ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley's Agent Told him to Not Say Anything

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
I was watching Hurley being interviewed on the Pat McAfee show and he asked him about the Kentucky job opening and Cal leaving. He told him that his agent told him to not say anything.

Read between the lines.

That is NOT a no right now.

That means... there is still hope for Hurley!

By the way this interview happened yesterday!

Tune in at the 8:50 minute mark.

Maybe UConn could match or beat what UK can offer, but it would really be tough on UConn. From other articles that have been posted their athletic is not on the best financial ground right now. If it's a bidding war UK wins that easily. But does Hurley want to leave and pass up a chance to go for a 3peat for UConn next season. I guess he could go for a 3peat but it would be at UK. ;)

Again, everyone forgets how coaches speak in situations like this.

UConn cannot compete with UK's money right now.

If the $$$ is higher at UK than the raise he gets at Uconn, should make him consider!

I'm holding out for hope until it's official there is a definite no. We have yet to confirm that.

The position UConn is in as an athletic department vs UK firmly safe from realighnment and profitable in the SEC has to be a consideration. Even more than our history and status possibility. Doesn't mean he'll come, but he has to consider this before making a decision.

The more I think about this the more I think there is a chance. Assuming, of course that Mitch/UK makes the mega offer in the first place instead of going straight to Drew.

The position UConn is in as an athletic department vs UK firmly safe from realighnment and profitable in the SEC has to be a consideration. Even more than our history and status possibility. Doesn't mean he'll come, but he has to consider this before making a decision.

The more I think about this the more I think there is a chance. Assuming, of course that Mitch/UK makes the mega offer in the first place.
We won't. Mitch will ignore the boosters and hire Drew.

Maybe UConn could match or beat what UK can offer, but it would really be tough on UConn. From other articles that have been posted their athletic is not on the best financial ground right now. If it's a bidding war UK wins that easily. But does Hurley want to leave and pass up a chance to go for a 3peat for UConn next season. I guess he could go for a 3peat but it would be at UK. ;)
Winnng a championship at 2 different schools is nothing to sneeze at. Spreading a 3peat over 2 schools? Unprecedented.

Last edited:
What about his wife????

Apparently she doesn’t want to leave the Northeast. Probably similar to Pitino’s wife back in the 90’s, thinks Lexington is beneath her.

Could $12 million/year sway her????

I know you want Drew so bad, but again Uconn can't match us right now financially.

The money coming in from the conference realignment. There is no way Uconn can compete with that.
Uh, I do not "want Drew so bad". I'm ok with either. I'm thrilled with either. I simply don't think Drew is as terrible as some here, and that Hurley's 'personality' may lead to more problems than some here care to admit or see.

What about his wife????

Apparently she doesn’t want to leave the Northeast. Probably similar to Pitino’s wife back in the 90’s, thinks Lexington is beneath her.

Hell, get her a private jet to go back and forth. It’s so easy to travel these days.

I think Hurley has always been a long shot, but I do hope we are making this push. At the very least to make UConn dip into their limited budget.

A major raise that still doesn't rival what we can pay him.

They can't but they don't have to imo. He seems like a guy who would stay as long as their raise is competitive.

That said, his "phone broke Saturday" comment was obviously total bs. So who knows if he can be believed.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Uh, I do not "want Drew so bad". I'm ok with either. I'm thrilled with either. I simply don't think Drew is as terrible as some here, and that Hurley's 'personality' may lead to more problems than some here care to admit or see.
What personality problems? Has it lead to problems for UCONN? No. It lead to back to back titles.

What is it with people who care about his personality? His job is not to have a personality. His job is to WIN. He's literally the embodiment about that.

I bet if he came here and won 2 titles or even 1, you wouldn't care about his "problems' that would come with his personality you claim.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
I'm not setting myself up for anything. I'm fine with whatever.
Fair enough. People fully believing Hurley is coming here are kidding themselves. With everything w know about Mitch and what he likes/dislikes it makes it easier and clearer to see that Drew is the choice if he accepts the job

What can you do with 75 mil that you can't with 40 mil?
Ask Pitino, he wasn't happy after leaving UK for millions more.

What personality problems? Has it lead to problems for UCONN? No. It lead to back to back titles.

What is it with people who care about his personality? His job is not to have a personality. His job is to WIN. He's literally the embodiment about that.

I bet if he came here and won 2 titles or even 1, you wouldn't care about his "problems' that would come with his personality you claim.
You're right. I'm sure it'll be fine if he's on an $11M a year contract, the banners don't come, he's snapping at reporters, yelling at fans, and calling opposing players "MFer" during games. You're right. BBN is an understanding bunch, and will let it slide. I'm sure the national media will let it slide too.

• Haha
Reactions: Farsight

I'll be at least somewhat content knowing that Hurley is breaking Uconn's bank, maybe literally. You want the best coach in the game? You have to pay for it. If Uconn can't pay for it, oh well.

Places like Kentucky and the surrounding sports markets have had to deal with larger markets outbidding them for decades. This is the one time Kentucky gets to reverse the tables. The rest of the US.. places like NYC (Uconn more or less) and LA can deal with it.

I was watching Hurley being interviewed on the Pat McAfee show and he asked him about the Kentucky job opening and Cal leaving. He told him that his agent told him to not say anything.

Read between the lines.

That is NOT a no right now.

That means... there is still hope for Hurley!

By the way this interview happened yesterday!

Tune in at the 8:50 minute mark.

It’s only good business. If he comes out and says he’s not interested like Oats did, then Mitch won’t even bother with a gigantic contract offer that Hurley can then take to UConn and demand a huge raise.

What about his wife????

I have lived in the NE/mid-Atlantic for over 10 years, and I can tell you emphatically that Lexington is not "beneath" most places in the NE. The bad rap for Lexington is that the rest of the state sucks so bad (sorry, but it is true). Lexington itself is a great place to live!

I have lived in the NE/mid-Atlantic for over 10 years, and I can tell you emphatically that Lexington is not "beneath" most places in the NE. The bad rap for Lexington is that the rest of the state sucks so bad (sorry, but it is true). Lexington itself is a great place to live!
But it’s her perception of what Lexington is that matters. And most people from the northeast that haven’t been here think that Lexington is just some podunk city.

I love the state of Kentucky and would HATE living in the northeast, but that’s because I know the difference. She apparently does not.

But it’s her perception of what Lexington is that matters. And most people from the northeast that haven’t been here think that Lexington is just some podunk city.

I love the state of Kentucky and would HATE living in the northeast, but that’s because I know the difference. She apparently does not.
People from New England hate the south. Feelings mutual.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT