too much.

Ball State declined the illegal formation penalty to get the loss of down late, and confused the crew.

Reactions: EliteBlue
That would make more sense but when the ref announced the penalty I thought he mentioned something about too many or not enough men lining up in the backfield. I may have heard him wrong since the lady behind me was busy yelling the whole game that they were giving it to Davis too much.

Correct. It was caused by a young receiver not checking with the official to indicate on or off the line.

Too many men in the backfield. Receiver was 1/4 of a yard too far back. The official did initially announce 2nd down. Then came back when UK was set and then announced Ball St declined the penalty so 3rd down.

Reactions: JPFisher and CGblue
Correct. It was caused by a young receiver not checking with the official to indicate on or off the line.
He did check, and pointed that he was off, but he should have been on.

Penalty was deckined to take the result of the play, but somehow it all got screwed up.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
It was definitely amateur hour out there Saturday. I recall the play you’re referring to and I remember shaking my head. First in confusion, and then in frustration to the lack of an explanation from the broadcasters. And finally, in amazement, realizing it was such a bad call that there was no explanation to give. Lol. A true “God bless their hearts” moment for the refs.
My fav moment like this was when my son was playing coach pitch baseball. They had one ump at the games. That night when the ump came over there, I though he doesn't look 15. We hit a ball in the 1st inning down the 1st base line and it died in the running lane 2' foul. The 1st baseman pickedbit up stepped on 1st base and this kid adamently calls him out. He gave his best impression of a major league ump in a big game. Every one stood with their mouths open. Turned out he didn't know what a foul ball was. He must have never played baseball and they had him umpiring.

They ended up declining the penalty and took results of they play. So, the down goes to 3rd and put the ball down where the play ended. Officials didn't handle well. Should have given both options upfront. Looked very bad.

They ended up declining the penalty and took results of they play. So, the down goes to 3rd and put the ball down where the play ended. Officials didn't handle well. Should have given both options upfront. Looked very bad.
Initially it was like they penalized the yardage but also took the down. I think that is why Stoops was losing his mind on the sideline.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
Too many in the backfield is what results if a receiver or TE that is supposed to be “on” lines up too far back and is off the LOS. So that’s likely the call that was made.

Too many in the backfield is what results if a receiver or TE that is supposed to be “on” lines up too far back and is off the LOS. So that’s likely the call that was made.
Yeah I understand what too many men in the backfield is but it doesn't result in a loss of down and yardage as initially indicated. I just wasn't clear what the correct call was because at the game they weren't real clear on what was going on.

Well, as a receiver, you're not required to check with the official, but you better make sure you're right where you're supposed to be if you don't. If you do check, they'll acknowledge and give you some leeway that they wouldn't necessarily give you if you don't.

Reactions: jauk11
Well, as a receiver, you're not required to check with the official, but you better make sure you're right where you're supposed to be if you don't. If you do check, they'll acknowledge and give you some leeway that they wouldn't necessarily give you if you don't.
And if you are not lined up correctly they will usually tell you to move up or back. And if they are moving at the snap it can create a dilemma. for the official that told you to move, when that movement coincides with the snap so the player is either illegally in motion or not set at the snap.

And if you are not lined up correctly they will usually tell you to move up or back. And if they are moving at the snap it can create a dilemma. for the official that told you to move, when that movement coincides with the snap so the player is either illegally in motion or not set at the snap, when the official caused the illegal motion or not being set at the snap.

That officiating crew was confused all day. Dear God, they were horrible.
They were all over the diving over the top during the punt by UK.
Would have still been a game had that call not been made.
Next play, Sweet Baby Ray for 75 biguns and a TD.
Game Over

Reactions: jauk11
Always the option of the coach to accept or decline the penalty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT