ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical recruiting question ??

megablue

All-American
Oct 2, 2012
If Pope can get three or more 5-star recruits that are likely to be one-and-dones, should he take them ?? Seems like a potential situation where his hard recruiting work, NIL$$$ and the KY name allows him to be more able to sign these higher-profile athletes than he’s ever been used to. A conundrum, it seems …

IMO, your one and done players have to be elite for it to work. You can’t depend on guys like Brandon Boston and Chris Livingston. But if you mix 2 or 3 elite freshman (no more than that imo) with transfers and returnees, you 100% take them.

IMO, your one and done players have to be elite for it to work. You can’t depend on guys like Brandon Boston and Chris Livingston. But if you mix 2 or 3 elite freshman (no more than that imo) with transfers and returnees, you 100% take them.
I understand and tend to fully-agree, but can you develop a fully-competitive team through the portal, when elite Freshmen are recruited and committed ?? Everybody wants increased opportunities for playing time. Some won’t come because others are …

Last edited:
If Pope can get three or more 5-star recruits that are likely to be one-and-dones, should he take them ?? Seems like a potential situation where his hard recruiting work, NIL$$$ and the KY name allows him to be more able to sign these higher-profile athletes than he’s ever been used to. A conundrum, it seems …
5* is not enough. Lots of 5* are disappointing, don’t contribute as FR. So I think it depends on 2 things, 1) how elite is the player, will he be a difference maker as a FR; and 2) if he isn’t a near guaranteed elite difference maker, then do you think he will be realistic and have reasonable expectations

5* is not enough. Lots of 5* are disappointing, don’t contribute as FR. So I think it depends on 2 things, 1) how elite is the player, will he be a difference maker as a FR; and 2) if he isn’t a near guaranteed elite difference maker, then do you think he will be realistic and have reasonable expectations
If likely to be a one-and-done, should Pope recruit them ?? If so, how many and does their coming prevent immediate, experienced portal help from coming ?? That is the conundrum I see, essentially.

Pope is in an entirely new environment and it will be interesting to see he he handles it.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKrazycat2
Not wanting any 5 star freshmen is a declaration of not wanting almost any stinkin' upside.

The idea is not over depend on them and mix them in with more experienced players not to run to some silly extreme of as close to a nursing home as can be cobbled together.

Reactions: Zissou87
IF there are some of the 5 starts (maybe 3) that are willing to come to Kentucky and work to EARN their playing time; then I'm good with it. I think that's what CMP will be doing.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
No more green room recruits no more "greatest day in Kentucky's storied history getting 5 players in the 1sr rd draft " only players who live and die for these letters K-E-N-T-U-C-K-Y Go CATS

I think we should go all in on five star freshmen that are hyper athletic but can’t shoot and are primarily focused on their individual talents and less concerned about team goals. Sounds like a winning formula to me.

• Haha
Reactions: deplion and KFuqua
The risk of relying on the transfer portal is about to rise sharply. I would not want to be in a position of using it for anything other than backfilling unexpected departures.

Reactions: catlogic15
He should construct the team with the main priority of team success. If three 5 star recruits look to be the best way to do that, then sure.
If a coach focuses on winning championships and that involves 5 Star players that’s fine but all to often rankings are BS. All 5 Star players are not the same so IMHO your priority has to be your system that makes these players show off their talent within it. You will notice the NBA dream was never mentioned.

Reactions: Zissou87
We only take transcendent/elite players if they promise only to practice and use our facilities without risking their future NBA careers.

Sincerely, John Calipari

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
Not wanting any 5 star freshmen is a declaration of not wanting almost any stinkin' upside.

The idea is not over depend on them and mix them in with more experienced players not to run to some silly extreme of as close to a nursing home as can be cobbled together.
You are definitely correct. My question is what about the turnover effect of one-and-dones and the impact signing them will have on portal transfers and potential returnees. It is a conundrum, the way I see it. I do not pretend to know what the best approach is, recognizing that you always want the best players that fit your system, but it will be interesting to see how Pope and staff handle things.

Last edited:
I'm ok taking 5 stars that want to play hard and win games and not looking to be one and done. If they happen be one and done then there is not much you can do. Ranking do not mean that much to me. 4 stars are fine by me if they can play at D1 level and want to play for UK.

Shaeden Sharp ain't walkin' through that door
You forgot about Vanderbilt too our bench became a wait and hold place for athletes only biding time to get to the nba under that shitshow maestro thank God he took his act to hogville good riddance 👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT