ADVERTISEMENT

How good was James Lee?

One additional comment about James Lee. Coach Hall during an interview a few days after the 78 championship game was talking about the different personalities on that team. Coach said he couldn't criticize or "get on" several players(particularly Macy) if the team wasn't playing up to par or a play broke down because they couldn't handle it and it had a negative effect on their performance. But he said to get the teams attention he would jump all over James on a broken play even though he wasn't the culprit because James could handle it. Coach also said he couldn't pass out many compliments or"atta boys"to the team or individual players because when he did they had a tendency to "let up." He said after one game where James had played an outstanding game he saw James alone and put his arm around him and said "James you know I can't bragg on you during a game or practice but I want you to know how much I appreciate your great effort and you played one of the best games i've ever seen."
So, coaches have been taking care of prima donnas before Cal got here? Really?

Phillips, Robey and Lee!!! Opponents were leaving with some bruises.
And don't forget Givens, arguably the best college player of the 4 we recruited for the 1975 season. Goose's number should be retired. He was one of UK's all-time greats and almost single-handedly gave us our 1978 title. He is beloved, but I think a bit underrated. I thought Mike Pratt deserved to be honored the way he was this year, but so does Givens.

Lee was a 6'5'' brute who could dunk on almost anyone. He couldn't shoot from beyond 8-10 feet to save his life though. He certainly contributed to the 1978 title team, but he was not one of UK's elite type players like Davis, Grevey, Hagan, Ramsey, Dampier, Walker, Nash, Mashburn, Wall etc.

NO HE WASNT.....THERE WASNT 3 PT LINE THEN. he was a tough as nails defender and rebounder. i remember watching him and goose playing the state tournament at freedom hall. they played for lexington bryan station if i recall right. and wasnt skin and bones then he was a man among boys.

Givens = Bryan Station

Lee = Henry Clay

Would love to know what his PER was . His senior year he averaged 11pts, 5 rebounds, 1 assist , and 3 turnovers in 22 minutes a game . Surprisingly (to me ) he averaged more minutes as a sophomore than as a senior.

For his career he averaged 9pts., 5rebs., 1assist, in 20 minutes per game .

Nope. They were in the same regional tournament. Givens and Bryan Station beat Lee and Henry Clay in the regional final. Only Bryan Station went to the State Tournament. Givens was on the All-State Tournament team that year. In the State Tournament, Bryan Station lost in the semifinals to Male (Darrell Griffith and Bobby Turner).
Seems like I remember Owensboro having a good team back then with Kenny Higgs . Lots of people thought we should have recruited Higgs and said he wanted to come here but for some reason we didn’t and he went to LSU . Hmm , wonder if Kenny Higgs is related to Mark Higgs , the UK running back from Owensboro. Owensboro needs to produce some more Higgs !

Would love to know what his PER was . His senior year he averaged 11pts, 5 rebounds, 1 assist , and 3 turnovers in 22 minutes a game . Surprisingly (to me ) he averaged more minutes as a sophomore than as a senior.

For his career he averaged 9pts., 5rebs., 1assist, in 20 minutes per game .
Robey broke his leg that year and Lee started in his place. They went on a 10 game win streak at the end of the year to win the NIT championship.

Reactions: yoshukai
I was 14 when he was a senior, can remember always anticipating and hoping for one of his slicing monster dunks. Different bball in those days, wish we could go back.

Reactions: K86
Seems like I remember Owensboro having a good team back then with Kenny Higgs . Lots of people thought we should have recruited Higgs and said he wanted to come here but for some reason we didn’t and he went to LSU . Hmm , wonder if Kenny Higgs is related to Mark Higgs , the UK running back from Owensboro. Owensboro needs to produce some more Higgs !
Mark is Kenny’s younger brother.

• Wow
Robey broke his leg that year and Lee started in his place. They went on a 10 game win streak at the end of the year to win the NIT championship.
Great memory! I remember the nit run (and that was when the nit meant something) but totally forgot about Robey injury. Seems like we played Cornbread Maxwell and UNCC charlotte and Providence . Those are the only 2 teams I remember.

Great memory! I remember the nit run (and that was when the nit meant something) but totally forgot about Robey injury. Seems like we played Cornbread Maxwell and UNCC charlotte and Providence . Those are the only 2 teams I remember.
That was Mike Phillips' best season statistically because of Robey's absence he became more of a priority. Larry Johnson and Reggie Warford were a solid backcourt too.

I always "Assumed" Smooth was 70 years old.
Guess that's what I get for "Assuming" anything.
People talk about how tough Bennett was. I said this in another thread. James Lee would've chewed up Geri curl Freshmen Bennett and spit him out.
As someone mentioned earlier. He stepped on the big Russian's toes before tip off. Just to let him know he wasn't afraid and was not going to back down from him or anyone else.
These MCDONALD'S 5 stars that Cal brought in regularly. Would have crapped down their legs going up against Lee. Imagine someone like Bradshaw. He would've been shoved into the 5th row by Lee repeatedly.

He and Jack had some legendary games in high school. He was our first Charles Hurt type enforcer that was a better all around player than hurt. Say a Chuck Hayes type of guy. He and Jack with Roby and Phillips were some guys that would battle on the glass. Was not afraid to move you out of the way.
People would wait outside the gym at Bryan Station and Henry Clay to try and get in to see them two go at each other. Complete opposites in style and personality but great friends and great players. They called them Silk (Jack) and Steel (James). Robey and Phillips were King and Kong!

During Jack and James' high school careers the four public schools at the time, Bryan Station, Henry Clay, Lafayette and Tates Creek would have double-headers each year in the Coliseum when it would seat 11,500. Those games were terrific and almost always completely sold out - in some cases SRO. Great multi-sport athletes were on the floor at all times back then and it was a treat to see them compete and go head to head

I went to those. The heydey of Lexington High School basketball. I remember that 74 recruiting class of Givens, Lee, Robey and Phillips being one of the first mega classes known after they started kind of ranking those things. It was cool to have two local kids be a part of that.

Really good high school player. He and Goose had some epic battles back when Lexington basketball really was good.

For the era, Lee was good. Unfortunately, IMHO, he is a guy who would not thrive in today's game. Because he was always used on the interior prior to college, his range was limited. Handle was more that of a 4, but at 6'6", today he wouldn't be that big for a 4 and no 3 skills.

But as 6th man, great motor. Mix it up with anyone for rebounds,, loose balls,, etc. Bulkier and better hands then Charles Hurt. Better skills around the block too
They were so popular back then as a duo kids would either where Blue and Yellow tube socks or Green and Yellow depending on who they followed.

See what ya'll done, you got me on the nostalgia thing now and I wont be able to stop!

Reactions: NC Weasel
May be the toughest player ever to wear the blue and white. When he would come in the game, the atmosphere and excitement level would go through the roof.
His trademark dunks were thunderous! I saw him play many times and the best of all was his dunk against UNLV at Rupp.
The crowd went insane and I thought he tore the backboard down. His elbow was stuffed down into the net. Amazing player.
Wish we had him next year!!

I understand. Or what was the reason you walked in to a room in the first place ! lol
HaHa yeah! I guess I was referring mostly to the roster turn over every year now. I can even remember their uniform numbers better then. College basketball is really headed for the toilet now. I think Pope will retain more players than what we've been doing every year for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT